Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the durability of black DLC/PVD coatings? The custom rollies on sites such as blackoutconcept.com and timesandgems.com makes me want to pick one up. However, I'm worried that the black coating will easily scratch!

10,596 Posts
It won't scratch easily but it will scratch. I won't spend a lot on a pvd watch because of that. Tegimented that Sinn uses is the best I've ever had. Aside from that you just have to go with something like Ceramic.

· Registered
264 Posts
Like Sal said, it's not easy to scratch but it will scratch. DLC is supposed to be a stronger form of PVD. Ceramics are nice because they won't scratch like a DLC/PVD but the problem with them is if you hit them hard enough they'll just break.. kind of like breaking a ceramic plate or cup.

Blackout Concepts and Times and Gems are overpriced, I suggest buying a rough shape Submariner (or whatever Rolex you want to PVD) and send it Jack at IWW or Avitt (I think his name is Tony... Avitt is his forum call sign. You can find him by googleing Avitt DLC and reading a few forum threads). Both these gents are at the top of the PVD aftermarket game and both come highly recommended by multiple forums. Jack at IWW is a little more expensive but his work is top notch.. equal to Avitt though, Avitt may be a bit hard to get a hold of.

My $0.02.

Reactions: evohuntina4

· Registered
264 Posts
Jack is one of the best! He's done all my DLC work!
I've seen Jack's work and it's amazing. The whole process is something like $500-700 (or more depending on what you want done) but considering a Sub 14060 can be had for the low $4K's, OP can get a practically new looking DLC'd Rolex for well under $5K. In fact if OP looks hard enough and finds one in rough/beat up shape (DLC will cover up the beating), the cost would be even lower.

7,022 Posts
Having Jack (or any AM guy) coat a case is entirely different than doing the bracelet, and not just in terms of cost. Our good friend Riley did several pieces including a Milgaus, and they were a disaster. The bracelet gets put thru too much dinging to hold up.

· Registered
264 Posts
Having Jack (or any AM guy) coat a case is entirely different than doing the bracelet, and not just in terms of cost. Our good friend Riley did several pieces including a Milgaus, and they were a disaster. The bracelet gets put thru too much dinging to hold up.
This is true. Op could go for the Pro Hunter look and mount a DLC Sub to a Nato strap or leather Nato.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.