Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Panerai 329's bracelet has started to squeak on my wrist. I'm assuming that I've washed the oils out of the band. Everything works great and it just started to make noise yesterday afternoon. It's still under factory warranty from an AD. Yet I hate to have others touch my watch and the thought of sending it off... FT.
So I ask, can I spray the band with some deep creep penetrating oil? WD40? What should I do?
Thanks Gentleman, Todd

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
I'm assuming your watch has a rubber strap?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Has to be a steel bracelet to be squeaking. You should get some watch oil lithium based.

·
Registered
379 Posts
squeak

Cartier and likely others make a clean/polish kit that you let sit a while before polishing. I have used it on my steel bracelets and it not only cleans well, but seems to lubricate them as well.

good luck

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

I was also told the Cartier polishing cloth from my jeweler's customer service rep. She said her Rolex did the same thing and that the Cartier cloth fixed the squeak. So I decided to go to the Rolex forum to see if there was others. There was several threads were Rolex's bands squeak. It seemed the general consensus was to wear the watch and your body's oil will get into the grooves of the band and it will stop squeaking. Moreover, wear it daily so that the band can break in because this could be the cause also. I've never done either of those things. Since I bought the 329 I've worn leather straps. Then I got the 359 and I then decided to use the 329's metal bracelet.

My jeweler's tech said windex or mineral oil. Almost feel out of my chair when he said windex. It was the easiest fix (what I had available) so I tried it first and it worked. I never knew windex has lubricating properties.

On another note I never knew WD40 was basically diesel fuel. Also I was using Dawn soap to wash my watches. Dawn does cut grease/oil very well... lesson learned.

I learned a few things and maybe this will help others if they have the same problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts