Luxury4Play.com banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for all the insight brother, much appreciated. I've been out the game for a minute (pun intended), so I'm not as up-to-date on all the gear as I used to be. Thank you for the clarification, because I did indeed believe these were pretty serious skates. Too many X's haha!

Though, I have to think these as an entry-level skate would probably still be lighter and better than my Graf 705s which I would assume are antiquated and outdated dinosaurs by now. Can you tell I am Czech and was a Jagr fan?
:D
Ha. No problem- Your 705s are still very nice skates even though they aren't the lightest. All of those entry level skates are absolute junk- technology never passes down to them. Just crap.

Anyway, if you PM me with your budget/size I can find you some deals if you'd like.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Ha. No problem- Your 705s are still very nice skates even though they aren't the lightest. All of those entry level skates are absolute junk- technology never passes down to them. Just crap.

Anyway, if you PM me with your budget/size I can find you some deals if you'd like.
That's mighty kind of you, much obliged! I suppose I should really stop being a gear slut especially since my competitive days are long since done. The 705s were great back in their day, I highly doubt I'd notice a significant improvement now (as much as the idea of new skates appeals to me haha).
:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sadly I grew up in a place completely ignorant to hockey. I love how physical it is and would have loved to played. Only a few games of street hockey under my belt as of yet.

·
Registered
765 Posts
That's mighty kind of you, much obliged! I suppose I should really stop being a gear slut especially since my competitive days are long since done. The 705s were great back in their day, I highly doubt I'd notice a significant improvement now (as much as the idea of new skates appeals to me haha).
:)
The only difference you'll notice will be in the feel between skate brands. Technology has not changed much over recent years, regardless of what marketing makes you think. I felt the need to upgrade from my Bauer 8090s i bought new because I though they were outdated. I ended up in a pair of Vapor 7.0s that are not any lighter or vastly superior. The only difference is the general feel between Supreme and Vapor skates.

That said, one piece of equipment you should not skimp on is skates. If you're used to playing at a higher level and stiffer skate, there is no way you'll be able to function with entry level skates. They are way too soft for skilled players.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
The only difference you'll notice will be in the feel between skate brands. Technology has not changed much over recent years, regardless of what marketing makes you think. I felt the need to upgrade from my Bauer 8090s i bought new because I though they were outdated. I ended up in a pair of Vapor 7.0s that are not any lighter or vastly superior. The only difference is the general feel between Supreme and Vapor skates.

That said, one piece of equipment you should not skimp on is skates. If you're used to playing at a higher level and stiffer skate, there is no way you'll be able to function with entry level skates. They are way too soft for skilled players.
Awesome, thanks for the helpful feedback man! The 705 was a pretty serious set-up in its day, and it is definitely stiff. I read up on the differences between Bauer Supreme and Vapor, and just as you wrote, it seems the Vapor is intended as a more flexible boot for agility skaters while the Supreme is intended as a stiffer boot for power skaters.

I used to be much heavier during my competitive days, so at the time a stiff skate suited my playing style well. Now that I'm of slighter build and only playing recreationally, I thought the Vapor might be more suitable. I've never tried one on though, truth be told. I guess I'll take a ride over to my LHS and see what they have in stock for me to try.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Grafs were always my favorite skates. Wanted to cut my feet off during the break in on them though. Still rocking my custom made 952 Skates if I play LoL..

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Grafs were always my favorite skates. Wanted to cut my feet off during the break in on them though. Still rocking my custom made 952 Skates if I play LoL..
I like Grafs a lot too, but only with TUUK holders, the Cobra holders pitched me forward too much. Apparently CCM is releasing new TACKS this summer...

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
My coach shared that on FB, very good read.

Also, did anyone see this? Pretty lame. Back in the day, we made it to the State Championship and lost in the 5th overtime. Man did that suck, but you know what would have sucked worse? Tying.

After 7 OTs, Ohio teams agree to share state hockey title over safety concerns

St. Ignatius and Sylvania Northview battled through regulation in their Ohio High School Athletic Association state championship game on Saturday.

Then they battled in overtime. And another overtime. And another and another and another and another and another, until the teams and OHSAA administrators came to a mutual, controversial decision: The game would end in a 1-1 tie after the seventh extra session and the schools would be crowned co-state champions, due to concerns over player safety.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I played as a kid, then took close to a 20 year hiatus. I bought all new gear a little while back and just play on the outdoor rinks in the winter. I also started playing some shinny at my local rec center which is a ton of fun. Great exercise too! :)

I like Grafs a lot too, but only with TUUK holders, the Cobra holders pitched me forward too much. Apparently CCM is releasing new TACKS this summer...

Speaking of new skates....these look pretty cool!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I play twice a week in Lakewood, CA in the adult league on two different teams. No sport on this planet compares to it. I will play until it is physically impossible for me to play.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I play twice a week in Lakewood, CA in the adult league on two different teams. No sport on this planet compares to it. I will play until it is physically impossible for me to play.
Nice, there is a guy in a lower level of our league who appears to be about 70! Still gets out there every week and goes hard.

I played as a kid, then took close to a 20 year hiatus. I bought all new gear a little while back and just play on the outdoor rinks in the winter. I also started playing some shinny at my local rec center which is a ton of fun. Great exercise too! :)

Speaking of new skates....these look pretty cool!
Glad that you came back to the game after 20 years. My dad did the same thing, stopped playing after high school and started again at 40.

Also those Bayer OD1N skates were developed as a special line for the Olympics for a few high profile players, they'll never hit retail though. Very cool, however.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts