Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a rough weekend for airshows, and aviation in general. A 737 went down in Alaska, I lost a friend in Bryan Jensen at the Kansas City Airshow, and the Red Arrows lost a pilot as well. Today Todd Green fell to his death during a wing walking performance at the Selfridge Airshow. Blue Skies to all. :(

·
Registered
447 Posts
sorry to hear about your friend. At one point or another, all of us in aviation lose someone we care about. It sucks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry to hear about your friend. At one point or another, all of us in aviation lose someone we care about. It sucks.
Yeah, it wasn't the first, and won't be the last. This year has been a lot worse than usual though. I just hope we make it through Reno without losing anyone.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sorry to hear about that... It's an inherent risk in the trade and we all know it, but it doesn't make it any easier to cope with when someone passes. RIP.

·
Gold Sponsor
3,967 Posts
Sad news. They passed doing what they loved.

·
Registered
335 Posts
its a fact that we all in the aviation industry deal with (and honestly i think the danger aspect might have something to do with the draw to it) But you are right it really doesn't help when someone you know is taken, I had 4 go in the span of 6 months and that was rough but we make it through it and will be a stronger better pilot in the long run.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a fact that we all in the aviation industry deal with (and honestly i think the danger aspect might have something to do with the draw to it) But you are right it really doesn't help when someone you know is taken, I had 4 go in the span of 6 months and that was rough but we make it through it and will be a stronger better pilot in the long run.
Agreed. What are your thoughts on the surface level waivers for the acro guys? It seems to be getting a little out of hand to me. Some of the guys are pushing maneuvers so low that if you are in the first two rows of the crowd, you can't see them. Skip Stewart's insane knife edge passes come to mind. I don't like a lot of regulations, but I am starting to think a 100' minimum would be better. Most of the crowd wouldn't know the difference, and it gives a little better margin.

·
Gold Sponsor
3,967 Posts
Agreed. What are your thoughts on the surface level waivers for the acro guys? It seems to be getting a little out of hand to me. Some of the guys are pushing maneuvers so low that if you are in the first two rows of the crowd, you can't see them. Skip Stewart's insane knife edge passes come to mind. I don't like a lot of regulations, but I am starting to think a 100' minimum would be better. Most of the crowd wouldn't know the difference, and it gives a little better margin.
Honestly, I think it will take a few more serious accidents to get the conversation started, but I agree completely with a minimum altitude for airshows. I wonder if some of the riskier maneuvers would even be possible without assistance from ground effects.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It is part of avaition and has been since the beginning. That doesn't reduce the loss of life every time it happens. No matter the cause.

After all these years I have stopped counting. I think I shopped after my father died 8 years ago. IIRC at that time I could count 30 off the top of my head. And I tried then as I do now to learn something from every incident or accident.

It is our responsiblilty as pilots to learn from the mistakes of other and apply what we have learned in order to minimize the some occurance happening again.

My condolances to you and the family and friends of those lost.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly, I think it will take a few more serious accidents to get the conversation started, but I agree completely with a minimum altitude for airshows. I wonder if some of the riskier maneuvers would even be possible without assistance from ground effects.
I read an article a year or so back where Sean Tucker said he used ground effect to aid in some things, but that he could do the same show without using it. In some European countries they have a minimum altitude of 50' if I remember correctly. Sean said the hardest part was re-learning the maneuvers to fly there because the US pilots use different reference points.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts