Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Thinking about picking up a badass new laptop in the next month or two.

Previously I was a major desktop guy because I'd build my own computers, but since then I've loved just plugging my laptop into a desktop workstation and 28" monitor at my desk.

I know this thread will be littered with Macbook Pro suggestions, which is fine, but I'd love to hear some other interesting options. I've owned a i5 Macbook Pro and it was great, but they are just so damn pricey for the hardware. Love the feel and design, but not sure I can justify the price.

Really looking for a desktop replacement grade laptop. I game, render/video edit, use photoshop/illustrator, leave about 50 windows open in a browser at a time, etc. I'd say I'm in the moderate to upper end, needs wise.

I've found a number of options arount $1200 - 1500 cheaper than the best Macbook Pro with far superior hardware. So I am leaning towards PC's but I don't mind shelling out for a top of the line Macbook Pro either.

Let me hear what you guys are using, or would buy if money weren't really a factor.

Minimum Specifications:
Hardware:
• 15" or bigger
• High resolution screen
• CPU: i7, i5 if really good value (2nd generation chips)
• GPU: >= 1gb
• 500gb HD
• 8gb RAM
• HDMI

Bonus Ports:
• eSata
• USB 3.0

Bonus points:
• Long battery life
• Appearance (prefer less flashy)
• Portability (lightness/thinness)

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far the Asus G73 is looking to be a front runner.

17.3-inch 1080p (1920x1080) display with LED backlighting
8GB DDR3 RAM
500GB Hard Drive @ 7200 RPM
Intel Core i7 2630QM - 2.0GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M - 1.5GB DDR5 VRAM

Price: $1400 (CAN)

No eSata or USB 3.0... Which kinda' sucks. But not a huge deal. Also kinda' wish is was around 1 TB. That being said I have backup drives and could get a dedicated portable hard drive for this. Or get a media center and offload a lot of movies.

Thing is beastly. I like the flat black and the cooling (I hate running things hot, like my workhorse laptop I'm on right now). But portability takes a major hit @ 17" of screen + 8 lbs of weight. Battery life wouldn't touch a Macbook Pro.

But strong contender.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking into some of the custom computer places out there.

Currently checking out Sager.

Any others I should be looking at? Damn these prices can creep up fast! :D

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Make sure whatever you get has the second generation I-series intel cor processor. Most will have them new, but it's good to just check.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a Macbook Pro and I love it. The only problem is a lot of programs I have aren't capatible without downloading a different program so it can convert them

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure whatever you get has the second generation I-series intel cor processor. Most will have them new, but it's good to just check.
Agreed. I've been watching for this.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Sony Vaios are rock solid. I have mine for 3 years now and cosmetically its pretty much beaten up but still runs like brand new. I'll keep using it until it burns in flames then get a Macbook air : )

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Sager's are nice. I have an m17x from alienware that was the tippy top of the line 2 years ago. It has held up alright, it is a bit of a beast to carry around though. Business class Toshibas aren't too bad as well, and there are alot of nice lenovo's out there. As you stated though prices tend to grow alot as you spec it out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A505. I bought it 1.5 years ago for 800 and its still good as new. It was relatively top of the line then, and it is still pretty close. I would suggest a new Toshiba because i've got nothing bad to say about it.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Edited my first post to include minimum specs.

I'm not looking for a last generation laptop. Want something spiffy, looking to see what others have or would pick if they were shopping today.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sager's are nice. I have an m17x from alienware that was the tippy top of the line 2 years ago. It has held up alright, it is a bit of a beast to carry around though. Business class Toshibas aren't too bad as well, and there are alot of nice lenovo's out there. As you stated though prices tend to grow alot as you spec it out.
I had looked at some Alienwares awhile back, they're a bit flashy/gamerish for me.

I want the performance, without the bling.

Gonna' see what HP has in terms of Envys. I've heard mixed reviews.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I had looked at some Alienwares awhile back, they're a bit flashy/gamerish for me.

I want the performance, without the bling.
I totally understand, it is a little embarrassing to take to meetings, but then again so is making thats what she said jokes.

It sounds like you should look into Sager and Lenovo. We have worked with HP's customer support on some stuff and it is iffy at best.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I totally understand, it is a little embarrassing to take to meetings, but then again so is making thats what she said jokes.

It sounds like you should look into Sager and Lenovo. We have worked with HP's customer support on some stuff and it is iffy at best.
A friend of mine had a Sager, it crapped out in the first 2 weeks. Bought a HP DV series and never looked back. Though HP's CS is weak, I would still grab an Envy, just because price wise, its probably the best bang for buck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't go laptop. I was in the EXACT position as you are now. I'm editing videos, handling photos, play games etc. NO LAPTOP EVER can replace your desktop computer in terms of performance. I have a Sony Vaio i7 740QM (Qudra Core), 8Gb 1333Mhz ram, 500Gb HDD, 16" monitor (awesome colors btw), and it still can't handle my AVCHD files fluently. Tried for 6 monts, last week I couldn't bear the lagging when editing videos so I bought the best desktop parts money can buy (almost), the best thing I've done. I'm never going back to laptops, only for lighter stuff like SC2 on medium Quality or for delivering photos on the go to the customers. But for heavy work - I will never buy a laptop again to try replace my desktop.

I saw in a post that the Asus G73 was recomended, that's what you need if you want a lot of power. A big ass laptop which isn't carriable but more like dragable ;)

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw in a post that the Asus G73 was recomended, that's what you need if you want a lot of power. A big ass laptop which isn't carriable but more like dragable ;)
I hear you man.

Right now the G73 is winning in my books. Going to look at the Envys, l've been meaning to. I have a 28" monitor (I might get a second) that I use with my laptop workstation which helps for editing. (1900x1200 FTMFW!)

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
you all pay so much for laptop..... :eek:hwell: I pay $400 usd for 500GB HD and 6 Gig ram with option for 8 Gig. Built in webcam, 16 inch screen, ect..... :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts