Alright so this weekend I am going to be driving a 99 RT'10 Viper,
I've never driven a viper at all, and the car is stick. I can drive
well, I was just wondering if there is anything I should know about
the car, and driving it. Thanks a lot guys, and I am pretty sure
white out will help me on this one.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Be very careful getting on the throttle in a turn, it will step out VERY easily. I'm talking you ease into it in 3rd in a turn and it will want to move around.

Do not try to manhandle the car until you get a couple thousand miles under your belt, they are kinda quirky depending on the setup and as whiteout said, it will try to kill you every chance it gets.

That being said they are insanely easy cars to drive just cruising around, and more comfortable than you'll expect it to be.

You'll be torque drunk and from now on everything else will feel gutless. :D

If the tires are more than a couple years old, be extra super careful!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be very careful getting on the throttle in a turn, it will step out VERY easily. I'm talking you ease into it in 3rd in a turn and it will want to move around.

Do not try to manhandle the car until you get a couple thousand miles under your belt, they are kinda quirky depending on the setup and as whiteout said, it will try to kill you every chance it gets.

That being said they are insanely easy cars to drive just cruising around, and more comfortable than you'll expect it to be.

You'll be torque drunk and from now on everything else will feel gutless. :D

If the tires are more than a couple years old, be extra super careful!
there new tires, the only thing im really afraid of is actually that the car is no where near stock. it has about 30k of engine upgrades on it, and I know that I will loose control a few times.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
you can drift them to a point, but then it will just snap around on you without warning. The newer ones aren't quite as bad as the older ones. If you can drive, you wont have an issue, if you can't, and get greedy with power, it will rape you.

You say your driving a heavily modified viper? that changes EVERYTHING, and without specific mods/settings none of us can help. If you don't feel comfortable, don't stuff your foot to deep in it trying to be a hero. Nothing is worth getting killed

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
All I can say is just rolllll into the throttle, don't get brave and slam that thing down, it WILL bite.

How modified? blower/TT or just built N/A?

Any suspension work?

Roe Blower cars are nasty off idle, where the paxton and most newer TT cars are more tame and then just rip up top. Nothing like cruising along in 4th at freeway speeds, rolling into the throttle and just melting the tires up to 160mph. Nooo joke!

Around 900 rwhp will spin the tires in 3rd at will.

If it's a TT car they are actually very easy to drive, just keep it below 2500 rpm.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I hate saying this, I've had previous cars that made 730rwtq and never had problems, but for some reason the Vipers are very easy to upset even in stock form. Just be careful around corners and you'll be good.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
you can drift them to a point, but then it will just snap around on you without warning. The newer ones aren't quite as bad as the older ones. If you can drive, you wont have an issue, if you can't, and get greedy with power, it will rape you.
This is so true. Early this year I took a corner with a 'Subaru' line, expecting the tail to come out upon exit. Well, it did. So I powered into it and counter-steered, kept in it, all was well, then . . . I hit steering lock and the rear end was not going back in line. Ended up spinning it in the middle of the road.

When the tail comes out on these cars you need to either find a place to pilot the car to a stop, or be ready for a lot of work with a side of hopes, dreams, and pixie dust to pull it off. I keep a bag of pixie dust in the center compartment. :D

Also, the lower the PSI of the tires, the more traction you will have. I run 40psi so that I can feel the tires edge out when they are about to loose traction and I can make a decision at that point. Most people run 27-32psi.

Nick

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
enjoy it, and be careful, its a light rear end on the car. mad torque.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Are you driving this thing on the track or public roads ? 30k in mods on a Viper RT is a vehicle I would be a bit sketched to drive hard on public roads plus the fact that I am a horrible driver but get some pics curious to see how it goes. GL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts