·
Extra Mustard
16,977 Posts
i use it for major international flights-
worth every penny if:
-you hate flying
-have family
-have the extra extra $$$

otherwise i say Virgin America is the healthy commercial alternative.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
If only Virgin came to Tulsa.
+1. I live in Arkansas now and know how you feel. When I was living out in San Diego I would fly Virgin to S.F. to visit my little brother and the experience was as good as I've had. Cheap too! Now I've moved back to Arkansas and little bro is done at the Academy of Art; so no more Cali and no more Virgin.....Bummer.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I use Virgin America all the time between SF and SD when headed to the beach house...but after commuting to the airport, security and wait times and the pain in the ass of traveling in general, I almost prefer to drive as I am doing this afternoon.

Seriously contemplating getting my pilot's license and then that cirrus, would be easy to fly from Napa to SD then:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Try Bluestar Private Jet, Jet Charter, Charter Flights, Private Charter, Air Charter, Flights worldwide by Blue Star Jets they have a better price structure then Marquis and the ground time and additional fees are more reasonable IMO. Also look for local corporations that are willing to charter, a lot of these guys are not using them like they use to and if your schedule is a little flexible you can pick up some decent charters without having to buy a whole block of time. Since dead cost is high there really are no "deals" but you make it simi affordable especially when traveling with a group and splitting cost.
I can second bluestar...their "empty leg" deals are great. Granted you are still at the mercy of a schedule, but given the volume of empty leggers they offer, keep an eye on them and eventually you will stumble upon an itinerary that works for you. Please note....haven't tried NJ / MJ yet....they have priced out a little too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Marquis set the standard for private jets however over the years, competitors have come in and significantly undercut them, and by today's standard as far as open market pricing, they are way over the top, and IMO, not worth it. We used them for a 25 hour card several years ago. Nice, convenient, all of the above, worked well for us at the time and fit our immediate needs.

It ended up being less annually for us to own the machine, based on our use, than rent it from someone else with their hourly price built in. When we have free time, our machines go out for Part 135 use (charter) for Marquis biggest competitor(s).

You'll find some deals on guys selling off shares of their cards (8th or 16th share) in a machine that may make sense for you.

It's a premium, yes. The cost of flying private can never be justified. The quality of life however can. Many times over.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
How does their 25 hour cards work? Lets say I want to go from Toronto to Las Vegas, am I charged only for the 4.5 hours there, or do they charge me for the flight time to get to me first?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
How does their 25 hour cards work? Lets say I want to go from Toronto to Las Vegas, am I charged only for the 4.5 hours there, or do they charge me for the flight time to get to me first?
Depends. (or it can in some cases)
It's called Relocation Service, and some providers charge for it, or charge a percent of in certain (rare) cases.

Where Relocation Service / Fees are common is a one way to Toronto or somewhere else. Unless they can pick up a leg to get the machine back, you'll pay to get it back to its "home" area. This also applies for International flights. If they easily / quickly pick up a return leg off your one way, they you are charged a gross fee (say 500 dollars) for relo. I say gross because you're paying for someone to make a phone call or two, and log into a website where most all of the charter houses buy, sell, and trade time for their fleet. (Marquis is not one of them, they do 99% in-house with their own fleet).

Generally speaking, (and everyone slices their pie differently) but a 25 hour card works as a debit account. You're essentially buying 25 hours of time at a particular rate.

Everyone uses essentially the same numbers from airport to airport based on machine, speed, distance, etc. So, LA to SFO is roughly a 1 hour flight. You are charged anywhere from 4 to 10 minutes for taxi time, (both ends) plus the actual air time. So, LA to SFO would be 74 minutes if they were using 6 minute taxi legs for each end. So your card (account) would be debited 74 minutes of 25 hours. Then add on the return flight, etc.

You'll also pick up other expenses such as catering, booze, car service, concierge, etc.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I agree about Virgin - I LOVE them and they put all other US carriers to shame. If anyone lives in the Vegas/SoCal area - check out Lucky Jets! Exceptional prices (lower than $1k round-trip for some flights) and they have deals with the Wynn. Look em up and tell Reza Karamooz to give ya a deal! ;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts