Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Wondering what would be a great entry level SLR for a fairly enthusiastic hobbyist. So far, i like the

Nikon 7100
Canon D70
Nikon 5300.

Main focus would be a good auto mode, Decent FPS from the SLR, as well as 1080p @ 30 or 60fps video. The wifi and GPS are neat details, however i'm not too sure i need all of that. I do like the Touch screen of the D70, but not really sure if thats a necessity either..

If you have any hints, tips, comments or ideas, i'd love to hear them! Should i skip some little details like touch screen and wifi? or just jump right in with both feet?

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I would go with the D7000 or D7100.

I just recently sold my D7000 to pick up a D610 (full frame) I was in no way unhappy with the D7000- it was fantastic and I have no complaints, but I stupidly just want to get a full frame. I will likely see almost zero benefit in 99% of conditions. The D7000's image quality is just as good and you can't beat it for the price. It also has enough features/options where you won't grow out of it as well.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a look at some of the reviews tonight! thanks for the heads up Lindwall. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I haven't tried the 7 series from nikon but I did use the 5300 for a couple of weeks and really enjoyed it (got it as a back up but still got a few thousand clicks with it) I actually used the wifi features with it quite a bit, using my phone as a live view remote and also reviewing pictures that I'd just taken

·
Registered
365 Posts
What about a T2I?
I bought it and was pretty happy with that also.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
What about a T2I?
I bought it and was pretty happy with that also.
D7000 blows away the T4i, or any TXi camera for that matter. I know they're not in the same price range, but I've owned an entry level cameras ( D3100), and quickly grew out of it. That's why I suggested the D7000 as you can use it for a long time without growing out of it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why not a mirrorless like the NEX 6 or 7? Entry level, does what a DSLR does, much smaller, got a few apps and WiFi and those fancy stuff, good quality images. What more?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did want the burst feature for action shots, and i really wanted the high quality video for snowmobiling- i went with the Canon over the Nikon due to the auto focusing and overall edge on video... can't wait to put together some footage! Thanks for the replies everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts