Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured since I just typed this up for another thread, even though I'm a couple weeks late on it - for those who want to hear what happened from the horses ass, I mean mouth, here it is...

SEMA has contractual agreements with some hotels as to avoid having guests create this kind of "private" display. SEMA feels that by doing this we're actually drawing traffic away from the show and into another venue but in reality it's obviously not the case - no one is flying out to Vegas for the SEMA show and then deciding to go to our hotel suite instead. I think the bigger issue is they don't want displaying SEMA members to do this instead of displaying at the SEMA show which is totally understandable. ADV.1 is a SEMA member and as many of you know we displayed inside the Wheel hall last year which was a huge investment so I understand why they have a need to control this type of thing. The issue for us is, the booth display was great and it's an amazing way to expose the product line to a huge amount of people, BUT we're not really there for that to be honest. We're there to meet with our existing clientele from all over the world and have quiet, productive, effective meetings with them to discuss future plans, improvements, etc. with them and the booth display, even though our conference table was upstairs it was counter productive in terms of what we primarily need to accomplish which is our meetings.

Regardless, the fact is - although I discussed this clearly with the hotel and with SEMA so that I could avoid any issues like this and abide by whatever rules and stipulations they require a SEMA member to follow, at the end of the day I'm booking $30k+ in hotel rooms with a "business / group sales hotel representative" who clearly told me what I wanted to hear and assured me that this was not an issue at all which was clearly a commission based decision and I should have known that. We invest thousands of dollars in this kind of thing, in fact the Hotel suite can absolutely be as much or more than the Sema display, so with that being said I take it very seriously, so much so that I flew to Vegas for a 1 day in and out trip months in advance to meet with the hotels, tour the suites and their business centers as to ensure that this exact situation would not be an issue. Unfortunately it was and I was contacted by SEMA on October 31st, only 3 days before check in and I was informed that our suite was cancelled entirely and we were not permitted to display our product or have our suite and standard rooms (staff) back UNLESS I AGREED TO BUY A BOOTH. So, 3 days before SEMA, at 5pm in the afternoon I'm forced to choose a booth location and organize some sort of display just to have the right to check in to our 10+ hotel suites that were booked. I obviously was a little frustrated but it was understandable, so I went online, chose a booth, paid for it and that was that, problem solved, hotel confirmed, everything is ok again.

SEMA was very clear as to what I needed to do which was not only set up a display of some kind but also have a human being man the booth throughout show hours. I was aware of this and planned to have one of the models handle the booth for me since it was a small booth in the middle of no where and not going get much traffic anyways. Had I done this everything would have been fine but the one thing I personally forgot to do was have one of the girls man the booth. 100% my fault entirely and they only needed 1 reason to do what they did and I gave it to them. In the end, lesson learned and regardless of SEMA banning us or not it doesn't matter - next year I know better and I'll be sure to do it right wherever it may be : ) Thankfully, all worked out - the ADV.1 team pulled the truck out, packed everything up and we simply moved to a new suite at the Aria Hotel, done. Within hours we were fully set up and operational again thanks to some major pull by our friend, partner and lover, Ted / ADV.1 Texas / EVS Motors. Suites aren't easy to find during SEMA week and more difficult to find one suitable for this with same day immediate check in, regardless of what were willing to pay - they're booked or reserved for certain guests only...Thanks to him, we turned a huge SEMA fail into our most productive and successful year to date.

Lesson learned :bow1:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
epic display

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The cost of exhibiting at almost any trade show is typically way more expensive than it should be, or needs to be. So many rules & regs, you need to use the union help to setup, etc. I'm surprised that SEMA has so much pull over the hotels, but I can believe your story. I can also sympathize how your creative alternative plans didn't quite work out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd say SEMA turned out fine for y'all. You still got what you were looking for, a private place to meet and greet. Despite the rub with SEMA regs- more attention has been drawn to you guys, which is considerably a good thing. After all, you guys 'are' the wheel industry :bow1:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd say SEMA turned out fine for y'all. You still got what you were looking for, a private place to meet and greet. Despite the rub with SEMA regs- more attention has been drawn to you guys, which is considerably a good thing. After all, you guys 'are' the wheel industry :bow1:
lol thank you - and yes, despite the issues we all MIH'd! (made it happen) and everything worked out fine, in fact I'd say it was our most successful SEMA to date in terms of productivity. We have some HUGE projects in the works right now for 2014 all resulting from some of the meetings we had this year. I'm excited, and honored to have the opportunity to be working with some of the biggest names in the Automotive Industry - truly a dream come true for myself and the team :bow1:

Jordan's pizza eating face the best picture of sema. LOL. Love the display came out sick!
you can see my true happiness in that pic lol, I hadn't eaten anything in 9 hours or something so a quick pizza break in between meetings was amazing!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts