Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Any Envy I've seen loses in nearly every category to the ASUS G73.

Got a link?
ASUS are ok, but their service sucks. If all you're comparing is raw performance you're basically asking for it. ASUS is trying to build a brand in the US, they over clock their review units, they are inconsistent.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
ASUS are ok, but their service sucks. If all you're comparing is raw performance you're basically asking for it. ASUS is trying to build a brand in the US, they over clock their review units, they are inconsistent.
I'm not even talking about reviews! On pure specs it destroys the Envy for value/performance

I've heard mixed reviews on the Envys. I've experience HP 'quality' and customer service. I feel like no one has good service anymore, beside Apple. But then you pay for it too.

Anyone know of any other good shops that build custom laptops besides Sager?

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
you all pay so much for laptop..... :eek:hwell: I pay $400 usd for 500GB HD and 6 Gig ram with option for 8 Gig. Built in webcam, 16 inch screen, ect..... :)
For $340 CAN I got a similar laptop. ;) They're dime a dozen. It's great for work.

But it simply isn't in the same galaxy as the computers I'm looking at. Video editing crushes my current laptop. Having Photoshop + anything else open? On its knees.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Spec schmeck. Specs are almost meaningless these days. Good enough computing is here. Envy>ASUS all day any day.
Ah! You caught me mid-edit in my post.

While I tend to agree, the video rendering and gaming side of me is torn. How would you rate the build quality? I'm not crazy about the looks. I did love the feel of my Macbook Pro.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I would try to dig up some details on asus build quality, as I know I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on it. If you are concerned about customer service and warranties. look into dell, they actually do cover accidental damage with their complete care plan. Throw it out the window in frustration, get a new laptop.

And to anyone who says you will be speaking to a non native english speaker with dell, needs to realize it is like that with almost all tech companies.

You can get complete care on alienware as well. And there is an option to turn off all the lights if you want too.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ya I've just read quite a bit on Anandtech and a number of other sites... HP Envy's aren't gonna' cut it for me.

Looking into Clevo's now, they look pretty top notch, performance wise.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I'm interested to hear other people's suggestions as well. I'm in the same boat but planning on getting a labtop in mid August that's mainly going to be used for school. Was leaning towards the 15 inch macbook pro but 1700+ is a bit steep for me at the moment. I've looked into Asus and they've got some good products but I'm not trying to send in the laptop away for repair if I need it for school and I don't want to deal with the viruses pc's have but then again I need windows to run a few programs that won't run on a mac...might just get a mac and install windows on it but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Yeah if all you want are specs, get a Clevo. It's a huge heaping pile of shit though, but it's fast on a straight.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Im sorry but im a die hard Mac guy so i could only suggest that....but if someone puts a gun to my head and says buy something else, then i'd probably go for a Vaio.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah if all you want are specs, get a Clevo. It's a huge heaping pile of shit though, but it's fast on a straight.
LOL, duly noted. Any specific reasoning?

Still browsing... Starting to debate as to whether or not I should just get a newer, hyper portable laptop like the ASUS UX21 or a Macbook Air and just build another badass desktop.

I was looking at the newer ASUS G73 update, the G74SX-A1. Less 'stealth fighterish' but retains the matte black, rubberized look which I love.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Im sorry but im a die hard Mac guy so i could only suggest that....but if someone puts a gun to my head and says buy something else, then i'd probably go for a Vaio.
Nothing wrong with a Mac. I had a MBP i5 and it served me well. Just looking for way more power on the $.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
For $340 CAN I got a similar laptop. ;) They're dime a dozen. It's great for work.

But it simply isn't in the same galaxy as the computers I'm looking at. Video editing crushes my current laptop. Having Photoshop + anything else open? On its knees.
Mine is HP. I have video edit software on mine with no problem but all files are saved to external hard drive

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm not even talking about reviews! On pure specs it destroys the Envy for value/performance

I've heard mixed reviews on the Envys. I've experience HP 'quality' and customer service. I feel like no one has good service anymore, beside Apple. But then you pay for it too.

Anyone know of any other good shops that build custom laptops besides Sager?
Falcon Northwest

iBuypower

Malibal

etc...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Mac. I had a MBP i5 and it served me well. Just looking for way more power on the $.
Agree, while I have/had many Apple MBP, MBA's and other apple-related products, its just not cost effective. But, I've learned that for some reason, Apple still comes out on top. It just works and works really well... While you can have the best performing laptop with 11000 giggawats of power if the operating system isn't working correctly with the hardware, then your laptop is useless..

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
What about a Dell XPS17? You get the standard look on almost alienware performance?

I am in the same position as you right now, have to buy a laptop for school but still want it to be able to my games of SC2/WoW/CoD on the go.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the XPS16, maxed out on all hardware. I had two issues:

1. The included power adaptor was insufficient for powering the laptop and the computer slow.

2. EXTREME heating issues.

It's been awhile (4 or 5 months) since I returned it and I'm sure that Dell has addressed these issues but I wouldn't go back.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I know i am not the op, but since i did contrivute to this thread and was asking myself the same question, I decided to let you know what I bought. I wnt with an MSI GT683R... Ishould be receiving it by friday! Can't wait to see 180+ fps on games I can't even play on my 3000$ 2 years old tower

21 - 40 of 44 Posts