Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
what are these laptops you speak of?
i have yet to encounter them. even my Vaio, which is a higher-tier pc doesn't even compare to my dads macbook air in terms of build quality.
I have to agree with forfend on this one, the majority of people compare their shitty dell inspiron with a 1600 dollar macbook pro, obviously there will be build quality differences. I have said it like 5 times in this thread and I'll reiterate, lenovo previously ibm makes a rock solid system. To name another, alienware and sager fairly consistently put out good products.

Saying that the most powerful pc cannot compare is not anywhere near true. My work PC (granted running linux) has a hex core i7 dual ssd's in raid and 8 gigs of ram the two 460 graphics cards are a little outdated, but it was all easily under 2 grand. A comparable mac pro from the same vendor was a lot more money.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
I need laptops for Game Art, modelling and stuff, so they're pretty powerful! And I'm not comparing Apples to Bananas. I said that the same spec PC is relatively cheaper than a Mac. Anyways, even the most powerful and expensive PC's almost cannot compare to Apple. It is known that Apple is a Hardware company and not a software one. (At least until lately)

C'mon you sound worse than your first post. Apple is not a hardware company never have never will. They design sketches and get 3rd party companies to mfg their parts. Their O/S is their bread and butter, talking specs alone that is the only difference. Now if Apple still ran on ARM architecture like they used to that would be a different story. The reality as to why OS X runs amazing is it's based on Unix (The defacto symbol for stability) and processing functions.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
HP Envy for one

I will give apple a round of applause for their trackpad though, unfortunately they have the same internal guts as any laptop except packaged in an aluminum shell.
i haven't used an envy, i have heard they are good. but every HP i've ever encountered has been the biggest piece of shit i've ever used. cheap plastic casing, awful screen, terrible keyboard, etc.

yeah but the internal guts are the least of what you pay for in a computer, and are not important, it's the interaction between the hardware and software (OS) is what apple does better than anyone else because of obvious reasons.

waaaiit, how is apple not a hardware company? what the hell are sony, dell, HP etc besides hardware companies?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I love my MBP <3 I've had it almost a year and I let everyone in my house use it (I also have an iMac, iPad, iTouch, etc) and it hasn't given me a single problem. Get it!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I've never heard anyone being unsatisfied with a Mac Book. I've only owned PCs (all desktops) and am a liittle tired with their subpar performance. I'm hoping to avoid that with this purchase.

EDIT
I made this comment before realizing there were two more pages to this thread. I enjoy the spirited debate over this but I still think the majority rules when it comes to the MBP. I haven't heard enough negatives to sway me yet but I still have to check out some of the others mentioned.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've been looking into buying a laptop for some time now and everyone recommends the Mac Book Pro. Are there any pros/cons I should know before buying? I'm not computer savy other than basic operating procedures. I'm planning on going back to school and will be using it for that. Are there any recommendations where to purchase other than a Best Buy or Apple store?
I've had my Macbook for almost 6 years now with no problem. I'd recommend Amazon or Apple.com for their student discounts.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I just bought a MacBook air today and love it so far. I was able to
Finagle the student discount (only $50 off but also get $100 gift card)

So far I have set up a virtual machine to run windows, I have set up splashtop to run MacBook air from my iPad (easiest way to get around the no flash thing) and installed a bunch of other things.

I got the 1.8 ghz processor and the 4g ram as well as the larger 256GB SSD. It is pretty quick and the good news is that the SSD is modular so I can swap it out for a larger one if needed. I am ordering another 4gb of ram and will install that as well.

Put is close to on par with the Lower level MacBook pros (minus the 2.7 ghz processors)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had Mac for 3 years, not ideal if you need a lot of power. Not ideal for what money can buy. But the build quality is awesome. But I still don't use Apples stuff - I feel to trapped in by all the limits all the time. I'm going for either Asus U21 (direct copy of the Apple Airs) which is about to be release in a few months, or HP's copy. Probably the Asus one since HP always have had heat problems.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just bought a MacBook air today and love it so far. I was able to
Finagle the student discount (only $50 off but also get $100 gift card)

So far I have set up a virtual machine to run windows, I have set up splashtop to run MacBook air from my iPad (easiest way to get around the no flash thing) and installed a bunch of other things.

I got the 1.8 ghz processor and the 4g ram as well as the larger 256GB SSD. It is pretty quick and the good news is that the SSD is modular so I can swap it out for a larger one if needed. I am ordering another 4gb of ram and will install that as well.

Put is close to on par with the Lower level MacBook pros (minus the 2.7 ghz processors)

Uh... did you get a "new" gen 1? That's the only way you could change most of the things you listed.

The SSD is proprietary so if you have the 256, you've pretty much maxed out for now. Unless you go with the OWC kits but 360GB is $1100.

The RAM is also soldered into the logic board and is set from the factory like that.

I have the gen 2 MBA with a 1.8 C2D, 4gb RAM and a 128SSD. It's smoking fast and I run Solaris 10 and Windows 7 virtually through Virtual Box. As a daily driver, it's far superior to any other laptop I have out there and I'll probably sell it to get the latest refresh MBA with a 1.7 i5 and thunderbolt port.

I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
On a side note, what warranties or extended coverage plans are you buying if any? It seems like you'll end up paying almost another couple hundred in coverage and still not be fully protected.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
i bought a MBP 15 6 months ago. it now shuts down daily due to overheating.

am i angry?

- chuck
ouch...that sucks man :eek:hwell: bought mine about 8 months ago and have no issues. bought a MBP 15" fully loaded and have never looked back :D

·
Registered
4,507 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Wow. Just checked out Mistwalker's suggestion, the ASUS UX21.

From Engadget:
The thickest part of this new laptop is 17mm, its entire body is built from an aluminum alloy (weighs 1.1kg / 2.4lb), and the CPUs can be specced as high as Core i7. Anything else you need to know before drooling all over yourself? How about a two-second resume from sleep, thanks to ASUS' proprietary software, a SATA III SSD, USB 3.0 connectivity, and the ability to hibernate for up to one week? The trackpad is made out of glass, while the keyboard keys are all metal. ASUS projects the launch of its shiny new UX21 in September, and you can see more of it in the gallery below or video after the break.

This is going to be $100 cheaper then a Macbook Air, and will be available with an i7. Awesome. I want one!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Uh... did you get a "new" gen 1? That's the only way you could change most of the things you listed.

The SSD is proprietary so if you have the 256, you've pretty much maxed out for now. Unless you go with the OWC kits but 360GB is $1100.

The RAM is also soldered into the logic board and is set from the factory like that.

I have the gen 2 MBA with a 1.8 C2D, 4gb RAM and a 128SSD. It's smoking fast and I run Solaris 10 and Windows 7 virtually through Virtual Box. As a daily driver, it's far superior to any other laptop I have out there and I'll probably sell it to get the latest refresh MBA with a 1.7 i5 and thunderbolt port.

I'd recommend it.
I got the latest one that came out last week.

I just saw that the ram is soldered in. That is pretty lame.

The SSD is Samsung in this model and there are some "aftermarket" 360 gb for a bit less than you quoted. But I will run with this for a while.

It is fast and I am loving it!

·
Registered
142 Posts
The only problem with these "ultra thin" laptops with massive CPU's is heat. These CPUs get hot. Real hot. The laptop, while portable is not designed to push that much heat out.

When searching for a ultrathin make sure you check out the cooling too..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Actually one gripe... It seems like it is lagging really bad with aperture. And actually freezing
If you haven't already, enable TRIM support for your MBA or upgrade to OSX Lion.

These laptops are not designed to support CPU intensive program. (aperture, dreamsuite, p-shop) You'll probably be better off running those progs on a desktop.

I've got a Windows 7 box in my home office. i7 920 overclocked, 6gb Dominator, Corsiar H50 liquid cooler, Asus P6T motherboard..:clap:

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
i bought a MBP 15 6 months ago. it now shuts down daily due to overheating.

am i angry?

- chuck
If you haven't already, enable TRIM support for your MBA or upgrade to OSX Lion.

These laptops are not designed to support CPU intensive program. (aperture, dreamsuite, p-shop) You'll probably be better off running those progs on a desktop.

I've got a Windows 7 box in my home office. i7 920 overclocked, 6gb Dominator, Corsiar H50 liquid cooler, Asus P6T motherboard..:clap:
MBP runs FCP and the full Adobe Suite just fine ;)
Even on my 4 year old 2.2 ghz MBP running lion.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts