Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father's car was hit the other day, and he needs a new car. He found a cool blue 2004 bmw 325ci with 78k miles on it. We test drove it and it felt fine. When we got back after about 5 minutes, my dad smelt oil...Maybe burning oil, but it kept us skeptical about the car. Its a great price, but we dont know much about bmw's. We asked the dealer and they said the oil valve something was just changed. The car has been sitting for a while, because the brakes were rusted over. Is he pulling our leg? Or is it a common thing. What do you guys think. Heres the link to the add.

2004 BMW 3 series - KG Motors West Chester, OH

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
^ i would

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
It sounds like they were making a reference to a leaky valve cover gasket. It's a fairly simple job to replace the gasket, but there could be bigger issues that are causing it (such as a clogged PCV/check valves). Coming from a dealer, I doubt they have any service records for the car, huh? The one thing I hate about buying used BMW's is that the required maintenance that's included for "free" has oil change intervals that are WAY too long. Often times it makes for engines that are susceptible to sludging. Have an independent inspection on the car if you are really interested and let me know what they say. PM me if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's right. They said they just replaced the oil valve gasket. Is that a reason why it would smell of oil after a 2 minute drive?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
That is not a bad price, $11500 is more in line. If they did just repalce a valve cover gasket, you would smell oil burning off the exhaust. As far as brakes looking rusted over, if any vehicle sits for more than a couple of days without being drivin the rotors will surface rust over. After a couple miles, they would look new again. Just for your safety, have a reputable mechanic look it over before purchase.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scheduled an inspection from the local BMW store for next weekend. Just need to ask the dealership if we can take it in for an inspection. If everything checks out fine, we will probably grab it, mom willing. Lol

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe true, but it will be my fathers, and he doesn't want a rocket. Just a fun sports car. Belive me I would love an m3. Lol

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Assuming he could find a M3 in the same year with comparable miles, it would'nt be a couple grand more. Wholesale on the M3 with 80K is about $17500 which translates to about $20K or better. But I do agree it would be a fun car.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
+1 on the valve cover gasket issue. 1 out of every 3 that we get here needs a new gasket. If you look by the firewall down by the heat shield of the exhaust manifold, usually you'll see an oil leak there, which causes the smoke smell. The only other area that is common is the oil housing gasket, which is a cheap gasket, but very labor intensive.

If you end up buying and that is the issue, there are many DIY's all over the net if you search.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts