Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as the Winter proceeds to be stupid and cold as ever, my brain starts telling me i need an exotic.

I have driven the v12v and i did really enjoy it. Even the prices, thanks to the incredible rate of depreciation, for really low milage used ones arent all that bad.
My only concern is, how is the car to live with pretty much every day ? Its surely wont be my daily driver, but something i want to be able to enjoy anytime i please.
I am also pretty much covered in terms of "road racers" with my gt2 and my gt3 rs waiting at the dealer to get picked up, so it will exclusively be used on the road and
definately some longer trips.

So now i ask you, my dear vantage owners, whats it like to own the probably best looking car on the planet ? how is reliability ? anything to look out for ?

Thank you very much in advance :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm on my third Aston, being the V12V (first a 4.3 V8V, then a V8VS). The V12 engine has been solid and reliable, especially as its used in pretty much all other Astons. I still have another year of warranty for added comfort, so I plan on stacking the miles come 2014 (currently averaging 5k miles/year). I've pondered daily'ing the car, but with how low I am on my suspension, it would be a challenge. Being out in Southern California, our winters are sunny days with 70-degree weather, so I've been able to use the car anytime I please.

Honestly (and I'm biased), not many cars are this rare, exclusive and feel "special" like the Aston, especially a V12V. With everything changing in the car industry, if you can hold onto a V12, 6-speed manual, it will be a thing of the past. Best of luck with your search!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply ! i was also looking into a 458 italia, but i just love the concept of still being able to buy a v12 manual car in 2013, or 2014 in my case. Right now i am in canada, but i already have an appointment to look at a 2011 carbon black v12v with about 3k miles on the clock when im back home in germany in janurary. dont hate me if i get the same wheels as you have on yours....its rightout stunning ! i plan to use the car all seasons. im not going to drive it in the snow obviously, but if its a nice, dry sunny winters day...why not :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I lurk in the background around here most of the time but would love to detail my feelings on the v12 Vantage:

I bought my A.M. V12 Vantage second hand in early August. It is a 2011 that had about 3,000 miles at the time. Immediately I took it to Monterey for car week (which is about 200 miles each way from me), and was generally very impressed with it's long-drive prowess. The suspension is unquestionably firm but wasn't back breaking, and the luggage space was extremely plentiful between my passenger and I for a 5 day trip (one thing worth noting is that for the past 3 years before this 2013 I had been taking a Ferrari 430 spider, so my perceptions may be skewed due to the fact the Aston is more grand tourer in every way).

Around town I love driving the Aston Martin- it is understated (in dark colors) but unquestionably special looking. It sounds amazing, and fits my personal needs very well (it my only late-model front-engined super car, so it's a nice change up). There is an absolute ton of power down low so it really is fun not to have to wind out the engine to have fun, but instead to just ride a wave of low down torque on city roads. People absolutely love stopping and talking about the car, and I think there is less of a stigma about Aston Martin ownership than Ferrari ownership (which only really matters to some people).

On the maintenance side of things, I haven't dealt with any issues (yet) so I can't comment on that, but I bought an extended warranty (which is available from any authorized Aston Martin dealer). One thing worth noting, however, is the condition of the interior. The owner before me rubbed against the side bolster on the way in/out of the car and it caused a slight separation of of the stitching on the bolsters (something I was told is not too uncommon on these cars). I would also just check out the condition of the Alcantara (which is everywhere on the interior) to make sure it isn't being rubbed off on the steering wheel or anything.

Overall, I'd say that this was a car that I didn't have a good reason to buy, even by supercar standards. It doesn't produce crazy horsepower numbers or corner completely flat, but the visceral experience of downshifting on your own and hearing the exhaust roar behind you is absolutely addictive! It definitely feels nice to be able to walk out into the garage and just look at it, and it'll forever be a cool car because of the limited production run and the fact that it's likely the last manual v12 to ever be made, and I think that's why it deserves a spot in any gearhead's garage.

Side note: I had a couple of pictures to upload but embarrassingly can't seem to figure out how... I click the image button and "select file" off of my computer but then an exclamation point comes up with the file and it doesn't allow me to upload. Sorry for this but.. help!?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Bulls, it's giving you the exclamation point because your files are too big.

Go to TinyPic.com and upload your photo, then copy the IMG code shown and paste it here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bulls, it's giving you the exclamation point because your files are too big.

Go to TinyPic.com and upload your photo, then copy the IMG code shown and paste it here.
Awesome, thanks for the help. Here are the picture's that I was trying to upload earlier. Still completely stock but was ordered from the factory with the blacked out grill!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm on my third Aston, being the V12V (first a 4.3 V8V, then a V8VS). The V12 engine has been solid and reliable, especially as its used in pretty much all other Astons. I still have another year of warranty for added comfort, so I plan on stacking the miles come 2014 (currently averaging 5k miles/year). I've pondered daily'ing the car, but with how low I am on my suspension, it would be a challenge. Being out in Southern California, our winters are sunny days with 70-degree weather, so I've been able to use the car anytime I please.

Honestly (and I'm biased), not many cars are this rare, exclusive and feel "special" like the Aston, especially a V12V. With everything changing in the car industry, if you can hold onto a V12, 6-speed manual, it will be a thing of the past. Best of luck with your search!

This is awesome

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I just picked up a V12VS and I am absolutely amazed with this car. All the purists, even myself, love manuals. But there is little compromise in this paddle shifter. The car can be driven very comfortably for daily driving and with the push of the Sport button: throttle responsiveness is increased, quicker steering feel, louder exhaust and the car is Alive, raw and visceral.
I highly recommend it!

Sent from my CGT

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts