Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bored today, and thought about this. I know a few people buying crashed cars and fixing them, but not on the same plane as the Gallardo of course. I was thinking to myself this couldn't be so bad. Finding one hit in the front, or side, replace parts and actually take my time to enjoy the build. Now, this project is really peaking my interest for a few reasons, one is I have access to the auction, the paint and any labor involved will be free, and I will get discounts on parts. After all is said and done, send it to UGR for a stage 1 build.

Now my dilemma is, taking the time to build this car (months) and having it for quite some time. Obviously buying a crashed car is only worth what the person is willing to pay for it. I'm not fond of all of the current gadgetry involved in new automobiles, (and at 23) you'd think I would be. I simply want to build a monster G, and keep if for a very long time.

My question to you all is, have you, or anyone you know built a crashed exotic and actually held onto it for a long time? I'd hate to take a year to build it and sell it 3-4 years down the road. I've had 4 cars so far, and the longest period of me keeping one is 2 years. This car is of course a much higher caliber car than an M3, so I think being the exotic factor, as well as the power it provides should keep me held over for quite some time. I've spoken to a few G owners, and the reliability isn't something that worries me. I found quite a few DIY for it actually. And it certainly helps I can turn a wrench. Car will be e-gear.

If anyone has a link to a build, please share it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
If you could find one without a salvage title, you'd be off to a good start.. but most of the cars that are wrecked are supremely wrecked. An insurance company isn't going to write off a 100,000$+ car for a few fenders a bent rim and blown struts. I just did a quick look and 99% of them are written off. To me, thats a terrible investment if you ever want to resell the car after taking it to UR.... when you get bored of it.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
TT kit from UG is around 100k........if you have funds to send it to UG I'm sure you have more than enough to get a brand new G......just sayin'...

Reactions: Pushn'lbs

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
OP, most of the crashed cars are more trouble than they're worth. It's hard to find a good candidate, and the resale will blow. If you plan on putting a ton of miles on it and keeping it for many years, you may not care. But you need to balance your potential savings against the resale hit.

TT kit from UG is around 100k........if you have funds to send it to UG I'm sure you have more than enough to get a brand new G......just sayin'...
Stage 1 is $35,000 installed, and makes 900whp on race gas. Stage 2 is $65,000.

Obviously the reason he's considering repairing one is that it would be cheaper, regardless of whether or not he can afford a brand new Gallardo. I also think it's pretty presumptuous to assume he can afford a brand new G just because he mentioned UGR.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I would never send a salvage/previously hit gallardo to UGR..

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'll be real honest, i or my father will never buy a new car. I don't care what it is. And a stage 1 is not anywhere close to 100k.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would never send a salvage/previously hit gallardo to UGR..
Why? As far as I'm concerned, they are the best in the business. They shouldn't have a problem. I think of it as i'm responsible for body/paint, and they do their thing to the motor. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
You sound like a kid who doesn't have any real life experience, or your parents pay for your toys. The paint any bodywork are free? How does this happen? Materials cost money, labor cots money. I assume your parents own a repair shop of some sort, but its irrelevant because what you really mean is your parents would be paying for the parts and labor (assuming they don't beat your ass for such an ignorant assumption)

Secondly, do you think anyone buying a car like that isn't going to do the research when making the investment and find out it was a total or high $$ claim? Its ALWAYS cheaper to pay more for a quality car, then save a few grand and buy a basket case, so why would someone want to buy your rebuild?

Do yourself a favor and forget this idea. If there was a way to not lose your shirt on it, you wouldn't see as many smashed up super cars for sale on the web, but its a lose lose.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Why? As far as I'm concerned, they are the best in the business. They shouldn't have a problem. I think of it as i'm responsible for body/paint, and they do their thing to the motor. Am I missing something?
more then you know....

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you could find one without a salvage title, you'd be off to a good start.. but most of the cars that are wrecked are supremely wrecked. An insurance company isn't going to write off a 100,000$+ car for a few fenders a bent rim and blown struts. I just did a quick look and 99% of them are written off. To me, thats a terrible investment if you ever want to resell the car after taking it to UR.... when you get bored of it.

You are absolutely right about this.

Your whole statements entails my dilemma, I somewhat want a big project, to have something to look back on with my father and say we built it etc.. But I just don't know how long I will feel passionate about the car after it's done. We all have our line, whether is comes to power and looks. We say we won't get bored with 900whp, or a verde ithica paint scheme, but who's to say what happens 10 years from now? This is my problem, and honestly the only thing hindering my decision.

I'm open to doing other cars as well, but I want something with road presence, and a big motor.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You are absolutely right about this.

Your whole statements entails my dilemma, I somewhat want a big project, to have something to look back on with my father and say we built it etc.. But I just don't know how long I will feel passionate about the car after it's done. We all have our line, whether is comes to power and looks. We say we won't get bored with 900whp, or a verde ithica paint scheme, but who's to say what happens 10 years from now? This is my problem, and honestly the only thing hindering my decision.

I'm open to doing other cars as well, but I want something with road presence, and a big motor.
I'm doing something like this with an M3.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You sound like a kid who doesn't have any real life experience, or your parents pay for your toys. The paint any bodywork are free? How does this happen? Materials cost money, labor cots money. I assume your parents own a repair shop of some sort, but its irrelevant because what you really mean is your parents would be paying for the parts and labor (assuming they don't beat your ass for such an ignorant assumption)

Secondly, do you think anyone buying a car like that isn't going to do the research when making the investment and find out it was a total or high $$ claim? Its ALWAYS cheaper to pay more for a quality car, then save a few grand and buy a basket case, so why would someone want to buy your rebuild?

Do yourself a favor and forget this idea. If there was a way to not lose your shirt on it, you wouldn't see as many smashed up super cars for sale on the web, but its a lose lose.

yes, we have a repair shop. When I say labor and materials are free, it means money does not have to leave our pocket to pay someone to do it for us. I won't argue your points, as they are valid. But people buy crashed cars everyday and fix it, let's face it. An exotic will be tough to re-sell, yes I know, hence my headscratcher kind of issue..

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm doing something like this with an M3.

E9X? Nice platform for sure, and a motor that will be remembered. But I feel like I've seen so many modded ones that I have no desire to do it. Modding the e9x has been pretty well documented with both the motor (ess) and body with custom paint, and individual colors. It certainly is tempting to buy a low mileage 09, slap an VT650 on it and shoot a nice color. But I feel it's been done ALOT already.

Anyway, do you have pics?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
E9X? Nice platform for sure, and a motor that will be remembered. But I feel like I've seen so many modded ones that I have no desire to do it. Modding the e9x has been pretty well documented with both the motor (ess) and body with custom paint, and individual colors. It certainly is tempting to buy a low mileage 09, slap an VT650 on it and shoot a nice color. But I feel it's been done ALOT already.

Anyway, do you have pics?
E46. And I haven't bought it yet haha, hopefully sometime in the next month

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Used early G's are less than new Escalade's now. I'd rather go that route. You'd have to keep it forever otherwise IMO, and I know I don't have the discipline to do that.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
yes, we have a repair shop. When I say labor and materials are free, it means money does not have to leave our pocket to pay someone to do it for us. I won't argue your points, as they are valid. But people buy crashed cars everyday and fix it, let's face it. An exotic will be tough to re-sell, yes I know, hence my headscratcher kind of issue..
What's your opportunity cost of that labor and materials? If you think money doesn't have to leave your hand for them, you're in for a surprise. Do these people make hourly wages, do you have to pay suppliers for parts, do these people lounge about and do nothing when they aren't rebuilding your Gallardo or do they work on customer cars, what's your average client transaction or gross per hour, how many hours will it take to rebuild the wrecked G?

Reactions: KWIK

·
Registered
115 Posts
you will end up near or over a used and well maintained G when it's all said and done most likely. 04 G's are cheap nowadays, def not worth it and you have absolutely no resale value. You say you want to keep a car for a long term, but I'm sure we have all said that about a project and we don't keep it as long as we expected.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts