Luxury4Play.com banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
All this jelly and no toast. They are building all this, and no one is coming/asking for it. Dubai is in for a serious economic disaster.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I thought the same thing until....

I watched a doc on TV the other night about how the sheik and princes are really building up and out while the oil is flowing. They know the music stops in < 10 years and they want the country to have 'tourism' as a fall back economy when the black gold goes buh-bye.

I LOVE that enclosed river thingy through the sharks! It would scare the crap pout of me, but I'd go through it enough to get brave... :)

Not a bad idea considering the neighborhood its in...

L
In their minds, sure, but in reality, Dubai will never have real tourism. No middle eastern Sheik run country will EVER have the kind of tourism needed to sustain a nation, let alone a nation like that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dubai is so overbuilt already.. I'd love to see the vacancy rates on all these hotels. It was a complete ghost town in many parts when I came through....albeit near summer. Cranes, construction, and workers everywhere...but no people
The occupancy rates are actually pretty good. Can't remember the numbers of the top of my head ( can find out tomorrow if you like ) but i think they are around the 70% mark. Obviously they have their highs and lows like any destination ( Ramadan been one of the worst i think ). The Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi is a ghost town though. Worlds most expensive hotel, and nobody stays there.

Dubai isn't even close to been overbuilt ( One company has over $250 million USD worth of labor camps still to be built ), its actually a bit of a joke how much more they have planned ( let alone Abu Dhabi which is 4x wealthier than Dubai, and are probably 4 years behind Dubai in terms of construction, although Abu Dhabi is actually concentrating on infrastructure first, rather than the shit fight Dubai has found itself in ) and lets not go into Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar etc etc...

I agree with NFRs2000NYC somewhat. I don't see what the attraction is, its hotter than hell and after the initial curiosity has worn off, there is stuff all to do. Although by 2010 ( i think ) they want to have 60 "attractions" built and open ( ski parks etc ). And at the end of the day, it is still a Muslim country/ society where a lot of "freedoms" that westerners have in every day lives don't exist ( especially in a holiday destination ).

My old man had dinner at Nobu a few weeks ago out at the Atlantis Hotel. Incredible was his word i think ( for both the hotel and the dinner )

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
Give it a couple of months, the price will drop quickly from $1,500 per night to $150 or maybe $50 per night...

With no one going there and costs that insane they will need to lower costs to attract people.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I heard its hot and humid and sucky. Yet I wouldn't care... Car Heaven.... :D :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Give it a couple of months, the price will drop quickly from $1,500 per night to $150 or maybe $50 per night...

With no one going there and costs that insane they will need to lower costs to attract people.
No Chance...

A Sleezy Hotel in Tijuana Mexico is more than a 50 Spot...

Boomer...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've been to the Atlantis in Paradise Island but this one looks much bigger.

Holly sh!t that is awesome.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I need to make it out there. All the projects and pix posted are just amazing. This hotel looks off the hook!

·
Registered
28 Posts
crazy-ness
im always at the one on Paradise Island and i love it ... but this one looks insane
perhaps when things are finally complete out over ( when the city is completely built up and shit ) there ill have to take a trip

41 - 60 of 87 Posts