Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be intresting to hear some ridiculous inspection stories. I'll start.

I live in Portland, OR most of out projects are in Multnomah county which just had a huge reduction in staff. There business hours are a Joke!! 4days a week 8-12.

There is an inspector that works for the city,he's an old timer and is the biggest ass hole on planet earth!!! I have no issues with any other inspector except for his sorry ass...I mean if my guys miss something or do something stupid and I get called for it its ok I will fix it. but this guy has always failed me over the years for the stupidest things like today my plans got wet because it was raining. He writes "insp. not approved please dry plans" Where they readable yes is he an ass hole yes anyways I called his supervisor and vented a bit. Telling him that the city is short staffed and rolls inpections over all the time and this guy uses a city car to inspect a simple sheerwall inspection on a 1700sqft house but decides he does not want to get his fingers wet!!!and fails it.
HE IS A MONSTER!! sorry guys for making you read my poor grammer but I had to vent and your a great comminty!! always rep.. the 4!

I would love to hear your stories.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
We have similar stories here as well. There are some good inspectors and some bad ones here. The problem is they are low paid town employees, yet they have high power jobs. So since their pay doesn't give them their ego they use their power to inflate their ego. They like to make sure you know they are the one with all the power.

However we do get along with most of them here. Most are pretty good, and if you do your job correctly there are no problems. It helps us who know what we are doing stick out from those contractors that have no idea.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Honestly - you should of put a little more care into your job and protected the plans in a plastic carrier or some sort of bag... He basically called you, excuse the language, a dumbass. From your description, he doesn't really sound like a monster.

and if you do your job correctly there are no problems.
This.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly - you should of put a little more care into your job and protected the plans in a plastic carrier or some sort of bag... He basically called you, excuse the language, a dumbass. From your description, he doesn't really sound like a monster.

This.
I understand your point but a good example would be if a cop pulled you over for doing 56 in a 55! According to "CODE" or law I should say you where breaking it but does that seem like a fair call on the officers behalf or is he just being a dick?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I teach home inspections in New York. You would be surprised how many guys take this class that have no clue how to even change a simple light switch. Keep in mind, these are guys that are telling you what is right or wrong with the home you are either selling or buying! I am actually in the HVAC field, 95% of the guys taking this class have no concept of how a furnace/boiler actually works. The same guys are telling you whether your back up home generator is installed correctly as well....... So when it comes to getting a home inspection,,, don't go for the cheapest, and ALWAYS ask how long they have been doing inspections and you could ask for references!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
^--- different type of inspector. Thread was referencing building inspectors that check construction sites and make sure local codes/regulations are met before issuing a C/O

But yes the guys you are talking about are generally worthless. Most don't know what the he'll they're looking at.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Not in the the trade but when I helped my dad redo his house the inspector made him redo every single electrical fixture because his wiring was too long in the boxes...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry to hear you got stuck with that guy! I live in PDX too... hope I never have to deal with him! lol.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
On one of my last projects, a hospital in the bronx, i had some inspection issues. my company was subcontracted for the window replacement of heavy commercial traco windows. we were maybe 80% done with the job when the head of the hospital decided to open up a window -improperly. the sash hit her and she dropped it and broke the sash shoes. i think she wanted to sue us for not putting in the window properly, but we had to meet with inspectors for months and have hearings to prove it was her negligence and not ours. finally when we were told the window was properly installed, the hospital head had stopped funding the GC on another issue she had and we ended up losing money on the job :(.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I understand your point but a good example would be if a cop pulled you over for doing 56 in a 55! According to "CODE" or law I should say you where breaking it but does that seem like a fair call on the officers behalf or is he just being a dick?
LOL

That happened to my buddy he was going 67 in a 65. I couldn't stop laughing. Lol good times.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I live in Arizona, Dad used to be a senior project manager for a construction company out here.

Anyway, after moving into our new house, we had to put up some cmu walls and had to get some inspections for electrical and drainage/plumbing. I was only 14 at the time so didnt know much. But the guy that came to give our house the inspection happened to be a guy that my dad had fired at this construction company before going out on his own. Unfortunately there must've been a fued between my dad and this inspector and he ended up scrutinizing every nook and cranny and failed us. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts