Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We don't have a video subsection but its something i've always had a keen interest in. I've been spending a lot of time interviewing a videographer that we are featuring on our site this coming Monday and it's got me thinking about getting a Nikon D7000 or a Canon 7D and get into the world of HD DSLR video.

Anyone do it? Recommend equipment? Best "all around lens" for video starting out?

Cheers!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes, I've been slowly picking up video. I'm getting a little better with Final Cut, I can make it do what I want without too much frustration. I've found video to be more demanding than photography by a considerable degree. It also requires more gear.

I've been using a prosumer camcorder until recently, now I'm moving to DSLR.

Here are the few vids I've done so far.

supercar sunday Supercar Sunday on Vimeo

more cars and coffee YouTube - Cars and Coffee Irvine 08-28-2010

GTR and RS4 Three GTRs and an RS4 attack Angeles Crest on Vimeo

Cars and Coffee Cars and Coffee 06-20-09 on Vimeo

GTR track day YouTube - GTR Track Day @ Buttonwillow 3/30/2009

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I'm definitely picking up a T2i this summer and going to try my hand at it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone shed some light on the New canon vs. nikon offerings specifically relating to video usage?

Is a T2i enough? Does it run 24-30 fps? Or would you be better getting an older 7D?

I've heard that the Nikon's have better lens selection for video and that might be reason enough to lean that way...

I just want *good* equipment that can get me started - but also not leave me needing to upgrade in 6 months.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think the 7D is awesome. You can get adapters to use many different types of lenses on either Nikon or Canon bodies.

·
Registered
57 Posts
don't buy canon or nikon just because you've heard it has better video res or more video lenses. Go to a store and pick them both up and play with them. Find which one works best for you ergonomically and let that drive what you do. At this point Canon is the leader in quality for video with the 5D mk II and the 7D. Nikons are pretty good(haven't seen too much on the D7000).

If you like video(want some behind the scenes and stuff) and/or photography visit http://fstoppers.com and look at their videos. Especially find the Canon Caravan videos. The information works for any brand, a lot of it is based on what accesories do and what different lenses will give you in a very visual way. The Stillmotion guys who did those videos are amazing. Most of their stuff is wedding videos but you'll be impressed. If you want hints on cinematography, try to find videos from EXL productions and ZR Auto in Calgary Canada. Errol is fantastic and just keeps getting better.

Hope the information is of use to you.

·
Registered
366 Posts
nikon is the way to go as lenses are interchangeable between models. Every now and again canon will change their lens adapter design and you wont be able to use your $$$$ in lenses with their newest models. FAIL!

A Nikon D90 will have you shooting video in no time. Next most important thing is stabilization. Doesnt matter how crisp your video is if its shaking like the Blair Witch Project.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Also, Panasonic is about to release the AG-AF100. It's a dedicated camcorder that uses a 4/3 sensor, similar to a DSLR. It supports Panasonic's lenses natively and there are already adapters that will let you use Nikon and Leica lenses. The Canon EOS adapter is coming soon, too. The quality of this camera is pretty amazing and it does not suffer from most of the shortcomings of DSLRs (moire, shutter roll, the 'jello' effect during quick pans, short clip lengths) plus it has balanced XLR inputs for audio, a built in 4 step ND filter, etc. Street price is going to be around $4800. So it's nearly twice the price of a 5D Mark 2. But considering its capabilities you may very well come close to spending that much on 5D2 accessories to make it work comparably well, and there are some shortcomings that simply can't be worked around.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone who hasn't checked out the "Film Riot" videos (the one about the 5d vs t2i review) above and all of their other videos are missing out on a lot. I have gone through almost every one of their episodes and they are hilarious, witty, and very informative.

Highly recommend checking them out.

I think i'm going to try and pick up a used 60D because its the same as a T2i but with the swivel screen - I think that could make shooting video much easier. As far as the 7d, its basically the same camera on the video side (7d is a better still photo camera), but I can't justify the added expense and going for a 5d MKII out of the gate seems way too overblown for myself.

Then I think i'm going to try and pick up some cheap manual FD lenses and a 30.00 adapter to start trying some different techniques... 60D kit lens any good?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts