Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that black watches (mainly black cases, not necessarily phantom all the way) are here to stay or are they just a fad?

Personally I really like the look of watches with black cases... but I can't help to think that they might look outdated in a few years?

What is your opinion on this?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Black watches have been around forever but have become "hot" the last few years.

Look at the Porsche Design / IWC watches, Arnold's Seiko from Predator and other military pieces from the 80's and further.

Panerai had their early PVD models too.

My initial impression on black watches was that they look amazing in highres DSLR shots but looked cheap and unimpressive in person.

I hated the deep scratches in PVD that show silver underneath. That is really a big visual peeve for me.

PVD or DLC over brushed s/s has grown on me.

PVD or DLC over polished and shiny black ceramic look terrible IMO

The first black watch I jumped on is the Panerai 292 matte ceramic and I love it with any contrasting strap. No scratches is a big plus for me.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. Panerai boutique called last week saying they have a 335 on hold for me, but I'm not sure I want to put down that kind of money on something that won't last more than a couple years.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I think a big part of it is modern technology has made black watches possible... coating technology has advanced a lot in the last few years... before modern coatings you basically could paint or black oxide plate metal... neither of which hold up for shit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I personally love black watches over anything else. I have like a PVD fetish or something. They just stand out a lot more than others. To me, the silver steel look is too bland and gold to me is somewhat a tricky thing. Gold looks good on certain people, but I'm a yellow Asian man so it looks like camouflage on me :lol: and on other people it looks REALLY tacky. Personally, black style watches are my type of swagger and they are here to stay (at least I hope they are :bitenails:).

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
black will always be around, all white will not.

now white face, i see taking off!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Here to stay

Craig

·
Registered
557 Posts
Black watches have been around forever but have become "hot" the last few years.

Look at the Porsche Design / IWC watches, Arnold's Seiko from Predator and other military pieces from the 80's and further.

Panerai had their early PVD models too.

My initial impression on black watches was that they look amazing in highres DSLR shots but looked cheap and unimpressive in person.

I hated the deep scratches in PVD that show silver underneath. That is really a big visual peeve for me.

PVD or DLC over brushed s/s has grown on me.

PVD or DLC over polished and shiny black ceramic look terrible IMO

The first black watch I jumped on is the Panerai 292 matte ceramic and I love it with any contrasting strap. No scratches is a big plus for me.
Took the words out of my mouth, especially as a new PAM 292 owner.

Sure Black watches are very hot right now, but they have been around for a long time. Will they have the same desire years from now…? Who knows, but it is not a fad that will “die”.

·
Registered
661 Posts

·
10,594 Posts
Dark meat will be here uintil the end of time. The more interesting question would be what new process and materials will be used to replace PVD.

Aside from ceramic's and composite blends the best black watch surface i've encounterd is easily Sinn's tegimented process. The second best, to my surprise, is the pvd on my lum-tec M17. It made the pvd on my much more expensive Bell & Ross pieces seem like cheap finger nail polish.

Many of my collector friends are no longer buying high end pvd watches. They are just to costly to have such a fragile finish. It looks worse than having a scratch on your cxar fender and cost just about the same to repair, $600. I beleive the future trend for higher end pieces to turn to the aforementioned black ceramics and composites.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts