Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been buying a few articles of clothing recently. One Theory shirt, three Boss shirts, and I'm eyeing another by Zegna. A family friend buys shirts on sale, two for $50, at major department stores so the idea of dropping $150, $200, or $400 on a single shirt sounds preposterous to them.

Is there anything wrong with getting a few nice shirts, particularly when I wear them every day and won't likely get any more until they begin wearing through in five to seven years? I'm not a seasonal buyer (getting new stuff in the spring, summer, fall...). So school me - what's 'reasonable', 'expensive', and 'over the top'?

·
Registered
101 Posts
It all comes down to what you are willing to pay for the clothes and what you are doing while wearing them. A Mechanical Engineer who works in a lab will ruin a few shirts a year while an accountant doesn't have that risk at his desk.

Myself personally I look at clothes as more of a consumable. No clothes last too long with me.

I do have a few nicer dress shirts that rarely get worn other than to outside meetings.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
3,230 Posts
Jeans and nice button ups I understand spending some cash on, not Tshirts though. There's no Tshirt worth $200, IMO, no matter what. Even for button ups, I have a hard time spending more than $60 or $70 because usually I have them tailored anyways. If a Tshirts more than $20, I pass.

***EDIT*** I just noticed you didnt specify Tshirts or dress shirts.

·
Registered
584 Posts
well, it depends on what is your views regarding 'luxuries' itself

no matter its just a Boss or lesser names shirt that you buy, you not just buy a shirt, including a brand (which mean a social status) and sometimes the quality of the products

I used to think what makes a thing priced $xxx when the others $xxx? I think it ridiculous to spend so much on a piece of fabrics, till I try Bijan and I know that there's a clear difference between the special one and the other one, once I try it, I fell in love and buy his cashmere coat even if I expect a cashmere to not last too long. but remember, some brands sells you nothing at high price

its just like you say, "hey I buy a Benz SLK. and people think that I'm over. they buy a Yaris". its not even on comparison

reasonable is very relative term, so with expensive and over the top. what you do in daily basis is what is count to measure. if you only work as a guy who mostly work in the field, and rarely meets socialite, do not bother buy something that exceeds $1000. your friends will not recognize it anyway. find something that fits. its like if you're living in the middle of Borneo jungle, having a GTR looks weird and unnecessary, you better have a SUV (but, I've seen a GTR in the middle of Borneo...)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Didn't you make a thread about this already? Gotta pay to play.
I suppose. And yes, a similar thread asking about brands. These are dress shirts I plan to care for; they won't get torn up or abused, so I don't see a problem getting 5-10 fine shirts I appreciate and feel great wearing. Just a little surprising one shirt costs nearly twice that of two also-great articles.

Maybe as a birthday present.

·
Banned
3,230 Posts
It all depends on budget? Anyone in this thread take basic economics in college?
Thats true. My comments were assuming budget wasnt an issue really. If he's talking about buying $200-$400 shirts, he's already factored that in to a budget.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If you don't see a problem with it and plan to car for it then what does it matter what others think?

Are you trying to get a perspective on how other's spend money or are you trying to get us to understand why you buy $400 shirts?

When I spend over $250 on a shirt, it is custom and hand tailored for me.

I suppose. And yes, a similar thread asking about brands. These are dress shirts I plan to care for; they won't get torn up or abused, so I don't see a problem getting 5-10 fine shirts I appreciate and feel great wearing. Just a little surprising one shirt costs nearly twice that of two also-great articles.

Maybe as a birthday present.

·
Banned
3,230 Posts
If budget were not an issue, then all my shirts would be made from the inner linings of vagina. Budget is always an issue.
This forum produces more quote worthy gold than any Ive ever been on. I just wish I had enough space in my sig to quote them all.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you don't see a problem with it and plan to car for it then what does it matter what others think?

When I spend over $250 on a shirt, it is custom and hand tailored for me.
Because perhaps it's nonsensical to spend this much on a shirt and I just don't know it. I'm soliciting others' insight.

I admittedly don't know where to go for custom shirts. A store called Mark Shale can do custom suits and jackets, but I don't think shirts is something they do. I think I'm set though with the five shirts I bought recently; after this, I'll just need perhaps three white / light blue shirts for wearing under a suit jacket.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Nah I think your good bro so long as your financial situation allows for it. A well dressed man is under rated these days.

Because perhaps it's nonsensical to spend this much on a shirt and I just don't know it. I'm soliciting others' insight.

I admittedly don't know where to go for custom shirts. A store called Mark Shale can do custom suits and jackets, but I don't think shirts is something they do. I think I'm set though with the five shirts I bought recently; after this, I'll just need perhaps three white / light blue shirts for wearing under a suit jacket.

·
Registered
956 Posts
It really depends. I buy what I really like. There are times that I will spend $100 or so on a single shirt, but other times I may only spend $14 or $25 (more on the casual side). I know that i need stuff that can get ruined so buying only high end stuff is not optimal for me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I recently have been getting my shirts custom made. I have an awkward size (16.5, 32/33) and even then it still fits terrible. Blank label and modern tailor both make custom shirts to your specs. Ive gotten 2 already and they fit great are only around $80-$100. Local tailors wanted double that. Other then dress shirts and suits, its all cheap as possible, american rag $10 T shirts at macys FTW.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
It depends on how badly you want the shirt.
I have t-shirts that were over $100 and $5 shirts in my closet. It's rare I pass on a shirt that's sightly interesting and under $20.

Nick

·
Registered
936 Posts
as to your friends buying the cheap 2 for 50 shirts, they do not hold up over the long run, iron like crap, stitching comes undone, the buttons break. collars don't hold up, the colors fade really quickly. don't buy cheap shirts. i learned the hard way. i went through 20 dress shirts before i bought quality and now i hardly have to buy new ones

"only rich men can afford to buy cheap things"

think like this: do it right the first time, less money, less time wasted.

for dress shirt i spend between 80-110 per shirt, anything above that is tailored.

for sweaters, 50-100 depending on the type of material sometimes more but it has to be really special for me to do that.

for tee shirts, i get tons for free from vendors and i do not wear them that much. 20-30 per shirt i try to keep it below 20 if at all possible

for polo's they can get pricey. i spend for regular plain ones from polo raulph lauren 20-50,
designer, nice soccer types, fully stiched and logo'd and heavy duty 60-120 per shirt. they hold up like a tank and look good as hell.

for suits, well i don't buy many so that is way out of wack, 500 min price 1000 max unless it is a really special type

dress shoes i wear a 12,13 4e and pay through the nose for them. 120 min max 250-300 but they last a long, long time, 5-10 years if you use shoe trees and keep them up properly.

ties are really expensive and can range from 30 to 100 per tie. that the max i will pay. ties last forever, so look at it that way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts