Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this topic because I've been considering selling my viper and nsx for money down on a murci a while now, but half of the joy of me owning these cars is me working on them. So if you do so happen to work on your own lambo; how difficult is it and where would it be possible for me to find a service manual for one. Thanks

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I work on my car. Actually, this clutch is the only work outside of some major seal & wiring issues the Hummer had in late '09, that I've had done to any of my cars. Mostly because I didn't have the tools & time to do it myself. If I lived in Michigan still, it would have been done over a weekend with some friends.

They are not difficult cars, you just have to realize that the parts have outrageous prices and you want to be much more careful working on the car than you would a different make (sans Bugatti, Ferrari, etc).

Now, it seems that a lot of Viper guys are moving onto the Murci. Which is funny because they really are completely different vehicles. Anyways, the Murci requires MUCH more attention than the Viper and you cannot beat the snot out of it and expect zero issues.

In saying that; I do not know which car I love more; the Murci or my '99 ACR.

The service manual can be had online in a condensed form for ~$25 or a good pirated OEM manual for ~$300. I will be picking up a $25 version soon.

Don't expect a lot of help from the forums, I estimate that maybe 10% of owners actually work on their car, ~40% claim they do, but in actuality, have someone else do it and claim they do the work.
Not that the Viper forums were outrageously helpful without a paid membership.

And remember; Viper is the cheapest fun/performance car to maintain. You quickly remember that once it's gone.

Also, not every insurance company will cover a Murci. I pay about $1200/year more for the Murci's insurance than the ACR.

If you need parts from Italy, be prepared to wait for at least a week.

Nick

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As always thanks for the sound advice white out. Its so true what you said about the VCA though as I still haven't paid for membership there lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I went from a Viper (well, about 10 vipers in a row) to a Gallardo, then Murcie, then back to Gallardo. I worked on all of them myself. The Gallardo is a much easier car to do so, no doubt because of Audi's involvement. If you go Gallardo, shoot for an 06 or above. My current 06 is much better than my 04.

I found the pdf's of the service manual to be helpful, but often times inadequate. The Gallardo support community is better than the Murc. I think more people work on their Gallardos than Murcs, at least that was my experience.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
check out lamboweb.com for DIY how to.

i did engine oil change, differential oil change, air filter, brake fluids. all a little more difficult than a porsche but not too terrible.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've done some minor things on my Diablo, but leave the greasy bits to my mechanic.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I try to do anything on the Diablo myself that doesn't involve engine out stuff only because I don't have a lift. Just did a new shifter rod and clutch master cylinder last weekend. I actually do more in depth stuff on the diablo that I did on the viper because I have learned much more since.

·
Registered
87 Posts
White Out
achilles99

Great Posts!

I performed simple maintenance work on my Gallardo before and after
the TT build. Oil changes , spark plugs , a little on the suspension / brakes.
Was a relatively easy and fun car to work on.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I try to do anything on the Diablo myself that doesn't involve engine out stuff only because I don't have a lift. Just did a new shifter rod and clutch master cylinder last weekend. I actually do more in depth stuff on the diablo that I did on the viper because I have learned much more since.
Stop hitting up the gym so often and you wont snap shifters. :lol:

Nick

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hey White out,

In a previous post you said that you cannot beat the snot out of a Lamborghini and expect zero issues.. What kind of issues would one encounter if they were to drive the car hard?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
My comment would be in reference to other, more basic sports cars (ie. Viper).

The Gallardo and Murcielago have shown to withstand a significant amount aggressive driving and not have any common or major failures.

You can expect to launch a Viper 30-50 times in a single day and not worry about anything except for rear tire life. You cannot expect to launch a Lambo that often without replacing a clutch.

Off the top of my head:
Murci front shocks are prone to leak
Murci/Diablo gear shifter have snapped
Murci/Gallardo e-gear pumps have failed
Clutches don't last long as they are the weak part of the driveline
Nose lift systems leak
Brakes are not cheap
Murci main bearings are not the greatest design
Murci valve adjustments are required (different intervals for different years, but generally 30k miles)
Murci/Gallardo Throttle sync'ing (easier on '04+ cars)
etc.

Nick

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's funny that you listed all those things, Nick. I've had EVERY single issue on there with my Murc. That's why I went back to a Gallardo. That, and I find the Gallardo to be more nimble and fun to drive.

·
14,490 Posts
Maybe instead of "when my doors go up, their panties drop" it should be "when my door goes up, my wallet drops." :lol:

Nick
:laugh:
Oh man that made me laugh. And Nick I'm very impressed you work on your own car this much. I have the most outright respect for you!.

I also do my own work on my BMWs all the time. Working around or removing the supercharger is always a B*tch though!.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts