Luxury4Play.com banner

Another humidor thread

7K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  FerrariFanboy 
#1 ·
Looking to purchase my first humidor. Don't mind paying some extra money for something that will last (a lifetime?)

Something classic looking, don't need a huge count, 30-50 capacity. Hard to find brands in my research, just came across Tampa Humidors-- no idea.

TIA

#3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I was reading an article on Savoy in CA, and they said they come with their own humidification system, no sponges and distiller water. Is this alright or better than a sponge system?

Also, anything special to keep in kind with regards to seasoning?

#5 ·
I personally would not use the sponge that comes with most humidors as it is a breeding ground for mold and not very good at maintaining constant humidty. I have 4 72% boveda packs in my 100 count, a shot glass of water, and a hygrometer. That's it. $15 every 3 months plus $18 up front for the hygrometer.

Other good option is heartfelt beads (amazon) or buying a humidification system with fans and the whole nine yards.

Pick your poison.

#8 ·
#9 ·
since you are new, and it is your first humidor.

Take a look at this site.

CheapHumidors.com - Medium Cigar Humidors for Sale

Nothing but positive reviews.

Now some extra notes. Get one that is solid, meaning no plexi or hygrometer on the outside. They are normally inaccurate anyways.

Make sure you order yourself a nice calabri digital hygrometer.

And make sure you season it properly! The key to a successful humidor is the seasoning.

#10 ·
Never wanted a clear top or hygrometer for those reasons either, keep it as pure as possible to avoid inaccurate readings and uneven humidity levels.

Seasoning makes me nervous, heard some bad stories about ruining humis with too much water during the seasoning process.

#12 ·
While I have some knowledgeable people in here, do you have any suggestions for purchasing reputable cigars online? Looking to purchase some Padron 2000, 2-3 cases. Local shop, granted the only one I've checked so far, would only go as low as $8 a stick. I see them for cheaper online, but many of the retailers i've found have bad reputations if you do some due diligence.

#13 ·
I've bought from both Cigars International and Famous Smoke in the past with good luck. I had damaged cigars only once with CI and they replaced the whole bundle for free and told me to keep the damaged ones. Cigarbid.com is owned by cigars international and typically has way better deals if you're patient.

If you go the Famous Smoke route, you can use coupon code "RCIGARS" for 15% off your entire order. That works out to be $4.42 a stick with free shipping.

#15 · (Edited)
Want to keep the thread updated for future lookers.

My fiance gifted me a Prometheus Milano series for V-Day (Prometheus International, Inc. - Home Page). I just un-boxed it, and I'm already impressed with the presentation. Brand has solid reviews online (only complaints I heard were price), and I'm looking forward to using it.

Going to season it with the Boveda seasoning kit. Prometheus comes with a "Hygro-thermometer", which I'll be using to measure the humidity levels. Prometheus issues a "Optima Humidifier" with each of its set-ups; a solution to be combined with distilled water in a foam square, released in its magnetic case. However, I'm going to try and maintain the humidity with Boveda packs because of the low maintenance factor.

I'll be sure to post some pics when I do set everything up.

Reactions: WIEisME
#18 ·
In my experience the boveda packs hold around 2% less than what they say. My box hovers around 69-70 with 3 72 packs in it.
Good to know. I ordered the Boveda seasoning kit and 69% packs (Prometheus recommends humidity level at 68-70). If the 69% pack doesn't hold at that level I'll order the 72 in the future.

#21 ·
I'm going this myself. Please tell me if I should have just bought the calibration kit.

Put the seasoning packs in a large zip lock bag (freezer). Will check in 36 hours to get the +/- RH reading, meaning it should read 82, and whatever it does say is the +/- future reference.

#23 ·
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how are you going to find time to do it right the second time? Ordering the kit now.

The question now, having opened and placed the seasoning packets (2 as per boveda's instructions), do I remove the seasoning packets and toss them? Or leave them in for the requisite 14 days w/o the hygrometer, placing it in once calibrated?

#25 · (Edited)
Got the kit, reading puts it -2% Boveda indicator. Regardless if this is the Boveda or hygrometer, its good to know.

Thanks for all the help guys, seasoning should be done it another week, and then it's time to accumulate some nice sticks!

I can split the humi into 3 sections, does anyone have suggestions for splitting stick ups or does it not matter how they stack next to eachother?

#27 ·
try these guys

I built a walk-in humidor in my home. I went to Vigilant Humidors out of NH and bought their biggest humidifier called the Guardian 500. It has worked great for me with zero issues in the last 3 years. It is an active system and holds nearly 6 gallons of distilled water. So when I leave for a week or two on vacation, my stash is still safe.

check them out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.