Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to throw a few bucks at my 2006 A4 2.0T. Im thinking about an intake and a chip. Does anyone have any recommendations on brands or what else to do to get a few extra horsepower. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
As posted, generally the big two are APR and GIAC. APR tends to favor a slightly less aggressive tune than GIAC, so on occasion GIAC-chipped cars show a few more hp than APR programs.

As with any turbocharged car, the 2.0T really comes alive with "breathing" mods - high flow replacement filter or cone filter, upgraded intercooler and performance downpipe/exhaust.

Nice intake set-up:

APR Audi A4 (B7) 2.0T FSI Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake System

Nice exhausts:

AWE Tuning - Products

Audi A4 2.0 TFSI B7 quattro and DTM performance exhaust systems and high-flow sports catalysts

ATP really makes some awesome parts for VAG cars, and for less than $2k, you can get a 350hp upgraded K03. I would of course spend the extra money and just get their GT2871R kit, but that's me.

B7 Audi A4 2.0T FSI: atpturbo.com

Audi A4, 2.0T B7 Mild Turbo Conversion (350HP) K03 to Garrett (modified stock manifold/Turbine hsg): atpturbo.com

·
Registered
192 Posts
Air intake, turbo-back exhaust, and a chip. Those are the most basic modifications done to the 2.0 Turbo motors usually, and get some pretty good results depending on which companies you go through. I personally prefer Revo for my tuning needs, but everyone is different. :p

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Would recommend a high-efficiency/low-boost-drop FMIC. Helps keep those ponies more consistent when it's 110 deg. on the alphalt. APR has an excellent one which requires not cutting or drilling.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
intakes are pretty much useless on these cars...better off just getting a drop in high flow filter...imo turbo back exhaust combined with a chip are the best bang for your buck mods..
I kind of disagree about the intake. I don't know how a drop in high flow filter is compared to the CAI but I love the sound of the CAI, why I bought it...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I kind of disagree about the intake. I don't know how a drop in high flow filter is compared to the CAI but I love the sound of the CAI, why I bought it...
thats all it is, a noise maker. even stage 3 b5 s4's just run drop in filters...too much heat soak with the open element cone filters...the only reason most big turbo cars run cones is because the stock box doesnt fit...and that carbonio intake on page one actually decreases horsepower.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
^^^
Totally agree. I've talked to Neuspeed rep, and ABT and both have said that the stock airbox provides enough airflow for up to about 240HP. Even an article for a euro MTM airbox, fully enclosed filter, was offered for chipped cars. After 240HP, a well engineered cold air intake would be needed. The only thing I did with my air box was cut a circular 2" hole up front and routed a 2" hose to the lower-right area behind the grille for additional airflow. That was on a 98' VW Passat 1.8T.

If that's not enough to convice anyone, take a look at just about ANY high HP car, and you will find air "boxes".

In each years ALMS race at Laguna, I look at all these race cars and guess what? Airbox enclosures. That did it for me.

Heat soak appears to be a bigger enemy over some sound effects.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Thank you. I've been working on these cars for a long time.
I know what works and what doesn't. In order this it what I would do.
Suspension
brakes
chip+ drop in air filter
turbo back
that will set you up for later down the road.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
That's what's nice about the Carbonio set-up, though. It's not an open-element filter, but rather a high-flow composite airbox. Granted, the cheapest solution for a street car is a simple K&N drop-in panel filter and some DIY ducting or swiss cheese the lower half of the airbox.

Along with a high-flow replacement panel filter, a silicone turbo inlet hose is a great upgrade too for smooth air flow and to prevent collapsing under load.
:)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
That's what's nice about the Carbonio set-up, though. It's not an open-element filter, but rather a high-flow composite airbox. Granted, the cheapest solution for a street car is a simple K&N drop-in panel filter and some DIY ducting or swiss cheese the lower half of the airbox.

Along with a high-flow replacement panel filter, a silicone turbo inlet hose is a great upgrade too for smooth air flow and to prevent collapsing under load.
:)
Yeah silicone hoses are a nice touch. But that carbonio piece is junk. It looks good but shows a power loss on a dyno.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts