Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 61' Lincoln Continental hardtop and I'm having a bit of second thoughts. The car will be used for one my businesses and I'm trying to decided if the hardtop is a good fit or not.

The businesses is an ultra-luxury car service (weddings, corporate, photo and film shoots, ect...) which includes the likes of modern and vintage Rolls Royce's, modern Jaguar XJ-L's, ect. While I'm good in the modern department for now, I'm looking to add another vintage to my fleet, enter the Lincoln.

I personally love the look of the hardtop better than vert with it's roof up, I can't help but to keep thinking about the vert's look with the roof down.

What do you guys think, is the vert a car a client, say a groom on his way to the church, would be driven in or is it more a car that you want to drive yourself?

Please give me your feedback!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
625 Posts
You can't go wrong with any early 60's Continental. However, IMO, a vert would definitely be better for pictures involving the wedding party.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Vert is way more rare and collectible
Hard tops are a dime a dozen
Unless the hard top is a steal, pass and go for the vert. A well sorted vert will run you $35k

I used my black 63 vert to drive to and from my wedding. Was awesome

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Vert for photos hardtop for yourself!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My whole dilemma is that my service provides a driver. I just find that I myself (and others in general) prefer to drive convertibles themselves, whereas, most people like being driven in hardtops by a driver. As for looks, I personally like the hardtop more than the vert.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well gentlemen, I am the proud owner of a new to me 1961 Lincoln Continental hardtop! I decided that for the business, the hardtop would be better. The Lincoln now joins a 2011 Rolls Royce Ghost, a 1964 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III and an incoming Jaguar XJ-L (haven't found the right second hand one just yet).

So the weather stripping on the Lincoln needs replacing and while the paint is pretty good for a driver car, it's not to my standard for a photo car. I'll be getting all that done throughout the winter and ready for the spring.

Couple of questions for you guys. Where do you buy your parts (like weather stripping) for this car??

Also, what should I expect to pay for a nice paint job (inside door panels, hinges throughout, ect...)???

Thanks guys. Will post pics next week when it arrives.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Parts like weatherstripping - lincolnland
Proper paint job - $7 to $10k
Thanks! So when you say proper do you mean stripping it down completely and dipping it or do you mean sanding?

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
SOLD my 63 convertable a while back. All I can tell you is that it was expensive by the end I was 90k in to her. Its a unique and breathtaking car that if you talk to the one's that owned one they are always in a love and hate relationship. In my opinion Convertible is the only way to go but expensive as hell to keep in top shape.

Reactions: pip

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Raw, I've heard about the tops and all the relays that can be a pain in the a$$. Hopefully my hardtop won't be as much a pain and as expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Can't wait to see some photos of your new Continental Nick. My neighbor has (what I believe to be) a cream '63 Convertible he proudly told me he purchased on eBay on a whim one day before taking his young son to school. :lol: I'm sure you will make many wonderful memories behind the wheel, enjoy. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Sketch! I hope you're right!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts