Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since chicken has become a very large part of my diet, Ive been trying out all the different methods for cooking. I'd love to be able to grill most of it but I can't ever get it to come out right..Its always either overdone or underdone and tough on the outside..

Last night I tried the method of boiling it for 20 minutes then grilling it and had very good results, but I want to be able to get it down to an art.. Id prefer just to grill it but I can't get restaurant quality results!

What am I doing wrong??

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
WTF? Boiling then Grilling???
You can boil it by itself but no reason to do both. I personally HATE boiled chicken unless it's in chicken soup.

Heat grill on high till 500 ish.
Turn Grill down to Medium.

Cover chicken in oil and seasoning.
Grill a few minutes on each side.

You could also "butterfly" the Chicken Breast by slicing down the middle to make it thin.
It will cook even faster and will be easier to tell if it's done.

OR

You can pan fry. Heat pan till your chosen fat (butter, oil...) is nearly smoking.
Add chicken breast. Saute till cooked.

OR

Do the same as above but just saute till outside is crispy then place in oven that is preheated to 350. Purchase a meat thermometer.

Place thermometer in chicken and cook till it reaches 165.
You can also use a thermometer if bbq to check.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Baking the chicken first then transferring to the grill to finish it off works excellent too.

I'm sans a BBQ at the moment, but what I do is mix up whatever marinade/sauce throw it in with the chicken in a cast iron skillet (great for baking chicken, provides even heat) for about 20-30 mins @ 350....For transferring to the grill I would do about 25 minutes at 350, then do a couple minutes on each side with the grill on high.

Made this the other night and I think it would be epic to finish off on the grill....

Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I didn't use the parsley or basil listed and the time given was a little long (I baked for 30 mins total)

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Baking the chicken first then transferring to the grill to finish it off works excellent too.

I'm sans a BBQ at the moment, but what I do is mix up whatever marinade/sauce throw it in with the chicken in a cast iron skillet (great for baking chicken, provides even heat) for about 20-30 mins @ 350....For transferring to the grill I would do about 25 minutes at 350, then do a couple minutes on each side with the grill on high.

Made this the other night and I think it would be epic to finish off on the grill....

Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I didn't use the parsley or basil listed and the time given was a little long (I baked for 30 mins total)

You grill or pan fry first. There is a reason for this.
This locks in the juices so it's not dry.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Get yourself a digital instant read thermometer. Cook it until the center of the thickest part is exactly 160 °F. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes for the juices to redistribute.

I haven't had an improperly cooked piece of meat since I bought one. I'm currently using a remote one, but I will soon upgrade to the Thermapen by Thermoworks.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
when i grille ill do med-medium high (high heat if im trying to blacken it) alway comes out juicy.

lately ive been doing it on the stove with olive oil on med/high heat, and damn it is sooo juicy and good. my favorite recipe is this

Blackened Chicken Recipe - Allrecipes.com

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
my girl friend does something in a bag in the oven that is really good, but i dont know...

i sit on the couch til i am told to eat...

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Get yourself a digital instant read thermometer. Cook it until the center of the thickest part is exactly 160 °F. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes for the juices to redistribute.

I haven't had an improperly cooked piece of meat since I bought one. I'm currently using a remote one, but I will soon upgrade to the Thermapen by Thermoworks.
Meh, no need for the fancy stuff.

Just get a 2 dollar thermometer. Touch the center of the breast each time and you will eventually know what a properly cooked chicken (fish, beef..anything) feels like.

***No touching breast jokes please. Thx.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Meh, no need for the fancy stuff.

Just get a 2 dollar thermometer. Touch the center of the breast each time and you will eventually know what a properly cooked chicken (fish, beef..anything) feels like.

***No touching breast jokes please. Thx.
firm breasts means its good to go, really squishy breast are jus tno good. ;) in regards to poultry of course :D

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great ideas guys.. I use a thermometer now. I think im leaving it on high heat a little too long. I think Ill try the idea of finishing it off in the oven tonight and see how that goes.. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Great ideas guys.. I use a thermometer now. I think im leaving it on high heat a little too long. I think Ill try the idea of finishing it off in the oven tonight and see how that goes.. Thanks!
In restaurants they tend to cook to 165 then serve. As noted above you can pull out earlier as it will continue took a few degrees.

As soon as the thickest part of the breast is of temp, pull out, let sit a min or two, eat.

Btw...I don't eat chicken so don't listen to me. Ha.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
beer can chicken... always nice and moist when its done
I have had GREAT luck with beer can chicken on the grill.. But its a biatch to prepare and harder to cut up afterwards!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Butterfly the chicken, add S&P, squeeze a whole lemon all around (make sure you leave it out to room temp.). set the oven to 425 degrees. place in the oven and roast for no more than 1 hour make sure you have the breast facing down and turn after 30 min. so as to have a nice crisp skin:clap:

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Butterfly the chicken, add S&P, squeeze a whole lemon all around (make sure you leave it out to room temp.). set the oven to 425 degrees. place in the oven and roast for no more than 1 hour make sure you have the breast facing down and turn after 30 min. so as to have a nice crisp skin:clap:
If that's a chicken breast butterflied it will be as dry as wood if you cook for 1 hour @ 425.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Oh really....? I thought that method didn't work? At least thats what I was told in sex ed.... :lol:

...in my defense you did say no "breast" jokes :D
Lol^
Fair enough.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts