Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I heard they only sold something like 7 Vitesses last year, as its the only new Veyron you can buy now and as the car is nearly 10 years old people are buying P1s/LaFerrari/918s, Pagani's and Koenigseggs. Even Koenigsegg outsold them apparently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't imagine why Bugatti comes up with these
You can't imagine why they would want to appreciate their racing legends?

Any thoughts on why they produce them?
Just because they can. Why wouldn't they want to show appreciation to their history?

Bugatti is bleeding VW dry and taking these as a total loss.
A company that made $28 billion in profit in 2012 alone, couldn't care less if they lose a few millions in Bugatti.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eeti,

I think VW are very concerned. Here is what I read recently.

"A French publication, Sport Auto, reported that Bugatti’s current penchant for special editions is designed in part to use up the brand’s stock of unsold multimillion-dollar vehicles, saying that Bugatti has sold just 300 of 450 Veyrons.
....The Economist reported that the Volkswagen Group (which includes Bugatti) loses upward of $6 million on each Veyron they sell."

You can read the article at: Bugatti Veyron, Lang Lang Style - JeanKnowsCars.com

So the special editions are there to cover the costs of unsold cars and makeup for the loss caused by Bugatti to VW.

The bean counters run the world today.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think VW are very concerned.
I'm not so sure. Let's scale down the money to put things in perspective, using $1mill for the division factor. On this scale, VW made $28,000 in profit in 2012, and they lose $6 for every Veyron they sell. Doesn't seem like much now does it? If you were to factor in all 450 Bugs that would be $2,700, still less than 1/10 of their profit in a year.

If VW didn't think that making them was worth it, they would cut their losses faster than you could blink.

·
Registered
165 Posts
^^^^^^^ and Eeti for taking people to school. I'm guessing VW will make well over a 100 billion in profit over the years of the production run of the Veyron, so the 2.7b loss on the Bugs is not that big a deal considering the advertisement and prestige it brings them.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Number 2 is absolutely stunning...

Reactions: Burberry89

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
There are a lot of clear-cut numbers being thrown around--hardly the case, in reality. Large corporations like VW have countless ways to cut their "losses" via tax filings. I guarantee that the Bugatti branding is riddled with write-off's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone actually buy them?
Update on this one, since a lot of people seem to be "concerned" (and trying to bash Bugatti for it) that they aren't able to sell these cars. Bugatti just announced that they have sold the 400th Veyron to a customer, a new Grand Sport Vitesse Jean-Pierre Wimille edition. That leaves 50 more Veyrons to be produced and sold till the end of production.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts