Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only just been getting into Ales this past year (was more of a Wheat beer guy before.. leffe blonde, la choufe etc)

but now im much more into my ales, and thankfully in the UK there is an abundance of good Ale producers
I think i have tried around 50-60 different ales this year.. Helped along nicely with our annual GBBF (Great British Beer Festival) this yeah they had 470 beers and ciders on tap.. Was EPIC lol

Had a few American ales that were pretty good too.. (think one of them was Thirsty Beaver )

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Thirsty Beaver is actually Canadian. Based here in Vancouver.
I have some of their stuff on a fairly frequent basis, its high quality stuff.

In terms of Ales, I typically go for either a cream ale or an amber ale.

If and when I actually make my way to the UK instead of other parts of Europe I think I am going to have a small kidney failure with the amount of beers I am going to have to try (and thoroughly enjoy).

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
i like to use ale to make bread around the house...
but since i dont drink alky..dont know buch about them..
what is a good thick full bodied brand? that i can find easily around town?

·
Registered
58 Posts
im based in san diego so i always have a cheap supply of stone brewery ales in my fridge.

right now i got

levitation ale
india pale ale
oaked arrogant bastard
lukcy bastartd
double bastard
smoke porter
sublimely self righteous
russian imperial stout

also got other stuff from alpine, coronado, avery alesmith and some other breweries

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I'm a big fan of Abbey Ales right now.
Dank tank from Sweetwater is a really good local Georgia brew
La Fin Du Monde is probably my favorite, from Canada.
As far as one to find easily around town, Blue Moons winter is an Abbey Ale

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
And I think that both La Chouffe and Leffe Blonde are strictly considered Belgian Ales, so it seems like the OP is already an Ale Man. :)

I've really been enjoying the harvest ales this year. A local micro up here named Muskoka put out an amazing one this fall, and I hear that the Sierra Nevada harvest ales are usually top notch.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Love Ales. Specifically, IPA's and Reds. I live a couple blocks away from a local microbewery and love their selection, so i usually just pick up Growlers from them.

Dogfish head also has some nice brews, as well as Sierra Nevada as previously mentioned.

I think the beauty with Ales is that there is an infinite amount of possibilities.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
And I think that both La Chouffe and Leffe Blonde are strictly considered Belgian Ales, so it seems like the OP is already an Ale Man. :)

I've really been enjoying the harvest ales this year. A local micro up here named Muskoka put out an amazing one this fall, and I hear that the Sierra Nevada harvest ales are usually top notch.
The Sierra's are pretty tasty. They are also putting out a 30th Anniversary series that is great too.

Firestone Walker is a local micro brew here don't know if anyones had it definitely worth a a try.

Comes in a box! Must be expensive :lol:

Have you had it?

FW isn't too far south of the bay area. They make some good stuff...

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I've only just been getting into Ales this past year (was more of a Wheat beer guy before.. leffe blonde, la choufe etc)
Leffe Blond is not a wheat beer. La Choufe Blond is not a wheat beer. In fact, these are both ales. As it turns out, you have been more of an ale guy all along. :D

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
5starliquors: not to hijack this thread, but you don't show up in the sponsor directory (I know you ARE a sponsor, I remember the introduction thread). Are you in the SYV?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Sierra's are pretty tasty. They are also putting out a 30th Anniversary series that is great too.

Comes in a box! Must be expensive :lol:

Have you had it?

FW isn't too far south of the bay area. They make some good stuff...
Well it retails for about $29.99 a bottle the problem is they only produce 1000 cases for the world. Now I haven't had the 14 year which is this years production. I've had last years which was the 13 year but I was to much for my liking. The Brewery is in San Luis Obispo County in Paso Robles not to far from the bay like 200 Miles maybe.

Last Year Bottle

5starliquors: not to hijack this thread, but you don't show up in the sponsor directory (I know you ARE a sponsor, I remember the introduction thread). Are you in the SYV?
I'm not sure why I'm not in the directory will contact a mod. No not in Santa Ynez Valley in San Luis Obispo County.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Leffe Blond is not a wheat beer. La Choufe Blond is not a wheat beer. In fact, these are both ales. As it turns out, you have been more of an ale guy all along. :D
well ok.. but i was comparing them to English Ale's (no bubbles)

but yeah they are Abby Ales arent they ?

Do you guys get Leffe Blonde over in the States ? That is still pretty much my favorite beer. Bit on the strong side to make a night of it but i like to treat myself to a pint now and again ;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Love ales :)
In the winter I normally try to stay darker but here is the nights selection.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Delirium is a great brew. There used to be a bar here in NoVa called Dr. Dremo's that had it on tap. I miss that aspect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts