Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of this material? This is what one of the few installers near me is using. Has a lifetime warranty.
Also what is better for a beginner, computer cut or custom install?
I had a local custom cut my e90 m3 and I thought he did a good job but the coverage wasn't there and the 3m material was starting to yellow on my white car. My car was garage kept 99% of the time and only had 12000 miles on the 3m.

Now I have a gt-r. Getting GT-R tinted and see pamphlets for avery dennison. Ask the owner about it and he says they have only done about a dozen cars so far but they came out good. He cuts the pieces on his plotter and looks like the coverage is pretty good. My main fear would be razor cuts.

Keep in mind, I live in New Orleans and their is no place like Premier around here. There is one guy that does it full time and that is the first guy I wrote bout.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Avery has to be 3M's main competitor and they do make excellent products. Yellowing of films rarely have anything to do with the film if they are a brand like 3M or the other giants. PPF is not meant to be waxed or polished with traditional paint products. You have to use cleaners and polished specifically formulated for PPF or plastic cleaners and polishes that can be used on PPF's. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
So you had a custom install and it wasn't covering your whole panel? That doesn't sound right. The whole reason for custom wrap is so that you get full hood, fender and bumper coverage without lines. The shop you went to before must have only the smaller roll.

Venture and 3m are the best. I wouldn't try any other brand. Yellowing is unheard of. I wonder what happened to your previous install. Maybe the installer gave you some expired cheap wrap. Definitely shop around.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you had a custom install and it wasn't covering your whole panel? That doesn't sound right. The whole reason for custom wrap is so that you get full hood, fender and bumper coverage without lines. The shop you went to before must have only the smaller roll.

Venture and 3m are the best. I wouldn't try any other brand. Yellowing is unheard of. I wonder what happened to your previous install. Maybe the installer gave you some expired cheap wrap. Definitely shop around.
That is my point, there is no shopping around in New Orleans. There is only one guy who does this full time. The guy I had do my car. Only the vertical surfaces on my m3 bumper were covered. The flatter, more horizontal areas were not covered. I only paid $600 but it was not like I could pay more and get better coverage. There are a few window tinters around that do it but they don't do many cars at all.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Avery has to be 3M's main competitor and they do make excellent products. Yellowing of films rarely have anything to do with the film if they are a brand like 3M or the other giants. PPF is not meant to be waxed or polished with traditional paint products. You have to use cleaners and polished specifically formulated for PPF or plastic cleaners and polishes that can be used on PPF's. Hope this helps
Thanks for the feedback. I never cleaned or polished it with anything other than carwash soap. The yellowing was very minor. My main thing is I am looking for a good install and good coverage. I may make a weekend trip to Houston or ATL for a good install. The last thing I want is razor cuts all in my paint.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Try X-Pert Tint
11231 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77031
281-575-0371

They are likely one of the more experienced installers in Houston. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
any chance you know one in austin TX......??

i have a friend that wants his vette done..

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Anyone heard of this material? This is what one of the few installers near me is using. Has a lifetime warranty.
Also what is better for a beginner, computer cut or custom install?
I had a local custom cut my e90 m3 and I thought he did a good job but the coverage wasn't there and the 3m material was starting to yellow on my white car. My car was garage kept 99% of the time and only had 12000 miles on the 3m.

Now I have a gt-r. Getting GT-R tinted and see pamphlets for avery dennison. Ask the owner about it and he says they have only done about a dozen cars so far but they came out good. He cuts the pieces on his plotter and looks like the coverage is pretty good. My main fear would be razor cuts.

Keep in mind, I live in New Orleans and their is no place like Premier around here. There is one guy that does it full time and that is the first guy I wrote bout.

Just be sure to inquire all installers on how long they have been doing it on a full time basis. There is a fairly high turn over rate w/ the paint protection film industry and in the past few years, companies add it to their existing businesses, but have very little installation experience. This all comes down to experience and it is directly linked to time in this particular industry. As for window tinters, it is a very different application / skill set. Most importantly take a look at the work in person as that would be the best way to judge whether or not the installation standards are on part with yours. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just be sure to inquire all installers on how long they have been doing it on a full time basis. There is a fairly high turn over rate w/ the paint protection film industry and in the past few years, companies add it to their existing businesses, but have very little installation experience. This all comes down to experience and it is directly linked to time in this particular industry. As for window tinters, it is a very different application / skill set. Most importantly take a look at the work in person as that would be the best way to judge whether or not the installation standards are on part with yours. Good luck!
Thanks, I truly appreciate the work you guys do. I once tried to wrap
a lower lip spoiler on my 335 with some pieces from a venture shied kit and it wqs very diificult material to work with. My dad has been in the sign business for over 30'years and he was really challenged by the material. Our install was good enough for a lower lip, but would never pass on a 90k car.
overm

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Paint protection film is a very different application from vinyl application as you have already experienced. However, for smaller and simpler pieces it does make for a nice weekend project for the DIYers. Hope you find a good installer for your vehicle!

Thanks, I truly appreciate the work you guys do. I once tried to wrap
a lower lip spoiler on my 335 with some pieces from a venture shied kit and it wqs very diificult material to work with. My dad has been in the sign business for over 30'years and he was really challenged by the material. Our install was good enough for a lower lip, but would never pass on a 90k car.
overm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts