Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm very curious as I would like to understand exactly why as I may be purchasing one soon.

I was looking for a black+rose gold watch above $1,000 and came across the Edifice which is visually what I'm looking for!
Then I searched for black+rose gold G-Shocks and I love the look too!

I noticed some people/friends with higher end watches also have a G-Shock.

What makes them so popular because their toughness? Is it also an on-going trend; owning a G-Shock?

If I had to choose a Rose Gold/Black watch should I purchase a new G-Shock. I just need a stylish everyday watch that won't "get old". I

Which would be the must-have for my humble collection? I have 2 Lum-Tecs, an Omega Seamaster 300m, and a Breitling Colt.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
gshocks are almost indestructable, cheap and dont look half bad. i have a few and wear them all the time when im out somwhere i would need to be careful with an expensive piece

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gshocks are almost indestructable, cheap and dont look half bad. i have a few and wear them all the time when im out somwhere i would need to be careful with an expensive piece
Hmm. I've been wearing my Omega for less than a week since I just bought it and it's already acquired some hairline scratches on the clasp. Ugh!

I'm thinking of either buying the 2nd G-shock pictured or the Edifice.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
They're the quintessential 'beater' or dress-down watch and as said above their nearly indestructible. Ive had several over the years and they've handled everything I intentionally or unintentionally put myself through :lol:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
G-Shocks are popular because there are a plethora of styles each with many color variations. And each style is loaded with features including multiple alarms, an hourly signal, a stopwatch, countdown timer, world time mode, and of course basic date functionality. Certain models add on larger displays to show more information at once, and special features like a thermometer, compass, barometer and altimeter, or flyback stopwatch. Most have backlit displays, and many have solar panels so you rarely (10 years?) need to swap the battery, and others have atomic time synchronization with national atomic clocks each morning. Add to this they're very durable, and you have a winner.

But the thing which 'grabs' you once you really start looking is how many combinations of styles and colors there are, which makes them just kind of fun. And for the money, while expensive compared to cheap plastic watches you might find at a retail store, they're manufactured to pretty high standards. Some people here and in my personal experience seem to shirk them but, again, they're just fun and cool.

edit: not to push my own wares, but here are a couple copies of my own.

GW-5600J - solar atomic, pretty subdued. Standard feature set. About $75.

GW5600J by Lunitic, on Flickr

GWF-1000 "Frogman" - one of their top models, machined and DLC-coated stainless steel screwback case, a few extra features. I paid $675 but the Yen has fallen to the dollar so it can be had for less.

GWF-1000 by Lunitic, on Flickr

G-9300GY "Mudman" special edition. Like the Frogman, has moon data!

G-9300GY by Lunitic, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I've got quite a few pieces, yet still own a G-Shock. I know a lot of guys that do the same. I'm not into the bright colored ones and whatnot, but I do own a GW-5600J (same one as pictured above). They're tough. Great for any time that you intend on beating on your piece.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
they are not the type of watch id ever wear to an event or somewhere where it required anything other than a tshirt and shorts but for a day out on the boat wakeboarding, yard work, or just something nice and different they are great little watches. their price point makes them aquirable and able to match them to just about any casual outfit. I have a few and i absolutely love my Haze limited anniversary one. I get more compliments on that watch than any panerai or nicer watch i own

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some of the Edifice's with the carbon fibre like dial look pretty cool.

The G-Shock used to be THE watch everyone at school wanted back in the 90's. The ultimate status symbol :p

·
7,022 Posts
G Shock is a great piece for sure. Rose gold and black over 1K? The RG AP ROO Rubberclad fits into that category. Get it and a G Shock for a beater.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the opinions everyone.
I'm trying to decide tonight whether I'm going with these three

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i for one, hate g-shocks, i think they are ugly, why would someone pay $100 let alone $1000 is beyond me :whistle:
Certain ones are, but I like the new ones. I haven't been a G-Shock fan since I was a kid until recently.
$100 is about the price of going on a dinner date.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I never thought I would hear of a G-Shock selling for over a grand. I don't own one, I personally went with Suunto simply because not everyone and their mom has one.

Are they that great of watches or is it just because they got a lot of hype and popularity from celebrities wearing them? I just don't really get it. Seems like as soon as celebs starting bedazzling them, they started rolling out with these high priced G-Shock. I remember when they weren't popular, not taken seriously, and cost about $20-30.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Are they that great of watches or is it just because they got a lot of hype and popularity from celebrities wearing them? I just don't really get it....
The fact that D-Bag celebs starting wearing them for sure impacted the prices on them but they are legitimately good beater watches. I wouldnt not pay a grand for one...but for 100-200 bucks they are worth every penny.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The fact that D-Bag celebs starting wearing them for sure impacted the prices on them but they are legitimately good beater watches. I wouldnt not pay a grand for one...but for 100-200 bucks they are worth every penny.
I can see that. I almost bought one but as I said earlier I decided to go a different route for my beater watch simply because I wanted to be different, and function wise, I think Suunto's are pretty bad ass. I wear these a hell of a lot more than my nicer watches. Sometimes I forget they're on and they take abuse very well.

I first bought the Suunto Vector (in all black) and then later on I got the X-Lander Military (2nd pic side by side)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I never paid attention to what celebrities wear. It makes me dislike the brand more.

I just bought the white Aviation G-Shock. First G-Shock purchase down ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts