Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting an open top for weekends. Love the new 981 Boxster but I have 3 kids and was thinking it'll be great to take the 2 elder ones around (5yr & 3yr).

Thus Im thinking of a 997 model cab (06~10yr) or be selfish and get the new boxster for the wife and me.

Any problems with the 997 I should be aware of?

The price range is similar, around 1mil HKD or USD128k. God how I hate Hong Kong tax...

·
Registered
469 Posts
+1 boxster

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Definitely 911

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Crazy, crazy coincidence!!

I just made two threads trying to choose the perfect gentleman's coupe. I have to tell you I've done extensive research on a Ferrari Maranello, Aston Marin DBS, DB9 Jaguar F-type and XKR, and the Porsche 996 and 997 turbo. Of all the cars listed the 997 Turbo Cabriolet will provide the most bang for your buck and be the least expensive to maintain in the field of european supercars. You have kids, so the 997 is a better choice without saying. The back seats are perfect for kids up to 12 years old, and you will get LOADS more pleasure out of a 997 Turbo over any Boxster of any year model, of any trim design.

ENGINE TYPE: twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve flat-6, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
Displacement: 220 cu in, 3600cc
Power (SAE net): 473 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 502 lb-ft @ 1950 rpm

TRANSMISSIONS: 5-speed automatic with manumatic shifting or 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 92.5 in Length: 175.6 in Width: 72.9 in Height: 51.6 in
Curb weight: 3400 lb

PERFORMANCE RATINGS (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph 3.6-3.7 sec
Standing ¼-mile 11.9-12.0 sec
Top speed (mfr's est, drag limited) 193 mph

PROJECTED FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
EPA city driving 15 mpg
EPA highway driving 22 mpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
test drove a boxster, awesome handling. But it is lacking in the ommph department.
I guess I will need to try a 997 before making any rash decisions.

Thx for the input guys!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
test drove a boxster, awesome handling. But it is lacking in the ommph department.
I guess I will need to try a 997 before making any rash decisions.

Thx for the input guys!
Test drove the Boxster too some years ago. Very much lacking to the point of disappointment five minutes down the road. Sounded like a 60's Volkswagen Beetle and had no punch whatsoever. The 997 Turbo on the other hand will snap your neck like Dick Butkus with a split personality. And you can still get about 22mpg's from that monster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts