Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and didn't find anything but what's the deal with this filter? Does it do anything? I've done some research and it sounds like replacing the intake on my 997.2 wouldn't make much of a difference but some say that this filter gives it a nicer sound and lets it breath a little better for about half the cost of intake systems that don't do anything but let in hot air

any opinions?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I run BMC's in both my M3's as well as the Cayenne. Have also supplied many to friends and customers. In my opinion, it's a no brainer mod, ya just do it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If I could go back in time, I would skip the BMC.. Didn't do anything for the car, and it fouled up my MAF sensor (and no, it wasn't over-oiled or anything)..

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
If I could go back in time, I would skip the BMC.. Didn't do anything for the car, and it fouled up my MAF sensor (and no, it wasn't over-oiled or anything)..
It was likely over oiled or it wouldn't foul the MAF. They are almost always over oiled from the factory. First thing I do after pulling them out of the bag is run warm water through them to remove the excess oil... and quite a bit comes out. Then let it dry and pop 'em in.

I've never seen a car where a BMC replaced the factory filter and didn't make some additional power. Of course you're not going to feel some huge gain on the butt dyno, but every little bit counts if you're like me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have BMC air filters in my Cayenne Turbo and it runs great. Its up to you whatever you decide, but I have a lot more than filters but, everything runs great together <-...

·
Banned
8,211 Posts
I have a BMC in my turbo and it makes a little bit more noise and the car seems to breathe a little better but in my case it fouled my MAF and that was right from the factory. If I could go back I would still do it though since I look to squeeze every bit out of the engine that I can.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
BMC's are higher priced than K&N's most of the time, but if you ask me, they are better quality and have, in several cases, proven to outperform K&N.
One perfect example is the E60 M5 filters. The K&N's don't even use the entire area as see here:
K&N

BMC

Another example is the E46 M3. In this case they look the same as far as surface area, but the BMC when bench flow tested still outperformed the K&N.

·
Registered
690 Posts
K&N is also over oiled all the time. I have installed hundreds of BMC's. I didn't think they had oil. I like them...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Had a BMC in my stock intake, i liked it. If you're worried about extra oil, either rinse and air dry, or wrap it in newspaper overnight to soak in extra oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts