Luxury4Play.com banner

At what point do you refuel (assuming steady fuel prices)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing quite a bit more driving lately; and have been crawling through stop and go traffic some of the time.

I usually fuel up just right below the half way mark because I'm one of those "just-in-case" type of people if gas isn't expensive at that time, and if there's a zombie apocalypse but I have a full tank of gas on hand.

I used to wait until reserves were down to 25% but before touching the E. I haven't ever run out of gas yet in my years of driving.

So at what point on the gas gauge do you decide its a good time to fuel up, assuming gas prices are steady?

Are you the cautious type? Or do you like the thrill of running on gas fumes with the low gas light down on its last legs pleading you to pull over ASAP for some dino-juice to make life more interesting?

:whistle:

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
If its around town i'll wait till the last quarter then refill. I try to do it in the evening causing durning the day its a pain to get a diesel pump, they normally only have one and it shares with the unleaded plus the tank is on the right it annoys the hell out of me. I don't mess around and wait till the tank is almost dry, never ran out of gas and hope not to.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
One time I ran out of gas right as I pulled into the gas station. I coasted right to the pump I kid you not. I did this in an old crappy ford fyi.
I fill up when I feel like it honestly. No set mark.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Oh boy I fill mine when I have 00000 miles left, hate when I have to fill up....

·
Registered
620 Posts
Somewhere between 50-25%

·
Registered
913 Posts
Red light. There's usually ~5L left (had 50, 60 & 80L tanks).

Only ever ran out of fuel once, and that was after I parked - went inside to get something and then wouldn't start again to go to petrol station, must of been running on fumes...

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Usually around a quarter tank when i know where the gas stations are. Right now though I'm driving through the US (Minnesota, ND, SD, Wyoming and Montana) so I've been filling up more frequently because I have idea where the stations are :lol:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I always fill up at 25%, sometimes less. No point of filling up if theres more than that

·
Premium Member
21,656 Posts
During the winter I fill up right when I go past the halfway mark. The extra weight makes a noticeable difference with traction, but our cold weather gas also does give me significantly less miles per tank. I have no clue what additives are put in during winter, I just know the mixture is modified.

During the summer I run it down to the fuel light warning. When the lit goes on I usually have 2-3 more days of driving to and from work before I'll run out of gas, but I fill it up anyway.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What. I didn't know STIs were that "fuel efficient" with 2 days of work commute with the fuel warning light. The 2.5i I use to run around now is even more thirsty than the Bimmer; but only needs regular.

·
Premium Member
21,656 Posts
What. I didn't know STIs were that "fuel efficient" with 2 days of work commute with the fuel warning light. The 2.5i I use to run around now is even more thirsty than the Bimmer; but only needs regular.
I frequently average up to 28mpg on the highway. If I "hot dog" it I definitely don't get that kind of mileage. I also only have about a 15 mile round trip to and from work every day. Don't forget, after you hit E in an STI, you still have about 3 more gallons of gas left.

I only fill up every 3 or more weeks typically. I average less than 7k miles a year.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I fill up when there is 25% left. I usually let the gauge go around almost E, but am now breaking that habit.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
When i was doing a ton of driving i would wait until it neared empty and the light went on, but recently my driving has been cut way back. These days i fill up whenever, though usually between 25 and 50 percent left.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Around quarter tank, gives me enough time incase an emergency happens and I have to be somewhere, but also enough to not stress about it.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I never put gas in unless its on the light. for bikes I never have more than 100-120mil TOTAL range so if its less than 40miles on the odo for a ride I put gas in. Deff dont need to run out of gas when you need to rip it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts