Luxury4Play.com banner

41 - 60 of 484 Posts

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Thanks Russ - it's a nice forum and I'm glad to have "arrived". :D

** Moving this question over from the "Dream Garage" thread to provide an answer and any further discussion in here. **

Thanks!

When did you see these things happen? Recently, or several years ago - like maybe 2003 during the Pebble Beach weekend?

If a standard road car, then it is almost certainly chassis #038, pictured here in the driveway of Dan Kennedy. As noted in the garage thread, and mentioned above in the New England area breakdown, it's had at least 3 owners since DK sold it in early 2005 (one in Texas briefly, then one in Atlanta for a bit longer) and has sort of fallen off the radar with wherever it resides currently.

I do believe it is still in the USA. As recent as 2007 it was displayed at a car show in the North East I am forgetting the name of. As to the current owner, I have a name that I have been told should be it and he is someone that you might expect would and could buy a car like the F1, but it is not yet confirmed.

EDIT: Found the name of the show - Fairfield County Concours d'Elegance held at the Fairfield County Hunt Club in West Port, CT - and here are the pair of photos from Sept 17th, 2007 where it won the "Best In Class - 1976-2007" award.

>8^)
ER
I would say it was about 2 months ago. The first time, I would say last semester, maybe around May or so. The first time I saw it it was coming down the road that passes a mall, and the second time I saw it was maybe a street away from the first place I saw it. It wasn't dark persay, but it wasn't light either. I remember pulling up close to him but the light turned green and he floored it up to towards 17 Mile. If it makes any difference, it had wheels that looked very close to the BMW M3s you see around and had the wing too.

I remember it in my head pretty well; I tried taking a picture but that thing is damn fast.

J.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Okay - that's new info... :cool: Was there perhaps a wing on it at all?

Did it look more like this car maybe, instead of the one I just shared?

<-- click each for hires

Had another thought... If there was no wing, could the wheels have looked like these perhaps?

____

Those were made by NEEZ - http://www.neez.co.jp - but I believe they have at least one US distributor.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
This is going to be the next huge thread on L4P! :thumb:
Hey now, don't oversell it. :bitenails: We're barely on Pg 2 here by my count. :D

If people run out of things they want to talk about, I'm not just going to continue babbling away post after post, even though I possibly (read: probably) could. :D

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yes, I know -and these green faces - :D - meant I am kidding, which is often the case.

Appreciate the enthusiasm, but will be delighted if we unexpectedly reach double digits on the page counter.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
637 Posts
which mclaren f1 did they use at the michelin booth because it seemed more like a regular mclaren f1 with a HD kit on and not the full LM conversion

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
peloton do you have any information on the mclaren f1 currently sitting in a showroom in hong kong at a dealer called SPS SPS Automotive Performance-Mclaren F1 here is the link but it is currently for sale do you know any history on this car?
Revisting this question again and continuing the #063/#064 dialogue, here is a link to their current ad for the car on Anamera.com:

1997 McLaren F1 for sale: Anamera

Note these photos are similar, but different to the ones that are seen on the SPS website of #064. Does this confirm that #063 is the one they still have? Not necessarily, as these are the same photos of #063 in their showroom that were first shared back in May 2007 as I earlier mentioned.

Should it mean the car they have to sell is #063 - well, I would hope so, but maybe they are just supplying them in 'File Photo' fashion? Happens sometimes, for sure. Also, the watch they show in the TagHeuer box in the final image looks very nice, but looks nothing like the watch that was included along with the purchase of each McLaren F1.

Most original owners chose to hold onto their watches, so its been said that they rarely are passed along to a new owner. The same is also true of a lot of the bits that were included in the purchase of an F50 - like the driving shoes - those hardly ever stayed with the car.

= = = = =

Also, in my earlier response I said that prior to going to HK:

"Then #063 showed up in another random car showroom in Japan I don't recall the name of in Jan 2007."

I pulled up those photos again, and looking at them more closely it doesn't appear to be a car showroom really. Name on the door says "HASUMI CORPORATION" and to the left of the car it appears they're displaying ...hot tubs? :confused:

There do appear to be car images on the walls of the showroom. I had never heard of the place myself, but a quick Google search I just did gives Sundance Spas website in return. So, hot tubs they are then. :)

Perhaps the car briefly belonged to the owner? Maybe it was loaned to them for a brief display? All plausible guesses graciously accepted.

Minor detail: Those three images are 3 years old as of yesterday, which was when I was talking about them. Strange...

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
which mclaren f1 did they use at the michelin booth because it seemed more like a regular mclaren f1 with a HD kit on and not the full LM conversion
You are talking about the Michelin booth at the 2006 SEMA show in Las Vegas, shown here correct?

If so, that is chassis #073, originally an F1 road car that has indeed been fitted with the LM-spec engine, and the "Extra-High Downforce Kit" which adds the vents over the front wheel arches, mimicking the longtails. This car, and it's near twin, #018, are the only two F1 road cars in the world with those modifications, and qualify as part of the "new variants" that I still need to edit into this earlier post. It is not a real LM as presented, and it wasn't "Converted to an LM" as some might claim. I tend to think those two cars are really something slightly more special than an LM, personally.

That same chassis #073 is the car in this post just above as a possible option for the one that JGiefer saw in Monterey. Unless things have changed though recently, it should still be in Don Wallace's garage down in Tampa, FL. It was he who loaned the car to Michelin for the display along with his first Veyron - chassis #001 - which he has since sold, that was also seen in their amazing display.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
637 Posts
ooo ok and 001 Veyron is sitting in Ogara coach right now for sale for around 2 million but the question that is most intriguing for me is if they went to the extent of getting the LM the Extra HD modifications for the exterior why did they not do the conversion for the interior?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
I can't answer you any better than Christie's explained it in their excellent auction description really:

McLaren F1 'Extra High Downforce' - LM engine

Exceptional Motor Cars and Automobilia Auction
at the Jack Barclay Showroom Tuesday 2nd December 2003 at 6pm

Kandy orange metallic with magnolia nubuck leather with beige alcantara inserts to the drivers seat and beige alcantara with magnolia nubuck leather inserts to the passenger seats

Engine; BMW V12, twin overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, electronic fuel injection, 6064cc, producing 691bhp at 7,500rpm; Gearbox: six-speed manual; Suspension: double unequal length wishbones, Ground Plane Shear Centre sub-frames and anti-roll bar front: Inclined Axis Shear mounting system with toe in/ toe out control links rear, alloy dampers, co-axial springs Brakes: ventilated disc, four piston monobloc light alloy Brembo calipers, computer cooling with balance aerofoil and Central steering position.

The idea of creating the ultimate and most exciting road car was conceived as early as 1988 just after the Italian Grand Prix. Following a meeting of minds led by designer Gordon Murray, McLaren declared an intention to build the ultimate road car utilising technology generated from their position as world leaders in the blue riband of motor racing – Formula 1. Six months later an announcement was made to the press at the Brazilian Grand Prix in Rio de Janeiro declaring their intention to build a perfect car 'The best McLaren could make regardless of cost'.

The result was the most sensational combination of styling with performance: the build quality unsurpassed and a design of unparalleled function and purpose. The car featured a BMW engine unit of V-12 configuration at a 60 degree angle, with a displacement of just over six liters. Featuring four valves per cylinder and continuous variable inlet valve timing, the dry sump magnesium cast engine fed power through a transversely mounted six speed gearbox mated to a triple plate carbon clutch with aluminium flywheel. With a power to weight ratio of 550bhp per ton performance was electrifying; 0-60mph could be reached in 3.2 seconds and after passing 100mph at 6.3 seconds it could continue to a maximum speed of 231mph (figures quoted by Autocar). By total contrast the F1 is equally at home in traffic and it is claimed that one can trickle along at 35mph in top gear whilst the engine gently idles – a single gear with an operating field spanning nearly 200mph!

Asides from the mechanical specification the body was equally unique, drawing on McLaren's Formula 1 expertise it was fabricated entirely of carbon fibre composite construction. Unlike other commonly utilised materials in car manufacture, carbon fibre is unperishable; not capable of flex or rusting it is quoted as being able to 'last forever'. With a safety cell to protect the three occupants it provided what was effectively a single seater Grand Prix concept with room for a passenger recessed either side of the central driving position.

The prototype was launched to public scrutiny at Monaco in 1992 where potential customers were able to choose their personal options and even specify their preferred steering wheel and pedal locations. Standard specification was comprehensive and included a gold-plated Facom titanium tool-roll, fitted luggage, magnesium alloy wheels and a specially designed lightweight Kenwood stereo system. In addition to this, a complete Facom tool chest with all McLaren F1 necessary tools was separately included. From this debut it then took nearly two years for the first customer-ordered cars to be delivered in 1994. Praise was unanimous, not least by the few privileged owners but the press alike. In 1998 a McLaren F1 road car was recorded at 386.7kmh / 240.14mph and this stands today as the fastest speed ever recorded by a production car. It was claimed that the F1 was never designed as a race car, if that is indeed true the F1 must be the most successful accidental hero ever to grace the racetrack. After a debut win at Le Mans in 1995 the F1 went on to record numerous victories in GT events across the globe including two FIA GT World Championships.

After the Le Mans victory of 1995, McLaren made a commemorative 'LM' model destined for road use which had increased horsepower, greater downforce and improved handling characteristics to the standard McLaren road car but it lacked the internal comforts of the standard model. This stunning one owner example was delivered by McLaren in 1998 and this particular collector wanted a unique car which combined the best of both worlds; the performance of the 'LM' with the internal comforts of the standard model thus giving the uncompromised option of everyday road use.

After the car was purchased, McLaren offered to undertake this extraordinary project in their workshops in Woking, England. It began with the fitment of their GTR-inspired 'High Downforce Package' which dramatically improved high speed road holding and stability. Later additional improvement was requested to increase the aerodynamic capability of the car in an effective but visually subtle manner thus it was decided to add louvres to the tops of the front wings and balance the rear end of the car with a 4mm 'Gurney flap'. Documented testing at Bruntingthorpe proving ground in May 2000 evaluated these additions and the conclusion was the following; '…The additional downforce enhances the existing levels of grip and stability and provides a great feeling of confidence and security, particularly at high speed.' In addition to this, McLaren installed larger radiators and a sports exhaust system (the original system also accompanies the car) along with a set of forged multi-spoke wheels (exclusive to this car) brandishing suitably colossal Michelin tyres all round. To complete this marvel the LM engine was installed; producing an astonishing 691bhp at 7500rpm and 735 NM of torque (dyno test sheet can be provided upon request) it makes a significant performance improvement. It is important to acknowledge the significance of this upgrade as there is only one other McLaren F1 roadcar with the LM engine fitted.

An additional fax sent from McLaren in August 2000 complimented this astonishing car even further; McLaren's most experienced test driver commented that this car was 'the ultimate F1 variant, having the best combination of performance, stability, grip and handling, whilst still being practical for road use'.

Unbelievable to think it possible for the greatest Supercar of all time, but with performance raised to an uncompromised optimum level, seemingly there could be no further necessary requirements. However thanks to the comprehensive options and upgrade packages offered by the McLaren factory to this privileged individual, it was decided to respray and retrim the car to his desired combination. A unique dark tangerine metallic colour was chosen, as the studio photography shows, the result is absolutely mesmerising and for long-term protection from stonechips 'Armourfend' (a ultra thin, transparent film) has been applied to the most prone areas such as the nose, headlights and wing mirrors. In complimentary contrast, the interior was trimmed to 'GT' specification with a magnolia alcantara headlining and magnolia wilton carpets, the driver's seat was privileged with magnolia nubuck leather with beige alcantara inserts and the passenger seats were mirrored in beige alcantara with magnolia nubuck leather inserts. To finish and sharpen the visual appearance the dashboard was trimmed in black alcantara and black wilton overmats adorn the footwells.

Also uprated is the air conditioning system. In the cockpit there is a 14 inch leather-trimmed steering wheel and a Phillips satellite navigation system nestles in the left footwell within a custom-made carbon fibre casing. Notably the carbon fibre instrument panel incorporates a gear change light and the chassis number is engraved into the rev counter. Whilst in the car, you have the ability to listen to the stereo, the two-way radio Motorola communication system, the navigation satellite and/or converse with each other whilst on the move (with or without using the helicopter-rated intercom system and Peltor headsets). Other factory upgrades on this most select McLaren include gas discharge headlights, lightly tinted side windows and as a custom request the 'F1' motifs on the doors and the sides of the rear wing have been painted silver. To complete the astonishing achievement Gordon Murray himself has hand-signed this supercar on the carbon fibre area in between the chassis plate and the gear stick in silver permanent marker.

Since new, the car has always been stored in the custody of McLaren Cars and all service and up-grade options, that McLaren offers to their exclusive clientele, have only ever been carried out by McLaren Cars in their Customer Care Workshops. The LM engine has covered just over 5,000kms (3,000 miles) since installation and less than 500kms since the last thorough service. The odometer reading displays just 18,540kms (11,500 miles) but if one takes into consideration that the chassis is unperishable and the engine is so fresh, it can be regarded as virtually new. Presented in immaculate condition throughout, this particular McLaren F1 is an 'ultimate' example of the model and with its comprehensive specification and knockout looks should not be missed.

Included is the Facom tool kit, McLaren 073 wristwatch made specifically for this car, fitted luggage, users manuals and the Swiss Permis de Circulation.

colour Kandy Orange

interior colour Magnolia nubuck/Beige alcantara

drive LHD

type Coupe

year 1998

Chassis No. SA9AB5AC4W1048073

Engine No. GTR LM 61121 6053 1648

Price estimate: 500.000 - 600.000 GBP

country UK

Christie's Sale, London 2nd December 2003
<cont>

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Sorry for the WALLOFTEXT up there. Just barely got it in under the maximum character limitation.

Those who actually read it all may have been slightly puzzled by one section in the middle as it sort of implies something it shouldn't by saying - "McLaren made a commemorative 'LM' model..." then says "This stunning one owner example was delivered by McLaren in 1998..." - as if this was somehow a 1998 McLaren F1 LM. All the real production LMs were built in 1996, and in the end chassis numbers do not lie and this is and always will be an F1 road car. Just an incredibly special one, not to be confused at all with the LM. The two are, as you have now read, quite a bit different. I don't think it is open for debate either, it just requires someone to give a more complete answer to explain the LM connection. :)

From Classic Driver:

Bidding on the McLaren started vigorously and, as auctioneer Rupert Banner explains below, soon developed into a ‘a long battle' with several members of Christie's staff fielding overseas enquiries, and at least two bidders in the body of the house - one on a mobile near next to your correspondent. In an atmosphere carvable by the legendary knife, the price just kept on going up – a slight pause then it resumed its relentless climb. The hammer finally fell at a figure that translates (with buyer's premium) to £731,250 – the highest price paid at auction for a motor-car this year. Hearty applause greeted the hammer going down and a delighted bidder turned round to look at his new purchase. It really was one of those moments.
On that date in history, the $ to £ exchange rate was $1.71920 : £1.00 for a post-conversion total of $1,257,165.00

That price, while exceeding the Christie's auction estimate by quite a lot, has actually ended up being an extremly amazing deal - perhaps almost the greatest deal ever for an F1 second-hand, with one single exception I know of. As you just read, this is a very, very special McLaren F1 with just one other to match it's specs and appointments anywhere in the world. Given the dramatic rise in values F1s have seen since Wallace acquired the car, it would surely be worth more than double that if on the market today I believe.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Okay - that's new info... :cool: Was there perhaps a wing on it at all?

Did it look more like this car maybe, instead of the one I just shared?

<-- click each for hires

Had another thought... If there was no wing, could the wheels have looked like these perhaps?

____

Those were made by NEEZ - NEEZ.Inc - �¢ŠE�ÅŒy—Ê‚Ì’b‘¢ƒ}ƒOƒlƒVƒEƒ€ƒzƒC�[ƒ‹�AƒAƒ‹ƒ~ƒzƒC�[ƒ‹‚̓j�[ƒY - but I believe they have at least one US distributor.

>8^)
ER
It looked exactly like the first picture, and had that exact wing I'd say.

It's unbeleivable how much you know. I wish McLaren read L4P, they should totally hire you.

J.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Wow - awesome for you man! That's the exact same car outlined above in the WALLOFTEXT - chassis #073.

If it's no longer in Wallace's collection, that would be pretty big news. Maybe it's just visiting, but over a span of that many months, or twice in one year? Kind of hard to imagine that much coincidence. A lot of F1 owners do of course have the coin to have homes in multiple places, or maybe Wallace relocated and still has the car? Sorry - thinking out loud here.

Do you recall the license plate that was on it either time you saw the car?

EDIT - Took me a while to recall, but on another forum there was a report that Wallace's collection might be sold off due to health issues he was having. I had forgotten about it before, because the comments were made way back in September 2007. So, no need for wild speculation. It has almost certainly found a new owner now. Happy to hear that it is now just a little closer to me, as that is one F1 I would like to eventually cross paths with someday. Also quite glad to hear that it is being used as intended - that's probably the best portion of your story for a guy like me who knows of so many F1s that just sit around.

= = = = =

BTW: For those reading along in wonderment at this thread, conversations like this one are exactly how I have gathered a lot of the info I have learned over the years. :thumbup:

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Excellent contribution Vik! :clap:

I remember the story you told (forget which forum it was on?) about being over at a friend's house and having him knock on his neighbor's door to show you guys XP4 hiding in Larry's garage. Great stuff that was - and just the kind of hospitality I'd expect from him.

The shots with the beautiful ladies are all new ones for me. I especially like the depth of field used on the interior shots with Teresa and Sierra in the driver's seat - makes the interior look twice the size it actually is. Good stuff!! :)

The owner of this car worked for Eastman-Kodak for a while and is quite the photographer himself. He took this great set of photos at the grand opening party for "Club Auto Sport" in San Jose that feature XP4 as well.

>8^)
ER

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Excellent contribution Vik! :clap:

I remember the story you told (forget which forum it was on?) about being over at a friend's house and having him knock on his neighbor's door to show you guys XP4 hiding in Larry's garage. Great stuff that was - and just the kind of hospitality I'd expect from him.

The shots with the beautiful ladies are all new ones for me. I especially like the depth of field used on the interior shots with Teresa and Sierra in the driver's seat - makes the interior look twice the size it actually is. Good stuff!! :)

The owner of this car worked for Eastman-Kodak for a while and is quite the photographer himself. He took this great set of photos at the grand opening party for "Club Auto Sport" in San Jose that feature XP4 as well.

>8^)
ER
It was posted on l4p

http://www.luxury4play.com/automotive/3275-mclaren-xp4.html

·
Registered
10,546 Posts

____

Those were made by NEEZ - http://www.neez.co.jp - but I believe they have at least one US distributor.

>8^)
ER
Yeap us! :D

Can I vote this thread of the year already! :bow: :p

About time you start this thread Pelton! Very glad you are here to share your knowledge. Now if I can only get Carbon "Enzo" McCoy to join on here with his knowledge on Enzos...:p

41 - 60 of 484 Posts