Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as some of you may know, i'm a mechanical engineering student, and obviously i love cars. i know a decent amount about them, but its hard to learn some details and in depth things without having one to use.
So my question to you guys is, which car do you think is best to learn from. A car that i can tinker with, take apart, fix, modify etc. This car wont be my 1st nor 2nd mode of transportation so i dont car about any kid of economy or reliability etc.
Keep in mind i do live in Croatia, so any old american cars (mustang, i wish) wont be possible to get here. I'd like to spend less than 1000 euros simply because i'd rather spend money of new parts and stuff.
Some cars i've been looking into are, old ass jettas, old ass civics, E30s, golfs.
I'd love to hear your guys' suggestions :bow1:

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
honda! anything honda.

why? its super cheap, there is more info on modding a honda then any other car. also, there are so many possibilities. whether it be motor swaps, forced induction, using different motor parts on one motor....

·
Registered
692 Posts
Lexus LF-A or anything honda will work! :laugh:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Get an old golf, Europe is over flowing with them. Then proceed to make a build out of it and keep us posted

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Buy my Mustang! (I feel bad for you :( )
It has a lot of room, easy to take apart and I want to get it sold!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
a lada.

seriously: a vw or a seat, maybe a skoda.....buy whatever sells the most in your country...so that there is a demand for your work...

or you could buy an old xj6....and be able to work on any car in no time....no car breaks more than that car.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
a lada.

seriously: a vw or a seat, maybe a skoda.....buy whatever sells the most in your country...so that there is a demand for your work...

or you could buy an old xj6....and be able to work on any car in no time....no car breaks more than that car.
Haha +1 on the old jag. :lol:

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Haha +1 on the old jag. :lol:
door handles used to cost 500 bucks a pop...and the little spring broke in the constantly....you had to buy the whole doorhandle.

we went through 3 grand worth of doorhandles....not to mention changing the fuelpump that was in the tank...and the tank was parallel to the backseat...that was just the small stuff.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Old RX7, the rotary engine is very different, and there are a ton of mods out there plus custom fab work to learn.

I might be partial though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know this is not going to be a popular comment but from one Engineer to another forget about messing with cars right now and focus on school - think of it as your job. After you are done school there will be lots of time for motor sports. I'm not saying this to me hurt full or to crush your dreams but I know just how much time and money this hobby/obsession can suck out of your day to day schedule. As far as the understanding aspect of your education try hooking up with one of the Engineering teams at your University like Formula SAE, SAE Supermilage (the was the one I did and it got me into working with carbon fibre), or Formula Baja. These club allow you to practise what you've learned while honing your team work and scheduling skills. All in all a great addition to your formal schooling and it will look good on your resume.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know this is not going to be a popular comment but from one Engineer to another forget about messing with cars right now and focus on school - think of it as your job. After you are done school there will be lots of time for motor sports. I'm not saying this to me hurt full or to crush your dreams but I know just how much time and money this hobby/obsession can suck out of your day to day schedule. As far as the understanding aspect of your education try hooking up with one of the Engineering teams at your University like Formula SAE, SAE Supermilage (the was the one I did and it got me into working with carbon fibre), or Formula Baja. These club allow you to practise what you've learned while honing your team work and scheduling skills. All in all a great addition to your formal schooling and it will look good on your resume.

Best of luck.
that's a good point. It would be a sort of weekend/spare time thing, but i agree, i should be focusing on school. as difficult as that is. We do have a formula team here, but currently they're not looking for any more members, hopefully next year when some people graduate ill join, especially since i'll be focusing even more on Automotive engineering.

if you dont mind me asking, what kind of Engineer are you, and what was the hardest class you had to take?

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
yea skip the jags.....i would do either an old bug (OG style)...or a benz....like an old diesel....get something with direct injection ( lots to learn and very cool to play with)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know it's hard not to want to get into cars when you are effectively talking about them all day. Think of it this way; if you invest the extra cash you have now for it by the time you are out of school you'll have a nice down payment on a sweet ride.

As for me I'm a Mechanical Engineer with a Specialization in Manufacturing and additional course work in composites like carbon fibre and Kevlar. Worst class? Fluids! the funny part is that I currently do work in Oil and Gas and it's all fluids :)

Here's the secret to Engineering school: the first 2 year suck as it's all foundational information/courses. After that is starts getting really interesting with cool courses and labs. Plus, the people that made it through the first 2 years of hell are just like you and they become friends for life!

Chips up and just keep working away at it. You'll get there!

Geoff

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah this semester is kind of ridiculous. I plan on finishing all my classes except for thermo, and finish that class next semester. (the university system is completely different here, dont even ask haha).
was it hard to find a job after school? how much work experience is necessary to get a job after college would you say?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Man I loved thermo class! Oh course I think it had a lot to do with the fact that the Prof used the 2.2L K-Car engine as the backbone of the course (apparently he was apart of the engine development team).

The year I graduated was a lean year for jobs so We ended up moving across the country to a small town in the north (take a look at the map of Canada and you'll see the magnitude of this). It was a very hard year but I got some great experience and respect for doing it rather then just waiting for the cushy office job in the big city. A year later We I got asked to join a firm in Calgary. In the end experience certainly helps but what is more important is a can-do attitude. People want to be around positive personalities, mix that with a 'what ever it take' mentality and it's a winning combination.

One little tip; being positive and gun-oh about what you are doing is WAY easier if you are doing something you truly love. For instance the carbon fibre business I’m trying to launch is very hard (I’m a perfectionist when it comes to this) given that I’m still running my normal engineering business during the day, but I absolutely love it! There is a lot of frustration, it cuts into any down time I could have, and I lose sleep but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Best of luck!
Geoff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts