6751.jpg

·
Banned
3,230 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I still stand by what I said. I have worn black and brown successfully. I understand it's a major faux pas, but if you do it right, it'll look just fine.
With a name like yours I will take your word for it! I'll have to play around with it, sometimes its fun to go across the grain.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I can relate to a person's uncanny style and ability to mix and match.. but they must understand what they are personally able to pull off. Black with brown? It can be done. Should it be done? Probably not..

Wear some eccentric socks or add a pocket square if you want to stand out.

I hope stripes with plaids is not the next topic of discussion.. :bitenails:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I wear brown shoes frequently. But the black shoes get hauled out when the black suit is pulled off the hanger in the closet.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Black with brown? It can be done. Should it be done? Probably not..
That's exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you for putting it so much more eloquently! It's all about the ability to pull it off; in this case, it's possible, but not likely.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It can definitely be done. You don't want to go black suit/tie and white shirt/pocket square with brown but when you start to implement other colors in the shirt/tie/pocketsquare/cufflinks/watch/suspenders, whatever...then brown shoes can come into play. It is all about execution and how confident you are with your own pairings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So long as the shoes are the same colour as your belt. You can pull nearly anything off.

The rules change a bit if you are wearing a blazer with different coloured pants. Then you can even have a 3 colour stripe fabric belt with brown leather loafers etc.

This is how I roll LOL!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Well that is a go, who says you can't do it... Its actually a good mix up to your drab black on black... Just make sure the belt and shoes match

·
Registered
4 Posts
It can be done, but do you want to?

I will show you why, with visuals! BOOM!

The are some physics at work that explain why the brown is lighther then the shoes most likely are. Brown is a color that reflects light, and because it is a warm color it reflects more lightwaves and will be observed lighter then the color actually is. Black absorbs lights, nd reflects only if the shoes are shiny. Also the brown in the image is fairly dark, but because the suit is so black it seems lighter.

Why does this matter? One word, perception. Because of the light skin tone of the face, and the lighter value of the shoes the overall shapes becomes smaller. When we as humans see something smaller, we will feel stronger. The question thus becomes, when you meet someone do you want them to feel superior and larger because of how you dress?

Most men will answer no, and thats why you can't mix brown shoes with a black suit :)

So why does it work with blue? Because blue reflects light( and in daylight just as much as the brown shoes would) and forms a harmony with brown. The colors are different, but the suit and shoes have the same value and are seen as one solid shape.

·
Banned
3,230 Posts
^^

Im not clicking that until someone else does. Seems suspicious

21 - 40 of 47 Posts