Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this random orbital buffer in the link below for $16 from Harbor Freight, ripped off the pad and placed a round self adhesive Velcro disc on. Then bought the Mcguiars buffing and polishing pads to place on and off the buffer. Damn thing works excellent. I just couldn't see paying out the butt for a buffer. Plus this being hand held is very easy to operate. Maybe there are other good bang for the buck out there, but this worked great for me.

6" Compact Palm Polisher

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used it to polish my black Pantera and the wife's MBZ 300D, and worked real well on those. However I keep the cars pretty immaculate already, not like I had to press real hard on the paint surface. But I did hit it pretty solid all day and it did excellent.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
why does everyone want to go so budget!

the Griots is just 50-100 more and WELL worth the performance upgrade

Its like going from a sealant to a coating...sure the sealant will protect, but the coating will outperform, outlast, and will be far more durable in the long run!

·
Registered
2 Posts
why does everyone want to go so budget!

the Griots is just 50-100 more and WELL worth the performance upgrade

Its like going from a sealant to a coating...sure the sealant will protect, but the coating will outperform, outlast, and will be far more durable in the long run!
Agreed, Griots is definitely my go to machine and what I always recommend to those who will only be detailing their own vehicles.

Now having said that I must say though that if someone is looking in the bargain bin for a DA then that HF DA isn't all that bad

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you want bang for buck and want to stick to harbor freight check this out:

6 in. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher

Just make sure to purchase some good pads and a decent compound polish combo and you will have a decent arsenal for the amount of money you put in.
Bingo! This one is great and just as powerful as the Griots. I have used the HF one on customers cars and it works great. I use it for 4" work and it never fails. I prefer it of the GG as its a bit quieter and less vibration after you change the grease on it. If you dont want to splurge on a Rupes or similar the HF one is impossible to beat. Grab a 5" backing plate, a mix bag of pads and have at it. I have owned, used and tested most of these and the HF DA is indeed a quality product.

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I too agree with the porter cable, DA polisher, only way you can mess up your paint is by banging your buffer against your vehicle like a hammer, it's very forgiving and can find deals with pads, and compounds, polishes, and waxes online.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
guys, the Griots is the same price as the PCXP and has more power and less vibrations and is quieter. I use both on a daily basis...I would know!

the harbor freight is an almost direct comparison to the PCXP, still not as strong as the GG.

Its your money though...

As a best bang for buck, how can you go wrong with a lifetime warranty....10 years later and the machine dies, you send it in and get a new one...
Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher 6" 3rd Generation - 10' cord | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

Then just get the 5" plate here, and then the appropriate pads and polishes...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I should have left a link too, I am happy with this one, this is all what got me started with the car detailing craze Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer Porter Cable 7424XP & Pad Kit FREE BONUS

In the end I believe it's what makes you happy, makes you comfortable and also what is your budget , I watched a lot of Youtube videos on how to do videos to be sure I knew what I was doing and also what I was getting into.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Started out with the Porter Cable, great machine. Still have it and use it. Now I got a Flex 3401, love it. Can never have enough power. Same results as the Porter a Cable but in half the passes.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The Flex is a great machine. But after reading and watching some video reviews, it's likely too 'dangerous' in the hands of a newbie. I'm saying that more for myself because I'm looking to get into machine work and cannot fathom winding up to do corrective work on my MBZ just to burn it. Great machine, in experienced hands.

Thanks Eric for recommending the GG orbital. Looks like a solid option as well.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
the flex isnt as good as the griots IMO....its the same 8mm throw with less speed. Still a sub par machine IMO.

it goes Rupes, then griots, then the rest.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Help me understand why the harbor freight buffer in my original post isn't that great. Is it the power rating or speed rating? I like all the various buffers discussed here, but can't tell the difference. It seemed to do a good job on my wife's cream color MBZ in my link were I did a door. Car appeared perfectly clean, but with some buffing it made it lighter and seemed to work ok: WIKD Cars & Such's photosets on Flickr

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
It's just not a professional machine. It not being a professional machine doesn't mean you can't get great results from it, but for someone who does detailing more seriously as a hobby or as a profession, they'll look to more durable, consistent, powerful machine which accepts standard sized pads.

·
Registered
848 Posts
the flex isnt as good as the griots IMO....its the same 8mm throw with less speed. Still a sub par machine IMO.

it goes Rupes, then griots, then the rest.
Seriously? Sub par to the griots? :lol:
I love my Flex d/a and rotary. While I agree the Rupes is better than the Flex d/a, it's also a different type of machine. But I definitely feel the Flex d/a is superior to the GG d/a.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts