Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, who here plays puck? I figure there is a probably a decent amount of hockey players here since most of us are pretty privileged.

I started playing when I as 5, played through high school (peak of my career :lol:) and now I play mens league with my dad on a team that he started years back.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Yep! Been playing for the last 11 years. Player and co-founder of one of NC's bigger youth hockey organizations. Best sport on earth.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Use to play. Started when I was in 7th grade and played through my senior year in high school. I had a hell of a high school career, it was fun. Haven't touched my skates in 5 years though.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Started playing in mites and got burned out halfway through highschool. I continued to play but my heart wasn't in it. I just wanted to play with cars and girls all day.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Youth Travel, High School, AA, AAA, College, and now a few beer leagues and some adult travel teams....

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've played for 27 years.... and now been coaching kids for about 12

It is the greatest sport - too bad the NHL is a terrible representation of it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The NHL is the only professional sports league worth watching imo here in the states. Players work insanely hard with games sometimes twice a week. Players are usually playing with injuries. The athletes rarely complain or seek the media lime light. I understand we could argue the fighting and physical style of play may take away from the sport compared to the European leagues others may argue it adds to the experience. Over all I think the NHL is still unlike any other professional sports league we have here in the states. This is all strictly my opinion so I don't mean to get anyone fired up. Regardless I can't wait to see USA play Canada tomorow afternoon.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Fighting and physical play doesn't take away from the game. It has been present in the game since the day the NHL started. It's part of the game.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The NHL is the only professional sports league worth watching imo here in the states. Players work insanely hard with games sometimes twice a week. Players are usually playing with injuries. The athletes rarely complain or seek the media lime light. I understand we could argue the fighting and physical style of play may take away from the sport compared to the European leagues others may argue it adds to the experience. Over all I think the NHL is still unlike any other professional sports league we have here in the states. This is all strictly my opinion so I don't mean to get anyone fired up. Regardless I can't wait to see USA play Canada tomorow afternoon.
I agree.

I also believe you can take any NHL player and they could hold their own in a game of baseball or basketball or football. Take someone from the NFL and get them to try to play hockey...NOT happening.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree that NHL hockey is the best representation of a sport out of any professional league- what's not to like? Next closest would be the NFL.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The reason I don't like the NHL is because when I show up to the rink to coach my 11 yr olds, I have un-teach 2/3 of the crap they see on TV. I agree, the players in the NHL are remarkable, and as a pretty good hockey player myself, the speed at which they move/shoot/react is mind boggling.
But... the crap after the whistle, the lack of respect for one another etc doesn't do it for me or what I believe any sport should be.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
It's not a lack of respect, it's competitiveness/testosterone/anger/etc/etc/etc. Fighting is part of the game. You can't expect people out on the ice to hit each other on the ass after every whistle and say good shift. Obviously it's different at the youth level, but juniors/college/pro, good luck.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hitting is a part of the game but nothing is worse than a cheap hit. If it's clean, it's fair game. Also, I hate the people that think hockey is only fighting. I just shake my head when they say that.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Agreed. I can't stand it, "Come on! I want to see a fight! I only came for the fights!" Gahh bugger off. It's PART of the game, not THE game.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hitting is a part of the game but nothing is worse than a cheap hit. If it's clean, it's fair game. Also, I hate the people that think hockey is only fighting. I just shake my head when they say that.
Combination of good playing and a physical game that make a really exciting game.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The reason I don't like the NHL is because when I show up to the rink to coach my 11 yr olds, I have un-teach 2/3 of the crap they see on TV. I agree, the players in the NHL are remarkable, and as a pretty good hockey player myself, the speed at which they move/shoot/react is mind boggling.
But... the crap after the whistle, the lack of respect for one another etc doesn't do it for me or what I believe any sport should be.
I don't think it's a lack of respect. In fact I think most players have a great respect for each other and for the game. But I understand what you mean about un-teaching the kids.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts