Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Texas has plenty of Oil work don't they? There's a bunch of gigs down there to take a look into. Not sure what the industry in Alberta is looking like currently. I'm unsure if it has changed from above.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Texas has plenty of Oil work don't they? There's a bunch of gigs down there to take a look into. Not sure what the industry in Alberta is looking like currently. I'm unsure if it has changed from above.
if anyone has any questions about the alberta oil sands, shoot me a pm or post a question in the thread.. I'm right in the middle of that game.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Girlfriends dad works for Arc Resources out in Edmonton, been kicking the idea of going to work there but I'm not sure I want to leave my life here behind... Really interesting benefits though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes texas has a lot but its pretty much start at the bottom on anything unless you know somebody to get you in the door in a higher than bottom of the bucket job. I make 35/hr at my current plant I cant leave this job for such a big drop in pay... I mean im willing to take a cut to know it will pay off but not that much lol..

im only 26 so I can put in some time in a company and willing to learn.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Want work in Calgary right now? If you're a skilled interior contractor, you can make 800$+ a day installing tiles, plywood, and putting up walls. The floods caused an immense amount of damage and contractors from everywhere are killing themselves to get there first and get the contracts.

One of my neighbors is there right now and has made more in the past two months than he has in the previous 10 months.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The company I work for hires at $65,000 salary/year + $285/day every day you actually work along with a truck, fuel card, cell phone, an expense account and all equipment you need. A couple guys I met through tuning cars I ended up hiring and they will make $200k this year so the potential is there but it's hard work and sacrifice no one is looking to give hand outs and if you're not performing a pink slip will come your way pretty quick.
Damn, that's a nice pay schedule, what type of work do you do?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The bad news is it's very slow this year and jobs are hard to come by with no experience. You need to be here you need as above first aid, H2S and PST/petroleum safety training before you can get a job. Starting in most cases is likely $26-30/hr with time and 1/2 for the last 4hrs you work 12hr shifts. The company I work for hires at $65,000 salary/year + $285/day every day you actually work along with a truck, fuel card, cell phone, an expense account and all equipment you need. A couple guys I met through tuning cars I ended up hiring and they will make $200k this year so the potential is there but it's hard work and sacrifice no one is looking to give hand outs and if you're not performing a pink slip will come your way pretty quick.
Just curious who you work for? Sounds like the job you are describing is above is a Tool Hand. Red Deer guy checking in.

Anyways, I'm 20 now, Only work in the patch in the months of May-November which is more or less the slow season, but that doesn't mean there is no work. I worked service rigs when I was 18 and actually loved it, if you like hard work (which I feel most people do) then you'll find it quite rewarding. This past summer I worked doing a more specialized field of "Hot Tapping" which is more plant/pipeline orientated which wasn't too bad, but personally plants are not anywhere near as fast paced as working on a rig and I found it boring. If you like sitting on your ass, get a job in the plant sector, if you like working hard to the point where a 12 hour shift feels like 4 hours, I suggest the rigs side.

My sister is the HR lady for one of the largest oilfield construction companies out here in Alberta and she is going to Ontario in 2 weeks for a job fair because they are in desperate need of pipe fitters.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone here who can hook me up with a job ? I'm an Electrical Engineer and unfortunately specialized in Radio Frequency optimization, a field which is DEAD in Canada. Have been working for the past 5 years in the United States and US Immigration has decided to stop giving me TN Permits(their reason : you've been working too long in the U.S wtf ?!!?) I am back in Toronto. I am depressed and depression is getting the best of me.

If anyone can help I'll appreciate it. I'll take anything in the oil sands !

·
Registered
257 Posts
Anyone here who can hook me up with a job ? I'm an Electrical Engineer and unfortunately specialized in Radio Frequency optimization, a field which is DEAD in Canada. Have been working for the past 5 years in the United States and US Immigration has decided to stop giving me TN Permits(their reason : you've been working too long in the U.S wtf ?!!?) I am back in Toronto. I am depressed and depression is getting the best of me.

If anyone can help I'll appreciate it. I'll take anything in the oil sands !
I would look into Tridon Communications here in Alberta. Might be your best bet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My brother is ~20 and making the bonuses/salaries listed here, through him I can attest that the money is there and i'm sure he won't mind me saying that they even paid for his relocation from Ontario.
Just factor in the potential health costs and that you're trading full days for dollars, if that sounds simple/normal to you and you're physically fit than you might just be well suited to work in the fields.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My brother is ~20 and making the bonuses/salaries listed here, through him I can attest that the money is there and i'm sure he won't mind me saying that they even paid for his relocation from Ontario.
Just factor in the potential health costs and that you're trading full days for dollars, if that sounds simple/normal to you and you're physically fit than you might just be well suited to work in the fields.
Any links or numbers you can share to get started?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I've been considering the move for a while now, finishing my university degree in September and my Carpenter trade in Nov. Visited Edmonton in Jan and didn't really enjoy it, Calgary was a lot better and Banff was awesome. Any advice from anyone? Or help?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've been considering the move for a while now, finishing my university degree in September and my Carpenter trade in Nov. Visited Edmonton in Jan and didn't really enjoy it, Calgary was a lot better and Banff was awesome. Any advice from anyone? Or help?
Lots of jobs up north.. I usually live in Calgary, its way better than Deadmonton. I find anyway. You could make yourself some sick cash building houses up here (in fort mcmurray). I have a friend that has opened his own company building custom homes.. he's doing alllllllllright! Or, if you want to start small, start building custom QUALITY basements, most family homes go for around 750k... with a bare basement. All sorts of work up here for independent contractors man. Write your own cheque.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry guys I threw out some posts then vanished, I don't really come on here a lot. I don't have any hook ups for those that inquired, my line of work (service based) oil field experience is a huge asset so without it you are not a good candidate. Anyone interested in oilfield should start applying at drilling contractors and start at the bottom even the bottom should pay $100,000/year. Google Alberta drilling contractors and I am sure you can get started. You need lots of safety training and tickets they might even pay for your courses/tickets when they hire you. Some service companies may also hire, once you have some rig experience (even a year) it will open up a lot of doors for branching out into different fields. I am only involved with the drilling side, there are other avenues as well like well service, fracing, gas plants, pipe lines and tons of other areas to get into. I have never worked in the oil sands myself so I am not much help on the jobs available, I did have guys working in that area and visited those sites often. I did my fair share of camp work but once I was in a position that I didn't have to do camp work I avoided it.

A good little bit of anti-oil propaganda you found.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts