Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On this rental of mine I'm running speakers and volume control to each and every room. Now that I'm just about done with the speaker wires, I'm planning on running cat 5 cable for the computers in each bedroom/kitchen and HDMI cables from the TV's in each room to where the sources will ultimately be around. I was also planning on running some coaxial cable just for the heck of it since its cheap. Am I forgetting any other wiring that should be run as well behind the walls?

·
Registered
508 Posts
An additional cat5 run along the hdmi wouldn't be a bad choice. (Since you can transmit via cat5 extenders if the hdmi ever fails)

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An additional cat5 run along the hdmi wouldn't be a bad choice. (Since you can transmit via cat5 extenders if the hdmi ever fails)
I guess that's why TV's have cat5 connectors behind them now. What the heck might as well.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Are you using generic cabling, or did you pay a premium for higher end materials? I remember reading a while ago about how over short distances, with HDMI at least, using something like Monster Cable doesn't actually yield any benefits, but over longer distances signal degradation can be lower and premium cabling provides improved durability.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you using generic cabling, or did you pay a premium for higher end materials? I remember reading a while ago about how over short distances, with HDMI at least, using something like Monster Cable doesn't actually yield any benefits, but over longer distances signal degradation can be lower and premium cabling provides improved durability.
I bought mostly everything at Lowe's but I made sure it the speaker and HDMI cable were shielded and rated for behind wall use. As far as video quality degradation, its a 2 bedroom house not more than probably 1600 sqft so it probably won't really be an issue. Besides its a rental and I think it'll be good enough. I'll test it before I put the insulation up. I did not buy monster cable, not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I usually get all my cabling from monoprice.com
Also, if you can, see if you can run a small pvc conduit and run the cables thru it. This way, in the future, if any cables crap out or if you wish to add some it'll save you a lot of time fishing them thru

·
Registered
661 Posts
I usually get all my cabling from monoprice.com
Also, if you can, see if you can run a small pvc conduit and run the cables thru it. This way, in the future, if any cables crap out or if you wish to add some it'll save you a lot of time fishing them thru
I agree with monoprice.com. Got most of the wire for my theater from them. However, I kinda disagree about the conduit. I ran conduit and ran the existing wire alongside it, so I can always run additional cables if needed.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Run lots of CAT6. It can be used for pretty much anything in the future.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yah the conduit thing is going to be a real pain in the butt because of the extra work plus the pulls are so far it will be hard to feed depending on the size of the conduit and if there are connectors on the wire your trying to run (HDMI). It's easier just to pull it and lay it right over the joists. I saw cat 6 but its like more than double the price than cat5 so I just stuck with that, plus HDMI and coaxial. I figure if the HDMI dies they will just have to use the coaxial, than if that dies they will have to use the cat5 lol. I see it as just saving myself future trouble. But if you were going to use conduit it would have to be real big like 2 inch.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Things to consider:

1) Flat screen tv placement so putting deep receps behind tvs is always a clean install.
2) I always run HDMI, Coaxial, romex, CAT5/6, and/or stereo wires/optical lines if needed everywhere a media center could be installed.
3) Rather than running just wires through a hole in the wall, I make all the connections to a plate mounted on the wall. More costly and time consuming but looks so much better.

Reactions: LuxeDRIVE

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yah the conduit thing is going to be a real pain in the butt because of the extra work plus the pulls are so far it will be hard to feed depending on the size of the conduit and if there are connectors on the wire your trying to run (HDMI). It's easier just to pull it and lay it right over the joists. I saw cat 6 but its like more than double the price than cat5 so I just stuck with that, plus HDMI and coaxial. I figure if the HDMI dies they will just have to use the coaxial, than if that dies they will have to use the cat5 lol. I see it as just saving myself future trouble. But if you were going to use conduit it would have to be real big like 2 inch.
I ran 2" to my PJ location (the only HMDI run), and 1" everywhere else. It's already saved me once. Although for a rental unit I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Things to consider:

1) Flat screen tv placement so putting deep receps behind tvs is always a clean install.
2) I always run HDMI, Coaxial, romex, CAT5/6, and/or stereo wires/optical lines if needed everywhere a media center could be installed.
3) Rather than running just wires through a hole in the wall, I make all the connections to a plate mounted on the wall. More costly and time consuming but looks so much better.
Yah I've seen those recessed mounts where it has pretty much every connection you could imagine, power, speaker jacks, HDMI and cat5 connection and they are nice. I just put remodel boxes and assumed with flush mount I'd just buy a swing away tv mount. This tv mount will go over a bathtub and I'm ok with a few inches of space between the tv and wall because it needs to tilt down towards the bathtub to be viewed ideally when someone is laying in the tub.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Run lots of CAT6. It can be used for pretty much anything in the future.
This.

Cat6 has a better data transfer rate than Cat5 and can run further distances. I'd run an extra Cat6 to every room, over and above the extra Cat6, and leave it spooled in the attack. You never know.

I have a pretty elaborate Control4 system at home and have a ton of extra Cat6 run throughout that I may never use but again, you never know...

Reactions: Neil Mc Cauley

·
Registered
479 Posts
in reality we wont be using hdmi in a few more years it will just be cat5e/cat6

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In my future projects, I'm going to run cat 6 EVERYWHERE.

Reactions: Justin D

·
Registered
661 Posts
I wired my house with CAT 5 everywhere and haven't had any issues.

We just had our new office space wired and the guy also recommended CAT 5 instead of 6 due to our usage and the fittings for 6 are much more expensive.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have my personal loft to remodel soon so I need to start buying everything I need. I guess I could go cat 5. A lot cheaper but I wanted to go baller status and go cat 6 so I can impress the ladies "How you doing? don't get too impressed but I got cat 6 all up in my pad"

Reactions: Parker
1 - 20 of 20 Posts