Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up another car and have pretty much summed up that it'll be a Benz. I want something that is easy to tune. Both cars are in my price range, but not sure which I should get. The only thing keeping me away from a 6.3 is how much room there is play with it. I like the thought of exhaust, pulley, and tune on a 55. The car will be my weekend toy more than a DD. Is there really that big of a difference in power, reliability, or such?

Any help here would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'd go with the 55, but that is a biased opinion.

I've heard they are faster than the 6.2l engines. I have yet to race a 63.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
i'm assuming E class is the car in question.
i'd probably opt for the 55, its already supercharged so you can play around with boost from the S/C.
i dont know about reliabiltiy and such but i'm sure there are a few guys on here that have these cars.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If you're referring to the new 5.5L biturbo's, I'd take that over the 6.3's because I feel like they will be able to make more power than the 6.3's.

If you're referring to the s/c 55, then I'd go with that over the 63 because it can produce big power for less than the 63 IIRC

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The general consensus was 63 Stock and 55 if you wanted to mod it! But seeing that now there's a supercharger for the 63 available, its all about preferences!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The general consensus was 63 Stock and 55 if you wanted to mod it! But seeing that now there's a supercharger for the 63 available, its all about preferences!
It was little things like this I was unaware of. :)

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
77 Posts
5.5 Turbo you get more mechanical noise not that raw N/A engine but more HP

6.2 you dont get as much power but the sounds is amazing. The backfire and crackle noise from the 6.2 is orgasmic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you're looking to mod it, then the 5.4 is probably the better (and cheaper) choice. Nothing compares to the 6.2's amazing sound in stock form, though. Great engine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
5.5 Turbo you get more mechanical noise not that raw N/A engine but more HP

6.2 you dont get as much power but the sounds is amazing. The backfire and crackle noise from the 6.2 is orgasmic.
agreed.

55 if your thinking about tuning it..easily gains lots of power with less $

63 is a beast though and honestly its fast enough

·
Registered
816 Posts
have had many cars with both engines, and definitely never thought the 63 was a good "upgrade" to the 55. The 55 is a hard engine to beat. Tough, smooth, TORQUEY, and easily modified. The 63 strains a little more, while yes it is a powerhouse, it is somewhat limited in comparison to the 55.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
55 all day. I've had two E55's and I don't see myself buying another AMG until the complete line up of TT V8's have hit the streets. the 6.2L engine in the 63 never really appealed to me (except for in the CLK Black Series and SLS, of course).

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
This is definitely a tough question. I believe the 55 is the better motor, but my concern is that the 55's are getting quite old now and may be a little less reliable as the mileage will be much higher on those vehicles. I would probably end up going with a 63 due to the fact that you can still get one with warranty and much less mileage. However, if you can wait, I would go for the 5.5 TT engine cars when they drop in price.

·
BORN 2 WIN™
1,962 Posts
Duh...6.3...displacement is king...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts