Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for something I have never done before. I have built cars, motorcycles and have taken apart and painted many planes. I have never attempted to build an entire plane and wonder if anyone here has done so? When I say build I mean purchase a kit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Definitely interested in this project. From what I am reading, it's not as easy as downloading plans and getting to work; there's a lot more regulation and procedure involved.

If you do decide to give it a go, can you please post lots of pics and info as to how you got started?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I havent, but always wanted to. When I was younger I had a subscription to kitplanes magazine

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Personally if I could build any kit plane I would probably go with either, a Velocity or a startduster

If money was no object I might go crazy and get a Viperjet but it appears the company is no longer around, and the fact that it burns his whole 300gallon fuel load in about a hour would be a bit of an inconvenience

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
My friend does! He built his first glider, and recently a plane. I'll try to ask him about it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If money was no object I might go crazy and get a Viperjet but it appears the company is no longer around, and the fact that it burns his whole 300gallon fuel load in about a hour would be a bit of an inconvenience
My god. 75 gal/hr at idle? The thing would burn less fuel if it was on fire

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have been involved in rebuilding four airplanes over the last 30 years. None were a homebuilt or experimental airplane. I do know a few people who have taken on the project on Ventures and various Burt Rutan designed planes. I would suggest that you join the EAA chapter and emerse yourself in all of the classes and workshops they offer. It will give you experience, skills and access to people that can be hugely beneficial to you in the process. I personally am leary of homebuilt aircraft after seeing what some builders think is safe or correct-scary!! this is not to say that I haven't seen factory built planes that should have the airworthiness certificate taken away because the plane is such a mechanical disaster waiting to happen.

I would like to think that my work is as good of better than what the manufactrer rolled out the door for flight testing on day one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dad built an experimental when i was a little kid. It was a single seat, open cockpit "Mini Max". It could take off and land in around 150 feet. It was fun to watch him fly but i preferred our family friends piper cub so i could go along.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I work on, repair, and inspect fighter aircraft as my job. Have also done a bit of work on light aircraft.. If you are looking into this and have any questions feel free to PM me. If I don't have answers I work with some very knowledgeable people who could steer you in the right direction..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I work on, repair, and inspect fighter aircraft as my job. Have also done a bit of work on light aircraft.. If you are looking into this and have any questions feel free to PM me. If I don't have answers I work with some very knowledgeable people who could steer you in the right direction..
Out of curiosity, what airframes do you service/are you familiar with?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Out of curiosity, what airframes do you service/are you familiar with?
I carried out my apprenticeship on an Aermacchi MB-339 airframe, have carried out work on light aircraft that I have flown, Cessna 152/172 and currently am working on F/A-18 A and B model airframe. If my career transition doesn't work out this coming year hoping to be transferred onto the larger platform 737.

Are you also in the industry?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not; at least, not yet.

I'm looking to start flying lessons this year, and go back to school to study mechanical and aerospace engineering within the next 3 years. I'm always looking sources of info to read, and for knowledgeable people to speak to.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Building it is not a big problem. Getting it certified to fly is a huge one. FAA rules are pretty strict.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I helped my old man build 2 kit aircraft

We built a xair falcon reg G-CDPS the ps been his initials

And we built a jabiru reg G-JABY

The xair was sold once certified (felt like a death trap) and the jabiru was kept for a year after certified but he only flew it for a few hours, again IMO felt like a death trap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts