Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Alright so this seems to be a more popular debate between my friends and me and I was wondering what your thoughts were on this topic. Now the rule of thumb is black shoes with a black suit, ALWAYS. No exceptions. However, I personally really like the look of a black suit with some brown shoes and a matching color belt. I was wondering what all of your opinions are on the subject. I have never done this but I have often thought about it. I would never do it in a work or true "formal" environment, only in a more casual setting maybe some place where I didn't even have to wear a tie to. Just a suit and a white button down. I just want to know how "goofy" this look is and if it can be pulled off and not look goofy. Personally I think the key to making it work (if at all) is a very well tailored, slim fitting suit but I am interested in hearing what all of you have to say.

I've included a couple pictures of where some of my ideas came from and to give you a better idea of what I was describing

Indochino does it, does that make it alright?

The Essential Black Suit | Indochino

Here is where I first really got the idea from, I know his suit is not black but it shows how matching the shoes and belt makes the whole contrasting colors flow better (the second picture shows the shoes and belt matching better):

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-07/63615641.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3ajJZbG6JCg/ToZLk3quNMI/AAAAAAAAA0k/hSqLOXAcd2A/s640/ryangosling2.jpg

Here's Ryan Reynolds wear a suit without a tie (The more casual look that I was talking about)

Redirect Notice

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Absolutely, I only wear black shoes with a black suit at formal settings, all other times its brown double Monk Strap or brown Chelsea Boots

·
Registered
942 Posts
People say black and brown never go together, but I disagree. It's kind of like a girl with really short hair; it's going against the norm, but if you can pull it off, you look gooooood.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
absolutely, a nice dark drown loafer compliments a black suit well in some cases

·
Banned
3,230 Posts
Absolutely not. A black suit NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER looks good with brown shoes. If you want that dark look go with a dark blue suit with brown belt, brown shoes, and a complimentary shirt. Never black with brown.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't have an opinion on a brown shoes with a black suit, simply because I am not a fan of a plain black suit. Dark grey suit bordering on black maybe, pin stripe sure but solid black, not for me.

One thing I do hate, is a navy suit with black shoes and belt. Not a good look. You look like a bruise, don't do it

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
Big fan of black suits but on the brown shoes I got to say 100% NO.

Reactions: Grandpa Scott

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
I dont think its a matter of being different, they just dont go. If you want to be different do Blue suede, Green suede, Gray but not brown,

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Black and brown...absolutely not.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Big fan of black suits but on the brown shoes I got to say 100% NO.
Absolutely not. A black suit NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER looks good with brown shoes. If you want that dark look go with a dark blue suit with brown belt, brown shoes, and a complimentary shirt. Never black with brown.
These. Absolutely not.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Taking back my statement...I was looking at blue suits + brown shoes; big difference

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Any other color + brown is nice.
Black and brown doesnt really work for me.

Might.....JUST might work if you are tall and slender and pimpin a Kiton suit with a handmade pair of shoes.
Dont try it if you are short, fat and have a broke ass suit on.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
No brown shoes with a black suit. I have a hard time buying things that are black and brown in the same garment, but I'm slowly getting past that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A week ago i would have said never ever. But after watching this video i changed my mind. That light brown shoe that he wore just look like it worked.

BTW: Aarons videos are FANTASTIC. I definitely recommend subscribing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wearing a black shirt with brown shoes is acceptable, as long as your belt is brown also. Wearing brown shoes with a black suit? NO, NO, NO. Matt Lauer wears that combo nearly every day, and it looks terrible. If you have enough money for a nice suit, you should have enough for shoes to properly match.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts