Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Are there any 225s currently being used as commercial passenger aviation? That would be awesome.

225 in 2012 ftw as well...

"It's Russian"

·
Banned
21 Posts
There is currently only one of these things in flying condition. At least that was the case a couple of years ago.

They are generally used for VERY outsized cargo.

I've seen the AN-124 in person at Boeing Field in Seattle, but never the AN-225.

It is a bit scary when you compare the Russian engineering with ours. I work at Boeing and see big planes every day, but the Antonovs are on an even BIGGER scale than the ones we build.

·
Registered
729 Posts
the gumball people moved our cars around the globe using antonovs the year I did it

·
Registered
12 Posts
they are actually quite old, created as a military cargo plane for carting tanks and choppers. And ;) yes, they are Absolutely Massive! they weight in just under 300 tons.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah the AN-225 is an old dog. Besides the sheer size and capacity, that landing gear is completely insane!

·
Sponsor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the gear is pretty impressive. The US C5A has a similar arrangement, but is a smaller "heavy lifter" and has fewer wheel sets. The Antanov 124 (smaller 4 engine brother to the 225) is also layed out very similar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts