Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie. I'm looking to buy a Audi or BMW possibly. How much maintenance do these cars actually cost? Coming from owning a older lexus ES300 (1995) i would like to invest in another luxury car. The lexus treated me very well. Rarely anything went wrong with it. Do audi's have a lot of problems? will they last a long time? Or are they just another money pit..

Thank you

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Welcome to the 4, what kind of Audi are you looking to buy?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think with older luxury cars such as BMW 7 series or Audi A8 you should always expect minor and major defects. If a lot of technology is inside, unfortunately a lot can be broken. Not for nothing this models are often very cheap as a used car.
Perhaps German manufacturers are slightly better than Asian, but do not expect miracles

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My family has had about 1/2m worth of bmws in the last 10yrs. Almost zero issues in a combined 300k miles or so. Just oil changes and blissful driving. Brakes are where bmw kills you, DIY for 1/10th the price, literally.

That said I just picked up the new GS350F lexus and im pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
The only thing keeping me from buying older german cars is the cost of parts. I don't have any first hand experience with the cost of maintenance but I'd much rather something go wrong on one of my American cars then on a German one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Possibly an A4. What years should i look for? I mean if a lot of things are going wrong with these cars. I would probably stay away. I would think for the price that they rarely would have problems. Maybe i'm wrong to think that

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
If you're looking at buying a used one...goto your local dealer and look at the CPO ones. Or if you have already found one a private party one for sale...have a certified mechanic take a look over it. All the german cars can potentially be a pain in the ass depending on who the last owners were. They are full of technology that if toyed with could snowball into many issues. As with any car, Audi's are free of issues.....every car has their quirks its just recognizing what they are, the costs involved and being OK with all of that. Personally, I wouldn't buy another used Audi unless is was a newer CPO. Once things start to deteriorate on them, they start to get pretty expensive.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm a newbie. I'm looking to buy a Audi or BMW possibly. How much maintenance do these cars actually cost? Coming from owning a older lexus ES300 (1995) i would like to invest in another luxury car. The lexus treated me very well. Rarely anything went wrong with it. Do audi's have a lot of problems? will they last a long time? Or are they just another money pit..

Thank you

Your best bet is going to be a 2008 and up Audi S4 with the 340HP 4.2L V8. The 2010 model comes with a 3.2L V6 the puts out 333HP, has a top speed of 155mph and gets respectable mpg's.

As a former BMW and Volkswagen owner German auto parts are considerably more expensive than Japanese. German cars are also a pain in the ass to work on because everything is METRIC. Sorry but I friggin' HATE metric tools. Your best bet is to stay away from dealerships when it comes time for any maintenance. Find a good independent German auto friendly garage. German cars don't like to be neglected so, routine maintenance is a must. In my opinion BOSCH parts aren't any better than anything else you can get your hands on especially if you do your own routine maintenance.

I would stay away from private owners unless they have maintenance records and you have thoroughly checked the car out with a good mechanic. Then again people that have taken good care of a car will want more money. Buy used from a good dealership. Preferably a dealership that has a good reputation for handing out loaner cars in case you need major work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
20,000. Like 2010 with 60k or so..Do these go to 200k? Like how much money am i really looking putting into these? I have rarely put money into my lexus, it just runs good. That's what i'm looking for in my next car

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
With the other thread named the same but with BMW instead of Audi, I would guess that you are troll.

Also (I will be a dick) but if you are seriously inquiring about buying a used BMW or Audi, why come on to L4P with your first post asking what to buy? With THOUSANDS of reviews out there with the relative ease through a google search your answer could have been found in great detail.

Good luck with your imaginary car purchase.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha not at all man. I'm interested in both BMW and Audi that why i asked in both. I was recommended from a buddy to ask for advice on this site. I get quick replies when i ask questions which is really nice. I would rather ask on forums about these questions than search customer reviews. I'm sure i'll end up doing both though

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Finally someone coming on here with a realistic amount of money to spend. with 20k the world is your oyster.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I have rarely put money into my lexus, it just runs good. That's what i'm looking for in my next car
Without being too much of an ass: look elsewhere, seriously.

BMW gets "free maintenance", but I'm sure they build it into the price. Audi provides Audi care for I believe the first 4 visits at about $750 - get the dealer to throw it in.

And any car is a "money pit", it just varies from a Yaris to a F430.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts