Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't know about an all tile bathtub but my parents have an all tile shower. I'm sure it could be done but I doubt it would be comfortable to sit in/ relax in.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
sure it can be done, I've seen it several times, it will be super difficult to do curves in it through, you would most likely end up w/ all square angles/corners, I suspect you would have to do a full pan (similar to shower floors) as well

For reference I know Moby had one in his house when they filmed Cribs....can't seem to find a pic

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not worried about the comfort factor or jets etc. This is for a spare bathroom, and I really don't want to buy another tub when I can just tile the whole damn thing..

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
You want to tile an existing tub? I'd think it could be done but you will need small tiles. That would take a long time. For the time and money i'd just throw a liner over your existing tub or have it re glazed.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You want to tile an existing tub? I'd think it could be done but you will need small tiles. That would take a long time. For the time and money i'd just throw a liner over your existing tub or have it re glazed.
No No.. Create a whole new tub. Frame it up, and tile it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yup it can be done, I have seen many super cool bathtub installs, well my dad is a plumber so its a daily business!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my tile man is telling me it's quite expensive. About $8k vs a $600 cast iron tub.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, it'll be much more labour intensive then just slaping a tub in. Go to Johnbridge.com and search for "roman tub" in the forums. You'll need a special drain and all that.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yup I was about to tell you the same thing. It's going to cost you quite a bit more to do a tile tub (properly) than to just buy one.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't realize how much more intensive it was as I was just equating to a shower pan floor. But I guess since a tub will hold water there are few more things to consider.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For sure don't want any leaks. That is what lead to my last shower re-do.. haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts