Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new here. I just wanted to hear some thoughts about a 930 Slantnose I'm thinking of buying. It's a '88, guards red, in decently good condition (just needs a few plastic body panels and window motors), and has 63,000 miles. It is a local used car dealership and they want $14,000. I have a 997 Turbo, but want a project car and the 930 is what ignited my love of Turbos. What do you think?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, its a real Turbo. I believe it even has the optional sports package so 330 bhp instead of 300. Obviously it isn't in flawless condition, but the most expensive thing it would ever need is new paint and possibly a steering wheel, and that would be far down the road. The dealer is a friend of ours and apparently is selling the car for an older client who just wants to get rid of it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Even the coupes have been going for as much as 50k on resale for a true from factory slant nose...if it correct it will have a steel nose and the fins on the vents behind the door are wood if it is legit. If so buy buy buy buy buy buy. You can call Porsche USA to verify serials etc. all that were build were well documented if they were shipped or not. I found on a porsche forum that there were only something like 1300 turbos in the whole world made of the 930 variety and even less of the slant nose turbo. Don't quote me but I think I saw 400 or so as a number.

BTW this is one of my favorite porsches of all time....I saw one right around when I was going to college in a Hemmings Motor News and I don't think I slept for like 2 days thinking about that thing. Silver with Bourdeaux leather or Black with red interior please!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will definitely look into that. The dealer thinks it may be a gray-market car; however, it has full CA registration and all of its papers. Is that something I should be concerned with? And it would definitely take some time and money to get it pristine, but I don't mind. The 930 is such a classic. I've loved Turbos ever since I took my first ride in a 930.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
There was an episode of "Chasing Classic Cars" where the host describes what to look for to distinguish a factory slant nose from an aftermarket.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I worked at the Porsche dealership when these cars were new. So I can only suggest a couple of things. 1) make sure you have ALL the paperwork for the car especially if it is rumored to be a gray-market car. 2) ALL factory slantnose cars are steel no fiberglass or Kevlar or composite anywhere. There will be paperwor from Weisach to prove it. 3) Have a pre-purchase inspection done by the best 930 turbo expert you can find. The money spent on them will save heartbreak and remorse down the road. 4) If all the above have been checked in the affirmative box then enjoy the special 930 Slantnose.

IIRC, the slantnose option added about 50% to the price of the car when new. And some even had the 5-speed as an additional option for another 10% or so. Most 930's were 4-speeds up until the very end of production of that chassis series.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
man just buy it...even if its fake..for 14g...its not that bad a deal if its a turbo..
my dad has a reg 930 turbo with a bunch of stuff done to it....omg is that car fun to drive...I had a 996tt and it was nowhere near as fun as the 930. I drive it every chance I get...you wont regret it..

·
Registered
460 Posts
Agreed. My dad has a built 930 turbo as well. Even for 14k, you're still getting one hell of a fun car for a heck of a price. His cost much more than that....just do it :D

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
GET A PPI!!!!

these things can be a pain in the ASS to tune and get running, they also do NOT like to sit.....

it almost sounds "to good to be true" i would run the numbers, and look at all the paper work, then with a PPI more forward...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Like everyone said above, check the numbers. True slant noses are extremely rare and usually go for a lot more.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If you don't pick this up, would you mind forwarding me some more info?

If not, then you better enjoy the hell out of it!!!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
that's either an incredible deal or a problem waiting to happen...just reinforcing what everybody's been saying...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts