Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Audi C6 Owners...advice needed

I'm looking to purchase another daily driver in the next week or two. I'm seriously considering the C6 platform A6.

Is this a smart move or not? What should I look out for, or should I avoid this like the plague? I'm still researching, so any advice would be perfect.

Thx

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any current or past C6 owners, what was your experience? Something to consider or walk away from it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't have a c6 but instead an a4, quattro is amazing, car has never broken down. Goodluck and hopefully some members will respond

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I haven't heard any bad things about the last gen A6. The value is certainly there on the used market and it is a nice daily....esp with the winters we've been having in DC. Which motor are you thinking about? There are some great indy shops here in MD/DC that work on them for a reasonable rate. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't heard any bad things about the last gen A6. The value is certainly there on the used market and it is a nice daily....esp with the winters we've been having in DC. Which motor are you thinking about? There are some great indy shops here in MD/DC that work on them for a reasonable rate. Good luck.
I'll PM you here soon, bro.

·
Registered
28 Posts
By an E60 BMW, much better car...
So you're saying that if he parks the A6 next to an E60 BMW, the A6 will be a better car?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm driving an A4, but my dad has that A6. He always respects the service intervals and has no problems whatsoever after 120 000 km... (only thing is he still can't use the GPS, but then again he's probably the only person in the country without a cell phone as well...)

·
Registered
180 Posts
The AWD system automatically makes the car better than most of the competition. I have an A4 which is pretty similar to the a6 and once I get rid of it, im moving onto the c6. As long as is maintained properly, they will run forever

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm driving an A4, but my dad has that A6. He always respects the service intervals and has no problems whatsoever after 120 000 km... (only thing is he still can't use the GPS, but then again he's probably the only person in the country without a cell phone as well...)
I've talked to a few current and previous owners and this is one of the few times I'm hearing this. After more research, I can't find anything to corroborate this either.

I don't know...but that's why I'm asking the forum. I'm taking it all into consideration, but I just don't want to get into another money pit.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've talked to a few current and previous owners and this is one of the few times I'm hearing this. After more research, I can't find anything to corroborate this either.

I don't know...but that's why I'm asking the forum. I'm taking it all into consideration, but I just don't want to get into another money pit.
I should mention my dad is of the "cruising" type, even more now that he's retired. He didn't have any costs to the car besides normal maintenance at the Audi dealer.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have to agree with the Audi_Jim about maintenance. If you do everything according to schedule, it should last quite a while. I drive a B5 platform car (albeit a VW) and have had it since new for 11 years and 125k miles. I haven't given it up since it still looks brand spanking new, hasn't caused me any issues, and is cheap to run. Besides, I still love the thing. I'm religious about my scheduled maintenance and haven't had anything major go wrong. I even have the 1.8T motor which many people say is "unreliable" and "prone to sludge," but I take care of my cars and haven't run into any hint of breakdown. I think people who are used to Toyotas and Hondas that upgrade to an Audi and still think they can treat it the same (no synthetic oil, regular gas, long oil change intervals, skipping some maintenance items, etc) are the ones that claim they are unreliable.

Also, (as someone here has mentioned) an e60 BMW is more engaging to drive, but as a DD I think it wouldn't be the better bet. I've driven my old 135i in the snow and it's the pits.

Feel free to hit me up for any advice. I'm a pretty active member in both the Audi/VW and BMW communities.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to agree with the Audi_Jim about maintenance. If you do everything according to schedule, it should last quite a while. I drive a B5 platform car (albeit a VW) and have had it since new for 11 years and 125k miles. I haven't given it up since it still looks brand spanking new, hasn't caused me any issues, and is cheap to run. Besides, I still love the thing. I'm religious about my scheduled maintenance and haven't had anything major go wrong. I even have the 1.8T motor which many people say is "unreliable" and "prone to sludge," but I take care of my cars and haven't run into any hint of breakdown. I think people who are used to Toyotas and Hondas that upgrade to an Audi and still think they can treat it the same (no synthetic oil, regular gas, long oil change intervals, skipping some maintenance items, etc) are the ones that claim they are unreliable.

Also, (as someone here has mentioned) an e60 BMW is more engaging to drive, but as a DD I think it wouldn't be the better bet. I've driven my old 135i in the snow and it's the pits.

Feel free to hit me up for any advice. I'm a pretty active member in both the Audi/VW and BMW communities.
Don't get me wrong. I understand completely what you're saying. It's just what you're saying is way out of the norm. You both make damn good points about taking care of the car though. Considering I'll be buying used, I have to be a little more cautious as well.

Should I get one, first place I'm headed is to the dealer for a full once over. Just to see what's wrong, if anything. Then I can stay on top of things.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
You cannot beat quattro, best handling out there. My dad has a C6, and loves it. Granted we race Audis, repair Audis, Build Audis, and Sell Audis, I'd give the car my 100% best backing. Compared in class to other cars, I'd take it any day

Things to watch out for-

Brakes pad squeaking- Audi has said that unless you reguarly oil and grease certain points on your brakes they will squeak, not really anything big but an insider tip.

Depending on where you plan on driving it, the wide comfort tires will make winter driving a little bit less exact. Put winter tires on it though, and you can go anywhere.

This car is not a play car, it doesnt allow you to have much fun or playing around. The TCS in the snow is on, switch it off to try and do a donut or drift, and it will click on, and slam you back into line and not allow you to do it. Problem. possibly depending on your style.

Any more Qs PM we can answer anything you need

·
Registered
942 Posts
Put winter tires on it though, and you can go anywhere.

This car is not a play car, it doesnt allow you to have much fun or playing around. The TCS in the snow is on, switch it off to try and do a donut or drift, and it will click on, and slam you back into line and not allow you to do it.
All of that. And what everyone else has said about following the maintenance schedule. I like what fookie said. Also, you should search A6-specific forums to find out if there are any particular bugs/problems/recalls/etc. associated with the car.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Buy my B7 S4(37k, extended warranty, 6spd) :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts