Luxury4Play.com banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Gold Sponsor
1,281 Posts
Congrats on the buy.

I had my whole office converted to apple in 2006 including our servers. We have 5 desktops and 4 MacBook pros for the field. I had only called them once for service and it was covered under apple care.

FYI. GET APPLE CARE.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just as an FYI the new MBA come with two different SSD. I read an article on it today and will dig up the link it was on macrumors.com. Essentially you either have a Toshibia (denotes by TS) or a Samsung (denoted with an SM). The samsung has been tested against the Toshiba and is significantly faster. You can check by going to your system preferences.

I think it is kinda crappy that apple did this. I actually ended up with the toshiba so will be returning my MBA and buying a new one hoping for the samsung.

With the 14 day return policy you can buy and return as many times as you want (there probably is a limit where the store would tell you the sale is final, but they would have to tell you that before the purchase). I will buy and return until I get the samsung. I do not want to be stuck with a marginally slower machine when I just bought it and know there is a better performing model at the same price.

To say the least I am disgruntled

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
It's was probably financially motivated. I do find it funny as Apple and Samsung are in a heated patent war. It would make sense to dump Samsung and use the Toshiba. Are you sure the Samsungs are on the newer models?

·
Registered
740 Posts
It's was probably financially motivated. I do find it funny as Apple and Samsung are in a heated patent war. It would make sense to dump Samsung and use the Toshiba. Are you sure the Samsungs are on the newer models?
Yeah I am 100% positive they are. A buddy bought one the same day I did and he has Samsung. We did a few tests and his is definitely faster...

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Re read my post I'm sure it's faster but I was asking if the Samsungs are being installed on the newer ones. Would seem they aren't as their patent war is in full swing.

·
Banned
3,200 Posts
i bought a MBP 15 6 months ago. it now shuts down daily due to overheating.

am i angry?

- chuck
I hope you've taken it into the genius bar to be inspected and repaired by now, unless this is due to an accident of your own. That is one of my favorite parts of Apple, the customer service. I'm a very customer service oriented person, and plan on it to be the cornerstone of any future endeavors of my own. Apple will take care of a customer, at any cost if it's still under warranty. I was sold when I bought the first iphone. I got several free replacements if it wasnt operating correctly. They even swapped it out once because I dropped it to many times and it 'looked bad'. :bow1:

·
Registered
740 Posts
So I went and returned my MBA today I bought last week. They didn't hassle me at all.

But while I was there I figured I would check out the specs on the demo models they have out on the floor...EVERY SINGLE ONE has a samsung SSD. The probability of that is slim and it is rather obvious they knew of the performance variance and chose to ignore it yet exploit the faster version as a sales tool.

I find it rather sleazy

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Congrats on the buy.

I had my whole office converted to apple in 2006 including our servers. We have 5 desktops and 4 MacBook pros for the field. I had only called them once for service and it was covered under apple care.

FYI. GET APPLE CARE.
Apple servers...hmmmm....pm me if you have upgraded to lion yet. I don't know if you do you're own tech support or not but I would like to know how it is going.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Apple servers...hmmmm....pm me if you have upgraded to lion yet. I don't know if you do you're own tech support or not but I would like to know how it is going.
With anything new, especially something as large as a operating system, it's never recommended for businesses to upgrade until the next update is released.

·
Registered
920 Posts
my macbook pro has been awesome for the last three years.. Never going back to windows
Have had mine for the same about of time. Took it to my computer guy for some help setting up my new email account and do install lion for me and he said that i'd have it for another 10 years :bow1:

Built to last

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have a now 3 year old mbp. it was around 1800$ but it has never failed on me and meets every need I have. I run windows7 inside of OSX Snow Leopard without any problems, leave it running for days without it bogging down, and run tons of applications at once without any chaos.

I definitely recommend getting one, its worth the extra penny and takes a day to get used to. good luck with your choice though

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Have had mine for the same about of time. Took it to my computer guy for some help setting up my new email account and do install lion for me and he said that i'd have it for another 10 years :bow1:

Built to last

No one should have the same computer for 10 years. Mac or PC. Personal opinion.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I'm on my third Mac laptop in 10 years. These machines are awesome. Right now we have a 6mo old MBP 13" and it is great.

Buy the AppleCare with the machine. Not only are you covered, you get better customer service when there is a problem (think swap out instead of wait for repair).

Edit: My machine at work is a new Samsung Laptop i5. It is obviously MBP esq. but battery life is for sh!t and it has some other buggy problems. Build quality, fit and finish is nowhere near Apple standards. And this was by no means a cheap machine. I work for Samsung and we get their so-called "good stuff"

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I think you're missing the point... and anyway, my grandparents still use the same computer they bought in 97. Yes, a Mac.

I'm not missing the point. Even if it is still working in 10 years it isn't going to be nearly as functional as it's new counterpart. OS10 didn't even drop until 2001, and even most apple people don't want to acknowledge the existence of OS9. It may just be that I am a bit of a computer geek and need to have the best hardware all of the time though.

I'm on my third Mac laptop in 10 years. These machines are awesome. Right now we have a 6mo old MBP 13" and it is great.
Buy the AppleCare with the machine. Not only are you covered, you get better customer service when there is a problem (think swap out instead of wait for repair).
Unless it is dropped or something is spilled on it. I know there is only like one company that covers it, but when I worked IT at my College, those are some of the most common issues. Obviously not as prevalent with more responsible owners.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts