Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mostly a reader here, but I am stepping up my game and what a better place for advice than L4P? I always wanted a 911 before I turned 30, so with only one year left I went looking for one. and I found a Ferrari instead. The 991 are just so ridiculously overpriced here in Europe (130k Euros for a decent spec'd 911 2S) and the 599 took such a hit in value during the last year that a Ferrari made more sense. it is just more car than a 911, and it just so much more of an experience, every single time I see it. it kind of blends together my father two previous cars (a F430 and a DB9), and behave like a giant bmw z4 (my previous car), so what's not love?
So if I actually go through with it (I am like 90% set on this one ) I'll get a black / red 599GTB with around 18K miles, with ceramic breaks, but without the Scuderia shield. So a few questions:
Is the fact that the color / wheels combo is not very common (personally I like it very much) hurting the resale value?
Shall I stretch my budget and get a HGTE (the one I think about is quite more expansive, and I think a bit dull in Grigio Silverstone over black)?
Is there a way, any way, to retrofit a cruise control? (Yes, I know, Ferrari, driver car etc etc... but I live in France where speed limits are enforced and getting lower by the minute, and I often work in Germany where I drive over 120 Mph every chance I get, so when I am back home it is hard to keep my right foot under control)
Well here the pics at the dealership, and thanks in advance for any advices :bow1:
img4244gd.jpg img4246gd.jpg

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I hate to give you such shallow advice but only you can decide if you really, REALLY need cruise control.

I think the 599 is an awesome car and I have never seen one in that black/red combo. It's sinister!!!

A few articles relative to your topic...

Chris Harris' Pro 599 vid:

Chris Harris sold his 599 article:
Ferrari 599 GTB: PH Fleet - PistonHeads

It seems that there was nothing but thrills in the driving department but maintenance costs sound a bit steep.
Good luck with your decision and keep us informed!

Reactions: Babylegg6.0L

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I saw the video, was actually right along my line of thoughts.....the article, not so much :eek:hwell: . Well the car i am looking at had everything done at Ferrari Luxembourg a few weeks ago. (Don't know the detail yet, but apparently it is the service metionned in the article). The other expenses are not that bad (Chris Harris probably goes through tires much more quickly than I ever will, specially if he daily drived his), and the insurance is actually lower than what my dad is paying for a DB9 (couldn't believe it either).
The 991 would make much more sense, but it just doesn't give the same aura when you walk up to it. On the other hands, road are going to be limited to 80 Kph here very soon, and i don't feel the 599 under rain or snow (from october through march), while I used to take a Porsche every single day a few years ago.
The cruise crontrol..; yeah I really want it, I am so used to it by now...but the 599 would be only doing week end drive to the city, the long trip would only be 2 _ 3 vacations. I can always go to Italy instead of France, through Germany and Swiss. They could take my money, but not my driving license itself :whistle:
The shields absence IS bothering me, but not so much that I would ditch the car entirely. I am convincing myself that the previous owner had a vision for a cleaner look when he ordered it...Maybe if i get the 599 I ll get carbon wheel cap to totally ban yellow from the exterior. And when I got my hands on 300K of cash, I will make sure that I get the shields on my F12 :lol: I thought briefly about a 997 T, which is a sensational car in every aspect, but I would rather have a newer 991 and enjoy the technological advance of the current generation (cooled seats hehe). I don't know how to say it but I am willing to trade either full comfort and luxury of the 991 (cooled seats and ACC) or the cool factor of the 599, but not an intermediate step. Plus I don't know how long I will keep the new car, and even so I love Porsche, I think Ferrari keep the supercar quality longer, design wise. My father had a 996TT that was the only car I could use when I got my license for 6 months, and at the time I really disliked the 360 design. But today I would rather have a Modena than a 996. Anyway am going to see the 599 again this Week End, and go to the porsche dealership after that. BUt I could definitely see the 599 in my driveway

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Yes I saw the video, was actually right along my line of thoughts.....the article, not so much :eek:hwell: . Well the car i am looking at had everything done at Ferrari Luxembourg a few weeks ago. (Don't know the detail yet, but apparently it is the service metionned in the article). The other expenses are not that bad (Chris Harris probably goes through tires much more quickly than I ever will, specially if he daily drived his), and the insurance is actually lower than what my dad is paying for a DB9 (couldn't believe it either).
The 991 would make much more sense, but it just doesn't give the same aura when you walk up to it. On the other hands, road are going to be limited to 80 Kph here very soon, and i don't feel the 599 under rain or snow (from october through march), while I used to take a Porsche every single day a few years ago.
The cruise crontrol..; yeah I really want it, I am so used to it by now...but the 599 would be only doing week end drive to the city, the long trip would only be 2 _ 3 vacations. I can always go to Italy instead of France, through Germany and Swiss. They could take my money, but not my driving license itself :whistle:
The shields absence IS bothering me, but not so much that I would ditch the car entirely. I am convincing myself that the previous owner had a vision for a cleaner look when he ordered it...Maybe if i get the 599 I ll get carbon wheel cap to totally ban yellow from the exterior. And when I got my hands on 300K of cash, I will make sure that I get the shields on my F12 :lol: I thought briefly about a 997 T, which is a sensational car in every aspect, but I would rather have a newer 991 and enjoy the technological advance of the current generation (cooled seats hehe). I don't know how to say it but I am willing to trade either full comfort and luxury of the 991 (cooled seats and ACC) or the cool factor of the 599, but not an intermediate step. Plus I don't know how long I will keep the new car, and even so I love Porsche, I think Ferrari keep the supercar quality longer, design wise. My father had a 996TT that was the only car I could use when I got my license for 6 months, and at the time I really disliked the 360 design. But today I would rather have a Modena than a 996. Anyway am going to see the 599 again this Week End, and go to the porsche dealership after that. BUt I could definitely see the 599 in my driveway
Well, I see that you're giving both options very deep thought. That's good and when you eventually make your final decision, you'll have no doubt that you made the correct choice.

You're absolutely right about, the 599 is definitely a more "special" car than the 991. I see 991s on a daily basis around here (which I also love), they do not warrant the head-turning reflex of a 599.
I say go for it!

Reactions: JED

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have always been a fan of shields vs no shields on a Ferrari, but I can honestly say that this car looks better without the shields in my opinion. Good luck with your decision! I think the Ferrari is a home run

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know brake jobs on Ferrari ceramics are a pretty penny, correct? Wouldn't want to see you spending $7-10k+ to get them replaced...

Just my input.
Yes I am aware of that. Around 6K Euros here in Europe. They are supposed to do 30k miles before needing replacement, from what I gather? The owner never brought it to a track, so only "normal" road use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, since it is the first time I buy an exotic for myself, I dont want to do any mistakes. I had the car on loan for a week end, and it is everything I expected it to be, and then more. I am excited to have such a car and at the same time afraid it is too much and not reasonable.
But honestly, I would rather make a mistake and have a Ferrari, than regretting not having one.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The dealership loaned you the Ferrari for an entire week?

Hope you go through with it, I am a huge fan of the GTB. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealership loaned you the Ferrari for an entire week?

Hope you go through with it, I am a huge fan of the GTB. :)
Ha I wish! Nope, just a weekend. I mistyped that. Well it is looking good for the 599.

Reactions: Sketch
1 - 17 of 17 Posts