Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm replacing my garage doors and I'm interested in angling them (see examples). Has anyone done this? Pics would be great. I'm thinking I may run into a problem with the installer as they might say this is too dangerous due to the fact that the door will never be "untensioned." (a regular door is safer when it's up because it is parallel to the floor and there is no risk of slamming shut)

View attachment 35752
View attachment 35753
its no problem. use idrive by wayne dalton for more clearance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have on my extra tall single door and also on two cars doors... no problem. I try to order from Home Depot but would take too long... so I call a local garage door installer and they order and install for me in few weeks. Sounds they do all the time ... no big deal.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
its no problem. use idrive by wayne dalton for more clearance.
That could be the worst opener ever made. I replace those every week. Wayne Dalton is prettymuch the most low budget brand in the door game. There "insulated doors" are pressed cardboard... really.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I'm replacing my garage doors and I'm interested in angling them (see examples). Has anyone done this? Pics would be great. I'm thinking I may run into a problem with the installer as they might say this is too dangerous due to the fact that the door will never be "untensioned." (a regular door is safer when it's up because it is parallel to the floor and there is no risk of slamming shut)

While not common, it is very doable. You will need to call a Specialized Garage Door company since its more then a simple standard job.

Explain what you are looking for, and they can get you the tracks to fit. Then its just a matter of them matching up the proper highlift cable-drums, and proper spring to balance it (most springs are fully discharged when open as all the weight is in the horizontal tracks)

As for an opener, just get a good Jackshaft opener, and you wont have to worry about anything dropping etc. Keep in mind, most commercial jobs are full vertical, and they never have a problem if setup properly

·
Registered
25 Posts
That could be the worst opener ever made. I replace those every week. Wayne Dalton is prettymuch the most low budget brand in the door game. There "insulated doors" are pressed cardboard... really.

i have used these openers for 5 years with no problems. i dont have the cheap doors

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
i have used these openers for 5 years with no problems. i dont have the cheap doors
5 years isn't much to brag about. I'll put it this way, where I live, we have one of the largest temperature swings in North america, so pretty much the hardest working conditions for garage doors and openers. Out here, Chamberlain openers still last 20+ years, Wayne Daltons last 3-4 (assuming you get one of the 50% that has a circuit board that didn't burn out randomly in the first couple year)

for stable weather, stable shifting, light weight doors, casual use, and good luck, they may last, but for the other 99%, there are WAY better options out there

·
Registered
25 Posts
5 years isn't much to brag about. I'll put it this way, where I live, we have one of the largest temperature swings in North america, so pretty much the hardest working conditions for garage doors and openers. Out here, Chamberlain openers still last 20+ years, Wayne Daltons last 3-4 (assuming you get one of the 50% that has a circuit board that didn't burn out randomly in the first couple year)

for stable weather, stable shifting, light weight doors, casual use, and good luck, they may last, but for the other 99%, there are WAY better options out there
I'm in canada, so 90 degrees in the summer,negative 20 in winter. No problems so far but interesting to hear your info. My doors are heavy insulated ones too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts