Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

So I'm getting really close to choosing my first watch. I would like to buy it around December as a Christmas gift to myself :laugh:. Anyway, I'm in need of some help cause I'm getting more and more intrigued by timepieces, especially movement! Anyway, here are some watches I'm seriously thinking about from most to least desired, my budget is from $500 - $1000:

Sonbol Left SKELETON: WORMHOLE

Casio EDIFICE EQW-M1100DB

Lum-Tec M33

Lum-Tec M9

Now, here is what I saw today looking on the Macy's website. Some of you will throw up, I'm sure of it. However, the flashy-poorman's-wannabe-baller-in-your-face side of me is intrigued by these:

Bulova Watch, Men's Diamond Accent Two Tone Bracelet 98E003 - Bulova Watches Watch Brand - Jewelry & Watches - Macy's
Bulova Watch, Men's Black Ion Plated Stainless Steel Bracelet 98D001 - Bulova Watches Watch Brand - Jewelry & Watches - Macy's

For some reason I feel like these watches are complete crap. I know they are under Citizen, but they look like they'll break easily. Actually there were comments about the straps breaking. Also, I think they're quartz, are they worth $500+?

Lastly, if any of you have any recommendations for me, I would greatly appreciate it! I'm looking for a nice black watch that has an elegant, but also sporty look. Something I can wear to work, then to dinner and then to a movie.

I love Skeleton watches, but the only reason why I am hesitating on the Sonbol is that there are no pictures of the back side. If the Sonbol has a skeleton back side as well, than I'm going to buy it.

I prefer Automatic to Quartz and I would also prefer Swiss ETA over Miyota, but it isn't that drastic to me at the moment. Anyway, I'm really excited, but also nervous buying my first watch. I hope this will be a great experience that will have me turning into a connoisseur in the near future. Let me know of your recommendations and thanks for checking out my second thread.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Um, sonbol is on here, and they are clearancing out a few of their watches. I will see if i can find that thread. but ill post up a few later tonight

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hamilton Khaki Field collection. this is the impeccable entry level swiss watch which is durable and classy, swiss auto with sapphire crystal and priced around 600 if u look around.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Hamilton Khaki Field collection. this is the impeccable entry level swiss watch which is durable and classy, swiss auto with sapphire crystal and priced around 600 if u look around.

Listen to this guy. I feel like I regurgitate the same information over and over. In my opinion...you simply can't beat a Hamilton for under 1000. The Lumtec's are nice as well. The Sonbol is huge! 53mm's huge! I'm not saying that as a bad thing...just saying. If you want a big watch...check out the Hamilton SeaView...46mm and black...pretty slick watch. Otherwise you could get a used Hamilton X-wind or X-mach.

I'm not a fan at all of Bulova. And diamonds don't belong on a watch...they belong on your wife/GF's finger/ears/neck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm not a fan at all of Bulova. And diamonds don't belong on a watch...they belong on your wife/GF's finger/ears/neck.
hahaha, you're absolutely right. I was looking at the Bulova's again and was like what the heck was I thinking! Anyway, I got a female's opinion yesterday on some of the Sonbol watches, she mentioned the MILITIA being her favorite style. I kind of over looked them when I first saw them, but now looking at them I'm in love with the Grigio Titanio:

I don't think the Skeleton is for me, if I was 5 years younger I may have bought it, but something about the Grigio Titanio is really slick. The only issue is that it is freaking huge (pause), but I don't know if that will be a bad thing. I'm done with thinking about the Casio and Lum-Tec's, after seeing the Hamilton's I think the battle is between the Sonbol and Hamilton.

The Hamilton Jazzmaster Seaview is really nice (~$600.00)...

Though, the sponsor on the forum for Sonbol is such a great guy. He's answered all my questions and is really looking out for me, that may give me the edge to go for the Sonbol. So, what do you gentlemen or ladies think? Sonbol or Hamilton?

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I'd say go with your gut. Which will you be happier with? Not that you should use it as a consideration...but the Hamilton will have a higher resale than the Sonbol should you ever need to sell it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Not to put down Sonbol, but they are freakishly huge watches. Anything over 50mm is WAY too big, imo.

I would go for the Hamilton.

$.02:)
I drew a 54mm circle yesterday on a piece of paper and put it on my wrist, it was huge. I'm worried that I'll look kind of funny with the watch on cause I'm a 5'8 155 lb China Man. Ugh...choosing a watch is hard! I'm going to look for some pictures of people wearing their Sonbols and see if I can pull off the look, if not I may go for a Hamilton or wait for the Prometheus Manta Ray or the 44mm Sonbols to come out. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
If the lugs on the watch will hang over your wrist its going to look too big. If you were looking for a flashy watch to go out on the town with i'd say go with Sonbol. If this is your first and/or only watch...i'd get something a bit more tame.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hamilton or Lum tec all the way!! as divido said though, make sure you go auto
Yea, Auto is in the top priorities for getting a new watch. I'm just not a fan of Lum-Tec. Thanks for the feedback though.

On a side note, I just completed my profile! I feel proud of myself haha.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hamilton is hard to beat for quality in that price range, I have a 1938 Hamilton doctor's watch and it hasn't missed a beat though it's been worn through three wars! My vote would be for the Khaki.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am trying to get hold of a Hamilton H77565533 Conservation mens Swiss watch myself at the moment, just looking out for the right price :).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts